GDT: Montreal Canadiens @ Detroit Red Wings - MON 7:30PM - RDS/SNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I disagree with you. Come on now...

Since when is a team atop a conference not a contender?

Before this team and the DD bashing, when was the last time it happened?

All those times Anaheim finished a top the Western conference I had them as underdogs to win and definitely not contenders because of huge flaws with their roster. They always had pretty weak centre depth and D depth. They'd finish at the top of the West because they were so top heavy and because Perry-Getzlaf can singlehandedly win games against half the teams in the league. Put Getzlaf against a Zetterberg / Toews / Kopitar for 7 games and his team will lose pretty easily. (they have Kessler now but I'm talking about the past few seasons)

Being first in the conference does not make you a contender. And the poster you quoted presented a pretty glaring flaw that can't be ignored.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal

He's right. No way this team wins a cup with DD at #1 C.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
All those times Anaheim finished a top the Western conference I had them as underdogs to win and definitely not contenders because of huge flaws with their roster. They always had pretty weak centre depth and D depth. They'd finish at the top of the West because they were so top heavy and because Perry-Getzlaf can singlehandedly win games against half the teams in the league. Put Getzlaf against a Zetterberg / Toews / Kopitar for 7 games and his team will lose pretty easily. (they have Kessler now but I'm talking about the past few seasons)

Being first in the conference does not make you a contender. And the poster you quoted presented a pretty glaring flaw that can't be ignored.

we actually had a GREAT run in the playoff last year, what is so different about the team this year that makes you say we won't have the same kind of run?

Gionta, Brière, Budaj and Gorges weren't exactly key factors in post-season... And Vanek was straight up useless in the playoffs. DD was our #1 center for that run too and it worked, eventhough he's a terrible first center

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Last year Colorado weren't a contender. Rangers in 2012 weren't. Washington weren't in 2011. Habs weren't in 2008.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
we actually had a GREAT run in the playoff last year, what is so different about the team this year that makes you say we won't have the same kind of run?

Gionta, Brière, Budaj and Gorges weren't exactly key factors in post-season... And Vanek was straight up useless in the playoffs. DD was our #1 center for that run too and it worked, eventhough he's a terrible first center

You're right and we probably would've made it to the Finals if not for Kreider. But I still have trouble calling the team a contender when they have a hole at such an important position. It's more of a testament to Subban, Price, and our depth that we can actually win the East this year. Chicago / LA / St-Louis would have a field day with our centre depth.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
You're right and we probably would've made it to the Finals if not for Kreider. But I still have trouble calling the team a contender when they have a hole at such an important position. It's more of a testament to Subban, Price, and our depth that we can actually win the East this year. Chicago / LA / St-Louis would have a field day with our centre depth.

then again winning the east still isn't that hard IMO, the numbers are similar but I still think we're far far behind... The real cup final is still the western conference final

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
The offense is hopeless with Therrien. In his presser after last game he was asked what's missing to get the offense going and he had no answer and started praising the Leafs D and then went on rambling about useless things.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The offense is hopeless with Therrien. In his presser after last game he was asked what's missing to get the offense going and he had no answer and started praising the Leafs D and then went on rambling about useless things.

The best coaches in the league would have trouble scoring many goals with our offense, we have some very good offensive players like Pacioretty, Chucky and Plekanec but other than that we have guys like Gally, Eller, Parenteau and DD who are basically 25-40 point players.. we need another talented offensive player badly.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The best coaches in the league would have trouble scoring many goals with our offense, we have some very good offensive players like Pacioretty, Chucky and Plekanec but other than that we have guys like Gally, Eller, Parenteau and DD who are basically 25-40 point players.. we need another talented offensive player badly.
If I remember, last year, we added Vanek, and the coach initially had him on his off wing, on the 3rd line, as a checking winger...Vanek was confused...MT is all about dat system, and playing a system, where even 5 vs 5 we look like we are killing a penalty...it's weird the way we get hemmed in our own zone...
We seem to score off of our transition game, when we force turnovers...we do need another top 6 forward, badly...

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

We have really good C depth actually.

Plekanec
Galchenyuk
Eller
Sekac
Desharnais
De La Rose
Bournival
Malhotra

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
so well when he played with Galchenyuk is because Galchenyuk is a winger playing like a center. Galchenyuk carried the puck and fed Eller and Gallagher. Eller did not have to create anything on that line.

I agree with you there. Eller has thrived offensively with two players, Galchenyuk and Kostitsyn. He's more of a shooter than a passer, so having those two guys feed him the puck did wonders for him.

I'd change up the bottom two lines.
Sekac-DLR-Thomas as our third line, good on the boards and would generate chances. Both Sekac and DLR are good defensively and Thomas uses his speed well.

Bournival-Prust-Weise as our 4th. Bournival and Weise have the speed and the board play to win most dump and chases. Prust can then help out on the boards.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Not surprised to see Gallagher back with DD and Pacioretty since it's been leading up to this happening again for a while now. I'm not crazy about Eller playing wing either but at least he's playing with some offensive players so hopefully he can produce some points. It probably won't last the entire game tonight though.

I still don't know why MT doesn't give the old EGG line a few games. They looked very good when first put together and to start last season but I guess MT doesn't think so since he won't try them together anymore.

Dec 8, 2014

Yep. He doesnt understand pacio has playmaking ability and he suffers from his linemates. Dd is way too predictable and the other coaches take advantage of it they double shift their star centre when dd is on the ice.

HabsDieHard*

It is truly amazing how often he makes excuses for his teams' poor offensive performances.

It's everyone elses' fault but his, that much is clear.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
It is truly amazing how often he makes excuses for his teams' poor offensive performances.

It's everyone elses' fault but his, that much is clear.

name a coach that ever blames himself in the NHL

Press conferences are useless politically correct PR garbage

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
My ideal lineup probably being something like

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
DD-Plekanec-Sekac
Prust-Eller-Thomas
Bournival-DLR-Weise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad