LeBrun: Montreal had chat with Arizona for a 3OA, 5OA swap.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
Coyotes don't have a 2nd rounder this year because of the Crouse trade. So we can't even push for that (unless they trade a 2019 2nd, which I'd be ok with as well).
3rd for 5th + 2019 2nd?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
These types of deals generally don't have crazy +'s attached to them.
- Team A knows they're reaching with who they want at 3 so they want to add assets by moving down and still getting their guy.
- Team B knows exactly what team A is trying to accomplish and isn't willing to give a lot because they'll probably agree to almost any deal since it's basically a free asset for them.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Makes sense considering they want Kotkaniemi. Good chance he's still available at #5 so why not move down and gain an extra pick for doing so. Yotes get to jump over Ottawa and steal Zadina from them.

Problem is everyone probably knows Montreal wants Kotka and thus they wont get a lot of value for moving down. Especially if Arizona is extremely high on Kotka themselves or are high on a guy like Wahlstrom, and are content just to stay at 5 and see how the first 4 picks play out knowing they're guaranteed one of Wahlstrom/Zadina/Kotkaniemi regardless of what happens with picks #2 and #3.

Reactions: cobra427

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
3rd vs 5 and 36? Unless there's a bigger grade around a young center prospect (Strome) which I doubt, or a player like Domi.
Maybe 3 + 62 vs 5 + Domi?

i made a 3+ 56 for 5 + domi not long ago and it was totally denied, wich i can understand from a Arizona perspective, its selling low on domi, but it also depends if they are realy high on Zadina...

Reactions: Sedinsquared

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
- Team A knows their reaching with who they want at 3 so they want to add assets by moving down and still getting their guy.
- Team B knows exactly what team A is trying to accomplish and isn't willing to give a lot because they'll probably agree to almost any deal since it's basically a free asset for them.
of course but it's a 2 spot Jump... You can also skip Ottawa and get the player you actually realy want. like i mentioned above it realy comes down to how high they are on a particular player.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
- Team A knows they're reaching with who they want at 3 so they want to add assets by moving down and still getting their guy.

That's not really how it works. It depends on how bad the Coyotes want Zadina (assuming that's who they are targeting at 3). They can either pony up a good asset to move up and get the player they want, watch the Sens scoop him up, or watch another team come in and trade for 3OV.

Sure they can risk staying put and counting in Zadina falling to 5, but if that were the case, why even make the trade in the first place if you think that's a viable risk.

Its not like the coyotes are the only team interested in moving up either. It would be different if the Coyotes were picking at 4 instead of 5. The Sens are the wildcard that could really screw up Arizona's plans.

I also don't think it's a given that the Habs are taking Kotkaniemi either. From all I've read over the last month or so, it's just as likely that they are looking at a defenceman like Dobson.

Reactions: Runner77

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Coyotes don't have a 2nd rounder this year because of the Crouse trade. So we can't even push for that (unless they trade a 2019 2nd, which I'd be ok with as well).
3rd for 5th + 2019 2nd?
Coyotes have Minn 2nd and Carolina, Calgary and their own 2018 3rds. So they have pieces.

5thOA + Minn 2nd
for
3rd OA

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Just giving a couple recent-ish examples to supplement your post.

In 2008, the Islanders traded #5 to Toronto for #7, #68, and a 2009 2nd. Islanders then traded #7 for #9 and #40.

In 2015, the Devils offered #6 to Columbus for #8, #34, and #129 but the Jackets declined. Going into the draft, I thought Columbus might want to leapfrog Philadelphia at #7 for Provorov but they were targeting Werenski.

In 2007, St. Louis had #9 in what most people thought was a draft with a top tier of 6 or 7. St. Louis wanted Jakub Voracek and offered #9 and #24 to move up, but nobody wanted to move down.

In 2006, Boston offered #5 and #37 to Washington for #4. But since Boston would have taken Nicklas Backstrom at #4, Washington declined the deal. There was similar draft day video in 2009 with Ottawa asking to move up a couple spots with Toronto for Nazem Kadri.

Reactions: King Trouty

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
That's not really how it works. It depends on how bad the Coyotes want Zadina (assuming that's who they are targeting at 3). They can either pony up a good asset to move up and get the player they want, watch the Sens scoop him up, or watch another team come in and trade for 3OV.

Sure they can risk staying put and counting in Zadina falling to 5, but if that were the case, why even make the trade in the first place if you think that's a viable risk.

Its not like the coyotes are the only team interested in moving up either. It would be different if the Coyotes were picking at 4 instead of 5. The Sens are the wildcard that could really screw up Arizona's plans.

I also don't think it's a given that the Habs are taking Kotkaniemi either. From all I've read over the last month or so, it's just as likely that they are looking at a defenceman like Dobson.
I'm not sure this is worth more than the Minn 2nd and swap of an AZ 3rd for a Mtl 4th.

EDIT: Just checked Cap Friendly, Montreal already has FOUR 2nd Rd picks and three 4th Rd picks. 9 picks in the first 4 rounds. Doubtful Habs will want another 2nd...so guess the ask would be a player or prospect in addition to 5OA.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In 2015, the Devils offered #6 to Columbus for #8, #34, and #129 but the Jackets declined. Going into the draft, I thought Columbus might want to leapfrog Philadelphia at #7 for Provorov but they were targeting Werenski.

Would be funny if #129 was the deal breaker for Columbus. lol

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm not sure this is worth more than the Minn 2nd and swap of an AZ 3rd for a Mtl 4th.

EDIT: Just checked Cap Friendly, Montreal already has FOUR 2nd Rd picks and three 4th Rd picks. 9 picks in the first 4 rounds. Doubtful Habs will want another 2nd...so guess the ask would be a player or prospect in addition to 5OA.
Doesn't hurt to have more picks, you can just trade a couple up to move into the first for instance

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Depends who initiated the "chat". In 2013, when the Canes approached TB to swap from #5 to #3, the rumored asking price was the #5+Jeff Skinner for the #3. That was the Canes asking though. In this case, if MTL is the ones looking to move down, I would think the price won't be that high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad