Montreal Canadiens Top Shelf Prospect Review

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It should be noted you've been staunchly anti-McCarron since the moment he's been drafted because he was very low in the 2013 LWOS draft forecast, you didn't see him as a first round prospect, and it seems like you felt the need to defend your ranking. We can dig up the posts. You've diminished all of his achievements in a way that's much more pronounced than a simple tempering of expectations. It seems like you've turned a corner and finally accept that he may in fact be an actual NHL prospect, but you still find ways to dig at him at any given chance.

I respect opposing opinions but it really seems like this is about ego above all else.

I've seen their writer Ben Kerr rip into McCarron repeatedly, before the draft. At least, they're consistent. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
i see scherbak as a center is he can get better in the d zone. i like his size, the way he slow the game to give more space for his linemates ... we have alot of wingers prospects, if one of them can be a center at some point, i bet on nikita.

Scherbak developing into a centre would be a real game changer for the organization. It will solve a major problem.

I don't know how likely it is though. The defensive game seems a real issue.

To be clear, I think he'll be fine defensively on the wing, and will be able to do enough at that position. I'm not sure he can do enough at a position with more responsibility.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I envision a Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Scherbak line and if Nikita brings what is expected of him, that would be a first line force to be reckoned with. I'm very much looking forward to seeing him at camp and AHL and/or NHL.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It should be noted you've been staunchly anti-McCarron since the moment he's been drafted because he was very low in the 2013 LWOS draft forecast, you didn't see him as a first round prospect, and it seems like you felt the need to defend your ranking. We can dig up the posts. You've diminished all of his achievements in a way that's much more pronounced than a simple tempering of expectations. It seems like you've turned a corner and finally accept that he may in fact be an actual NHL prospect, but you still find ways to dig at him at any given chance.

I respect opposing opinions but it really seems like this is about ego above all else.

Dig up some of mine on McCarron

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Between Galchenyuk and Sergachev the Habs haven't had a high draft choice. At least McCrimmon has been good enough to play in some NHL games, and the book hasn't been closed. Scherbak is relatively untested but seems to have some potential.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Between Galchenyuk and Sergachev the Habs haven't had a high draft choice. At least McCrimmon has been good enough to play in some NHL games, and the book hasn't been closed. Scherbak is relatively untested but seems to have some potential.

Scherbak is a the biggest x-factor for me. He's still very raw, especially defensively.

That said he's got the best offensive tools of any of our forward prospects and could still end up a first-line winger as a result of those skills. He missed a significant amount of time last season to injury, and even when he came back he wasn't 100%.

He's still very young, would love to see a top-line in the AHL of Reway-McCarron-Scherbak and see how they do.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

fairly accurate. I think Lindgren's better than Fucale though but I guess we'll see.

I don't know if Lehkonen is as good a skater as this article says he is.

I've got a feeling that DLR's gonna have a really good year this year. I've been a broken record about his last 4 games in the AHL but I was really impressed with those 3 goals he scored. If he continues to work on his shot then we all of a sudden have ourselves a big mobile guy who can score.

I actually thought he looked decent near the end of his NHL call up too. He was starting to get some good chances and shown some pretty good flashes. I think people are writing him off too early but I can sort of see why. He should've had a better year last year. I still think he can be a good one but he needs a really good year this year to stay relevant.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Regarding our prospects pool, I think its very deep, we may lack top end talents compared to some teams but we have some very solid guys that might be a bit underrated by some.. A guy like Delarose for example, some seems to have writen him off as a solid prospect but this is a big kid, pretty tough to play against with a pretty high hockey IQ, I think what he needs is only a bit of confidence in his skills but at the end I think he has enough talent to eventually play on a third line and put 30-35 pts with a good +\= ratio.. A high quality bottom liner just like McCarron.. I imagine big Mac and DLR on the same line in the future and I say to myself, wow this team is going to be tough to face in the playoffs!! Unlike Boyle, bigMac can drop the gloves when needed, can drive top opposing players crazy and is very good in front of the net on the PP.. While his pure skills are limited for a top 6 role, he largely compensates with his other qualities when you picture the real impact he has on a team.. I think he is the perfect replacement for Eller in the line-up and I wouldnt be surprised to see him ready for those duties at some point at mid season or at worst at the start of the 2017 season..

Add Sergachev Lehkonen Scherbak Juulsen Fucale Lingren Bitten Hudon Mete Reway and Im pretty sure the Habs have one of the deeper prospects pool in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad