Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm not sure why Stamkos would sign for a max of 2 years in Montreal when he can get more to go play on a better team.
I’m not aware of any contender that can take on $12M AAV, and there’s the MSL relationship factor

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I won’t be surprised if they sign Marchessault to a 3-4 year deal. Franco, veteran, undersized and cup winner. Checks all the Montreal boxes. Plus it gives the Habs some scoring depth on the second line which they need desperately.

I expect RHP, Dvorak, Harris and Kovacevic are all going to be moved and possibly one of our young defensive prospects in a bigger trade package.

Hughes kept gushing about Dach in the year end presser so I’ll assume he figures prominently in their plans - if he can stay healthy.

A lot depends on the draft lottery and where their pick ends up.

I’ll assume the lineup for next year looks something like:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Newhook - Marchessault - Dach
Roy - Beck - Armia
Gallagher - Evans - Anderson

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Mailloux or Reinbacher?
Hutson - Savard

Montembeault
Primeau

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I’m not aware of any contender that can take on $12M AAV, and there’s the MSL relationship factor
Well I didn't say 12M and Stamkos would probably be more flexible on terms if he had an opportunity to win, at least from his perspective, sooner rather than never.

I know Habs fans are dreaming about Stamkos…i think there's a better chance we win a Cup next year than that happening lol

+ side to that is Stamkos would immediately regret his decision not to sign in MTL LOL

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ok lets hear your serious prediction of what UFA will sign in Montreal or predict a trade that will happen

My prediction is Steven Stamkos will sign with the Montreal Canadiens. 3/4year deal.
Doubt he's leaving Tampa.

I think DeBrusk. Size, 25 goals in prime years. Marchessault better fit where has a ring and 40 goals. But he's small and 33.

The next summer I predict Habs sign a big name

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I will bet anyone money that there is 0% chance we sign Stamkos.

If Therrien or Jacques Martin was here you're right.

You got to look at the history and bond between St Louis and Stamkos......
If the word is Stamkos is leaving Tampa, the guy who he calls his mentor and great friend.. is calling from Montreal.

Higher than zero.

Last 3 seasons Stamkos has got 16 , 14, and this season 19 power play goals.
If Stamkos wants to come back home to Canada and play for Marty, Kent
and Gorton will make it happen .

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
If Therrien or Jacques Martin was here you're right.

You got to look at the history and bond between St Louis and Stamkos......
If the word is Stamkos is leaving Tampa, the guy who he calls his mentor and great friend.. is calling from Montreal.

Higher than zero.

Last 3 seasons Stamkos has got 16 , 14, and this season 19 power play goals.
If Stamkos wants to come back home to Canada and play for Marty, Kent
and Gorton will make it happen .
Not happening.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
My random prediction through trade would be Anton Lundell. He's in the age range that Hughes targeted with the Newhook/Dach trades plus he has plenty of room to improve.

He had a great rookie season then hasn't reached that next step offensively since, however similar to the Avs/Newhook trade, Florida is a team in win-now mode so they are focused on winning rather than development.

Our secondary scoring has been terrible, between Dach, Newhook, Lundell and Roy our second and third lines would be capable of providing secondary offense.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Stamkos might be reading the writing on the wall in TB, this year might be a last gasp for them and they may retool. I think @Habaneros has a good point in that MSL and Stamkos have a very tight relationship. Stamkos is looking for more glory (the guy has won, but he also missed a lot of prime year games) and he would be getting in at the right time and MTL could pay him a fat 1-yr contract with bonuses etc. I'd say the chances are extremely low, but relatively speaking they're higher than we'd ever expect solely because of that MSL-Stamkos connection.

A nice off-season would be Monahan + Young Player a la Dach/Newhook as a return for Dman surplus + bottom 6 power winger to upgrade on grit.

Reactions: HabzSauce

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
How can you hate on Catton all year and then want Zegras. Catton is Lucic compared to Zegras in terms of grit determination motor and defensive game
Less to do with what I want and more to do with what I think this management team will want.

Zegras is Cole's best friend, Marty coached him as a kid, he went to BU, was in the USNTDP. The Habs will know him very well.

Hughes wants to have an exciting team and he isn't scared of risk. They believe in Marty and that lockeroom to make players fit into the culture they are building.

Reactions: Pat Riot

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Please no, Marchessault. That would be a multi-year, big money, UFA deal we'd regret after maybe a season and a half.

He's not Joe Pavelski.

As others have said, we would be better served this season by spending a lot less on a serious 4th liner with pedigree and ensuring we have the flexibility to do business when it really matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad