Montreal Canadiens jersey number

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I know it's probably not thread worthy but I didn't know where to post it.

Am I the only one who noticed that the new players don't seem to choose the jersey number they want. It seems that their choice are limited to what they have in stock.

I think it even applies to AHL.

Caufield got the 44 in the AHL which was weird since he always had a low number (8 or 13)
Well Noah Juulsen had #44.

Caufield took #22 in the NHL which was wore by Weise

(cost related? quicker to bring into the lineup? culture?)

Romanov got 27 like Alzner
Staal got 21 like Cousins, Schlemko
Merrill got 28 like Scandella, Reilly, Beaulieu
Edmundson got 44 like Thompson
Anderson got 17 like Kovalchuk
Gustafsson got 32 like Folin
Suzuki got 14 like Plekanec

That can't be all coincidence?

Reactions: Canadienna

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
It is not a coincidence and the Habs believe that choosing your number breeds individuality which is a detriment to team culture. It's ridiculous and just another attempt to squeeze any fun out of the game.

Yeah, and what is worse IMO is that they still seem to let some players choose their numbers. Guys like Weber, Drouin, Perry, Kovalchuk, Toffoli, and probably some others. Nice way to promote team culture, by giving some privilege to some players, but not to the others.

So yeah, I think they should just let everyone choose their numbers

Reactions: Doc McKenna

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Players are free to choose.

they usually have a favourite number, and chances are it’s retired in Montreal so they don’t have much choice.

they then play around with the numbers such as switching the around etc. If it’s still not available they choose something else.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Kovalchuk paid a freaking Rolex to get his jersey number. No privilege here

I think Kulak would’ve done that regardless. Kovalchuk was just being a teammate as players don’t like to switch numbers after they’ve had it for awhile. I remember Gallagher switching from 73 to 11 for Ryder in his rookie season. It’s a respect thing from younger or less high profile players to do it. I don’t think Caufield picking a number different from 8 means anything. He wore 13 in the World Juniors but that wasn’t a meaningful number for him, was it?

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
I think Kulak would’ve done that regardless. Kovalchuk was just being a teammate as players don’t like to switch numbers after they’ve had it for awhile. I remember Gallagher switching from 73 to 11 for Ryder in his rookie season. It’s a respect thing from younger or less high profile players to do it. I don’t think Caufield picking a number different from 8 means anything. He wore 13 in the World Juniors but that wasn’t a meaningful number for him, was it?
Yep and Gallagher recently said that Ryder offered him a Rolex for that number and he never got it hahaha

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Caufield got the 44 in the AHL which was weird since he always had a low number (8 or 13)

Caufield wore number 59 during his first season with the US NTDP. The players on the U17 team always have high numbers, while the players on the U18 team have lower numbers. The players change numbers after their first season in the program.

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
Yeah, and what is worse IMO is that they still seem to let some players choose their numbers. Guys like Weber, Drouin, Perry, Kovalchuk, Toffoli, and probably some others. Nice way to promote team culture, by giving some privilege to some players, but not to the others.

So yeah, I think they should just let everyone choose their numbers

Yes, I was going to mention this with Drouin and didn't even think about the others. Inevitably, this preferential treatment creates misplaced anger between players which ultimately destroys team culture ironically.

Imagine working in an office and your boss saying you can't have any personal items on your desk. Then seeing your neighbour do whatever they want. At times, It's amazing to me that these type of people are allowed lead a multimillion dollar asset.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Yes, I was going to mention this with Drouin and didn't even think about the others. Inevitably, this preferential treatment creates misplaced anger between players which ultimately destroys team culture ironically.

Imagine working in an office and your boss saying you can't have any personal items on your desk. Then seeing your neighbour do whatever they want. At times, It's amazing to me that these type of people are allowed lead a multimillion dollar asset.

At the end of the day it’s just a number and I doubt it’s a deal breaker or a real point of frustration for most, but I do agree that it’s hypocritical and not a good managing style and could definitely lead to friction between the player and management.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
It’s because they know the second they allow new players to pick numbers someone will take 69

Reactions: MXD

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Am I the only one who noticed that the new players don't seem to choose the jersey number they want. It seems that their choice are limited to what they have in stock.

17 is common for bigger/power forwards
28 is a common dman number
21 Staal usually where's 12 but it's retired so he flipped it
27 also seems fairly common amongst Dmen

A lot of the other guys also had their numbers retired/taken Suzuki wore 9 in junior, Eddy normally wears 6.

Basically a lot of young player wear numbers because of star players they either watch or idolize. Because we are the Habs we retired most of them.

For example I wore 9 in Hockey and Baseball because I loved the life story of the Rocket.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

You can only pick numbers that are not worn by other players or aren't retired. That doesnt leave much selection for newcomers in regards to the traditional numbers.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
If I remember correctly the jersey # given out during the season are already pre established if a player is acquired.
Changes are usually made in the summer, so for example I wouldn't buy anything of Caufield is he was to play this season, pretty sure he will pick his # in the off season.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
You listed Plekanec who left in 2018-2019. 56 players dressed for the Habs since and there's 83 numbers available. The chances of seeing this kind of recycling are pretty high.

Otto Leskinen this season wore 64 (last was Pateryn in 2015)

I think you're reading way too much into that.

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
We have so many "good" numbers retired it's hard to get a "good" number. Like the following are all retired

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, 16, 18, 19, 23, 29, 33

That's a ton of commonly worn numbers.
I don't believe in retiring numbers period. You can "retire" the number and put it in the rafters to honor the former great but I don't believe in not allowing future players to wear that number. I get that a really great player wore the number before but eventually the team will run out of numbers if you keep doing it. Plus, typically if a player chooses the number for that team it is to honor the previous great not disrespect him.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
You listed Plekanec who left in 2018-2019. 56 players dressed for the Habs since and there's 83 numbers available. The chances of seeing this kind of recycling are pretty high.

Otto Leskinen this season wore 64 (last was Pateryn in 2015)

I think you're reading way too much into that.

This is exactly what I getting at. We've retired like 15% of all available numbers

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
On the white jersey, you think Habs will ever go back to how the numbers were previously with only the red outline?? I really dislike the white outline, makes the numbers look skinnier.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB
We have so many "good" numbers retired it's hard to get a "good" number. Like the following are all retired

. I'm not a big fan of retired numbers. Retire and hang the jersey is plenty to honor players........To many stupid high football numbers in hockey.......Call me traditionalist I suppose

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013

You have to add 99 to the list.

Some numbers have an history with the team :

22 John Ferguson and Steve Shut
25 Jacques Lemaire
27 Frank Mahovlich and Alex Kovalev
44 Stéphane Richer
79 Andreï Markov

So getting one of these numbers should be appreciated.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1