Montreal Expos, what's next? UPDATE 3/25 - Stephen Bronfman says “I think we’re close.”

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
still not buying it, Kev

I really don't know what it is that you're not buying. I can't help you if you don't see that the structure MLB has now was something they never really intended and they've been dealing with a less than ideal situation ever since.

Manfred is gung-ho on expanding to 32 because it's far easier number logistically, it adds excitement/dollars, kickstarts (and could fund) the DH decision, and because Montreal is interested in coming back.

The only two issues against expansion are "finding #32" and a lack of quality pitching. But the second one never stopped them before.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Kev: The earth is round.

CHRDANHUTCH: Not buying it.

Kev: Provides evidence

CHRDANHUTCH: Not buying it.

Kev: Even more evidence.

CHRDANHUTCH: Still not buying it, Kev.
A) not required to

and

B) There's no evidence suggesting MLB is expanding past 30, and the logistics to do that between franchise availability, the minor league landscapes as they are presently are enough to handle as it is as evidence of the franchise threads being here, this isn't a Vegas or a Seattle ready to go here

KevFu

May 22, 2009
B) There's no evidence suggesting MLB is expanding past 30, and the logistics to do that between franchise availability, the minor league landscapes as they are presently are enough to handle as it is as evidence of the franchise threads being here, this isn't a Vegas or a Seattle ready to go here

I don't think there's evidence MLB expansion is imminent, like announcement coming soon (not like Vegas/Seattle).

But this is more like back during the last NHL CBA when there was buzz it was probably going to happen.

MLB expansion to Montreal is much like NHL expansion to Quebec: It looks very stagnant, but it is eventually GOING TO HAPPEN. They just need the ducks in a row part.

MLB is talking about it to drum up interest in team #32. Which is exactly what the NHL was doing during the last CBA round. They needed someone to say "What about us?" and got Vegas instantly and now Seattle coming soon; and they need one more (western city) to bring in with Quebec.

MLB is looking for #32. Just like the NHL's "Expansion to Quebec/Markham. Seattle as landing spot for Coyotes? No Portland was plan B. They also talked about Las Vegas. Las Vegas could get an expansion team. They've had talks with Alexander in Houston, too" months of rumors; Manfred is mentioning Portland, Nashville, Charlotte... hoping a rich guy says "Hey, if this is happening, I want to be a part of it."

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't think there's evidence MLB expansion is imminent, like announcement coming soon (not like Vegas/Seattle).

But this is more like back during the last NHL CBA when there was buzz it was probably going to happen.

MLB expansion to Montreal is much like NHL expansion to Quebec: It looks very stagnant, but it is eventually GOING TO HAPPEN. They just need the ducks in a row part.

MLB is talking about it to drum up interest in team #32. Which is exactly what the NHL was doing during the last CBA round. They needed someone to say "What about us?" and got Vegas instantly and now Seattle coming soon; and they need one more (western city) to bring in with Quebec.

MLB is looking for #32. Just like the NHL's "Expansion to Quebec/Markham. Seattle as landing spot for Coyotes? No Portland was plan B. They also talked about Las Vegas. Las Vegas could get an expansion team. They've had talks with Alexander in Houston, too" months of rumors; Manfred is mentioning Portland, Nashville, Charlotte... hoping a rich guy says "Hey, if this is happening, I want to be a part of it."

it doesn't matter Kev... no matter what you post it has ZERO relevance WHERE IS the Montreal ownership, and all Montreal cares about is LES HABITANTS 24/7/365, you really want another pro franchise buried on page 20 daily in Montreal, I know this from the QMJHL Era, and now Courteau has lost his relocation venue due to the Canadiens owning the Laval Market

KevFu

May 22, 2009
then why are you arguing the point then, at present there are REPORTS of expansion, nothing more

I think you missed my point: You asked where the Montreal Ownership group was; I named the ownership group.

They want to bring MLB back to Montreal. It's been reported abundantly. They've written to the 30 owners of MLB, and the commissioner, and talked with/met with him.

All I've said is "expansion to Montreal is going to happen as soon as they find another owner in another city who wants into MLB." Which is absolutely logically true. Montreal ownership wants in, Manfred keeps talking expansion.

You keep arguing that "circumstantial evidence is wrong" because they are REPORTS that mean nothing and there's no ACTUAL evidence.

Yeah, no (feces). ACTUAL evidence is an MLB press release announcing expansion to Montreal and another city. OF COURSE we're talking about circumstantial evidence because that's all there is!

You keep arguing that my circumstantial evidence "is wrong." Either argue that I'm drawing a conclusion from circumstantial evidence which is likely wrong, or you draw a different conclusion from circumstantial evidence; or simply say "I don't care about circumstantial evidence" and let people keep discussing circumstantial evidence. Because what you're doing is totally pointless and frustrating.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think you missed my point: You asked where the Montreal Ownership group was; I named the ownership group.

They want to bring MLB back to Montreal. It's been reported abundantly. They've written to the 30 owners of MLB, and the commissioner, and talked with/met with him.

All I've said is "expansion to Montreal is going to happen as soon as they find another owner in another city who wants into MLB." Which is absolutely logically true. Montreal ownership wants in, Manfred keeps talking expansion.

You keep arguing that "circumstantial evidence is wrong" because they are REPORTS that mean nothing and there's no ACTUAL evidence.

Yeah, no (feces). ACTUAL evidence is an MLB press release announcing expansion to Montreal and another city. OF COURSE we're talking about circumstantial evidence because that's all there is!

You keep arguing that my circumstantial evidence "is wrong." Either argue that I'm drawing a conclusion from circumstantial evidence which is likely wrong, or you draw a different conclusion from circumstantial evidence; or simply say "I don't care about circumstantial evidence" and let people keep discussing circumstantial evidence. Because what you're doing is totally pointless and frustrating.
no, I'M BEING REALISTIC, so stop arguing

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I loved the Expos. IMO the Expos would not get long term support at the box office. It wouldn't be a successful franchise and the owners would be bleeding money.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
no, I'M BEING REALISTIC, so stop arguing

That's not being realistic, that's being ignorant. Manfred has frequently discussed expansion and has indicated expansion is something the league wants to do and will do when they figure out the stadium situation in Oakland and Tampa. We also know there is a Montreal ownership group who has had discussions with both the league and the city, and has hired an architecture firm to draw up blueprints. Manfred has also talked about Montreal and an MLB city. We knew Vegas was going to happen way before the league formally announced it.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That's not being realistic, that's being ignorant. Manfred has frequently discussed expansion and has indicated expansion is something the league wants to do and will do when they figure out the stadium situation in Oakland and Tampa. We also know there is a Montreal ownership group who has had discussions with both the league and the city, and has hired an architecture firm to draw up blueprints. Manfred has also talked about Montreal and an MLB city. We knew Vegas was going to happen way before the league formally announced it.
NOT IGNORANT, but realistic, Montreal sports WILL always be buried behind the Canadiens, no matter what

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: BLONG7

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
There's a lot of nostalgia for the Expos. I'd love for it to happen but think there's cities in the U.S. that are of higher priority for MLB expansion than Montreal.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
There's a lot of nostalgia for the Expos. I'd love for it to happen but think there's cities in the U.S. that are of higher priority for MLB expansion than Montreal.
They could just relocate the Rays to Montreal & they wouldn't have to change divisions, instant rivalry with the Blue Jays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad