TSN: Montreal engraver says they can fix 'Bqstqn Bruins' error on Cup

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
34599673_10215290477627923_7537025592768593920_n.jpg

Louise St. Jacques who is the official engraver of the Stanley Cup believes she can fix many of the mistakes on the Cup. She owns Boffey Silversmiths in Montreal that has had the contract with the NHL for decades.

She told CKGM radio in Montreal that the Boston mistake was probably not a mistake. :rant:

I'm sure @BMC will chime in on this.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yeah, how the heck do they even mess up that bad?

I'm guessing that in 1972, it was done by hand and not by some automated computer program. Either way, wouldn't some human be looking at it and thinking "Bqstqn" can't be right?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yeah, how the heck do they even mess up that bad?

I'm guessing that in 1972, it was done by hand and not by some automated computer program. Either way, wouldn't some human be looking at it and thinking "Bqstqn" can't be right?

Still done by hand at the same Montreal shop the NHL has used forever.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
34599673_10215290477627923_7537025592768593920_n.jpg

Louise St. Jacques who is the official engraver of the Stanley Cup believes she can fix many of the mistakes on the Cup. She owns Boffey Silversmiths in Montreal that has had the contract with the NHL for decades.

She told CKGM radio in Montreal that the Boston mistake was probably not a mistake. :rant:

[/B]I'm sure @BMC will chime in on this.

See above :laugh:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Put me in the camp that thinks that “BQSTQN” wasn’t a mistake.

I’d like to see it fixed. That it was allowed to be uncorrected for so long just makes the NHL look minor league.

Kudos to the silversmith for offering to fix it. A classy move and long overdue.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I generally try to be charitable in assigning motives in life - there's all sorts of reasons errors are made, and more often than not, it's not maleficence, but either a simple lack of knowledge (not everyone has the same knowledge base or interests), misunderstanding, or simply slight carelessness. I know I've made my share of errors/boo-boos on a daily basis.

In this case, as I've always thought, f*** the Montreal engravers and their greasy, poutine-smeared fingers that tarnished the Cup.

I get that it's hard to get everything just right - this isn't Microsoft Word, where you just type letters and they automatically justify themselves. I'm sure there's a lot of advanced planning to do before engraving the Cup. You've got hundreds of characters to get on the Cup, and you also want to do it fast so that the Cup is ready for show...and in 1972, you didn't have the Internet, where you can automatically double-check the spelling of every name.

But there IS a dictionary, and common sense....how do they not know how to spell Boston? They even managed to turn "Deadmarsh" into "Deadmarch" as recently as 1996....two years after Yahoo came into existence. And this isn't a text message to your spouse saying that you'll be "picking up some pens at CVS" where an "i" gets accidentally inserted into a key word - this is the Stanley friggin Cup!

It's not the only error, either...

‘Bqstqn’ Bruins Among Brutal Stanley Cup Engraving Mistakes (Photos)

Apparently it's a family job, too...the Cup has had only four engravers, all who seem to be tied together. But...um...how do you keep a job with all those errors?

Hockey Hall of Fame - Stanley Cup Journals: 34

As for fixing it...eh. I sort of see it as a little bit charming, and a badge of hono(u)r that those Montrealers couldn't bear to write Boston on the Cup. Of course, their descendants would do it correctly in 2011, and that's what counts!

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I always felt bad for Adam "Deadmarch."

I wouldn't want that engraving job. Probably hard on the eyes, hands, and neck/shoulders.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Considering the NHL's current underwhelming marketing gimmick of 'Every letter counts,' they should probably fix it. Imagine having the Bruins in that commercial spelling out 'B-Q-S-T-O-N.'

And I doubt it was a mistake; they know what's up in Montreal. Didn't it come out several years after the fact that they were spying on the Kings' equipment, thus learning McSorley had an illegal stick? ;)

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Put me in the camp that thinks that “BQSTQN” wasn’t a mistake.

I’d like to see it fixed. That it was allowed to be uncorrected for so long just makes the NHL look minor league.

Kudos to the silversmith for offering to fix it. A classy move and long overdue.

I don't think it was a mistake as well.

The letter "Q" phonetic in French is "cul" which is (Ass...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad