News Article: Montreal Canadiens are an unmitigated disaster and Michel Therrien is to blame

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
When a coach gets fired, all the mean things people say about the job he did in the weeks before he got his walking papers are couched with, “You never want to see a guy get fired, but...â€

And in the case of Habs coach Michel Therrien, the thing you now have to say is, “You never want to see a guy fired, but that coach gave Douglas Murray at least 18 and a half minutes in each of the last three games.â€

And that's as scathing an indictment as one could level against an NHL coach, on the level with a janitorial worker who doesn't know the bristly side is the one you're supposed to put on the floor. At some point, you have to just say, “Here's a guy who doesn't deserve to have his job any more.â€

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...ter-michel-therrien-blame-145607599--nhl.html

PricePkPatch*

When a coach gets fired, all the mean things people say about the job he did in the weeks before he got his walking papers are couched with, “You never want to see a guy get fired, but...â€

And in the case of Habs coach Michel Therrien, the thing you now have to say is, “You never want to see a guy fired, but that coach gave Douglas Murray at least 18 and a half minutes in each of the last three games.â€

And that's as scathing an indictment as one could level against an NHL coach, on the level with a janitorial worker who doesn't know the bristly side is the one you're supposed to put on the floor. At some point, you have to just say, “Here's a guy who doesn't deserve to have his job any more.â€

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...ter-michel-therrien-blame-145607599--nhl.html

That part has some elements of ******** to it. Murray is only -3 while we've had 14 GA.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Lambert - possibly the worst article writer I've ever witnessed online, a complete dolt. Should be against the law to quote anything that tool puts out there.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Lambert bashes everything and everyone. Murray may no longer be that good and the advanced metrics he puts up are beyond putrid, but he's done an okay job all things considered (playing in over his head at 18 minutes).

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Lambert bashes everything and everyone. Murray may no longer be that good and the advanced metrics he puts up are beyond putrid, but he's done an okay job all things considered (playing in over his head at 18 minutes).

While Murray did an okay job given the circumstances, it's still safe to say he shouldn't have been on the ice for 18 minutes to begin with.

The Therrien "experiment" has to stop.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
While Murray did an okay job given the circumstances, it's still safe to say he shouldn't have been on the ice for 18 minutes to begin with.

The Therrien "experiment" has to stop.

Oh, I agree.

Murray honestly hasn't been that bad. Had he been playing 12-14 minutes a game as he should be, we'd be praising him for his robust play and his PK proficiency.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Didn't read the article.

When a writer singles out a player and not the systems that the players are forced to play, then his credibility drops.

PK has been on the ice for more goals against in the last 3 games than Murray.

Systems and approach to hockey always trumps individuals.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
That part has some elements of ******** to it. Murray is only -3 while we've had 14 GA.

Here's the thing though: Montreal's entire defense has, in a very real sense, revolved around sheltering Murray as much as possible. As if Therrien felt he absolutely needed him, but knew he was vulnerable, so gave him the most favorable assignments possible and offloaded the rest on the others.

Murray's a purportedly defensive defenseman who keeps being started in the offensive zone. That helps with his plus-minus. It hurts everyone else who have to take on the defensive load though.

Yeah, it's an individual look, but the usage of Murray is symptomatic of the team-wide issues. Of how Therrien is not using his best set of personnel and then is scrambling with his assignments to compensate. His D-men are in the wrong chairs and Murray is just the most obvious example. And the one you can most point at and say "that's ridiculous".

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Here's the thing though: Montreal's entire defense has, in a very real sense, revolved around sheltering Murray as much as possible. As if Therrien felt he absolutely needed him, but knew he was vulnerable, so gave him the most favorable assignments possible and offloaded the rest on the others.

Murray's a purportedly defensive defenseman who keeps being started in the offensive zone. That helps with his plus-minus. It hurts everyone else who have to take on the defensive load though.

Yeah, it's an individual look, but the usage of Murray is symptomatic of the team-wide issues. Of how Therrien is not using his best set of personnel and then is scrambling with his assignments to compensate. His D-men are in the wrong chairs and Murray is just the most obvious example. And the one you can most point at and say "that's ridiculous".

Exactly. More easy minutes to Murray means more tougher ones for others.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Is Subban playing the worst hockey of his career?

I don't want him to look bad in the Olympics.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Is Subban playing the worst hockey of his career?

I don't want him to look bad in the Olympics.
Since his infamous benching in Philadelphia, Subban has looked, quite frankly, broken. He's got just 1G-2A-3P in the 7 games since and is a staggering -10.

Congrats Therrien. You finally broke your stallion. Now what are you gonna do with him?

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
Since his infamous benching in Philadelphia, Subban has looked, quite frankly, broken. He's got just 1G-2A-3P in the 7 games since and is a staggering -10.

Congrats Therrien. You finally broke your stallion. Now what are you gonna do with him?

It's so obvious he isn't the same, it's quite frankly scaring me and the saddest thing is that it's only ONE of the problems the Habs are facing. We're not out of the woods yet, far from it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's so obvious he isn't the same, it's quite frankly scaring me and the saddest thing is that it's only ONE of the problems the Habs are facing. We're not out of the woods yet, far from it.
Him being broken is killing the team and Price too. PK is such an important cog on our roster.

Kind of like DD on the forwards... Everything is backwards.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Him being broken is killing the team and Price too. PK is such an important cog on our roster.

By the possession metrics he's playing the worst hockey of his NHL career. Looks like Therrien and Bergevin trying to make him a better person has turned him into a much worse hockey player.

Kind of like DD on the forwards... Everything is backwards

Pretty much, Pacioretty being glued to him is a bit of an issue with Plekanec and Gionta struggling a bit in the tough minutes they play. The Habs need Pacioretty, as the team's only good two-way LW (Galchenyuk is getting there, mind you) to play those tough minutes, but they also need him to carry Desharnais or Briere at even-strength. If the front office had any foresight in the summer they would have realised Plekanec-Gionta need a good two-way LW to maximize their effectiveenss and got one to play with them or to take Pacioretty's spot sheltering Desharnais, bumping Pacioretty up to the top line.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Ahhh Habs, breaking their stars since the 80s.

Lafleur left, Roy was shipped for a couple of used stinky jockstraps and look at Subban these days. I miss him flying with the puck, taking over the game.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
By the possession metrics he's playing the worst hockey of his NHL career. Looks like Therrien and Bergevin trying to make him a better person has turned him into a much worse hockey player.

Their plan is working, he will be cheaper now. Clowns.....

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Ahhh Habs, breaking their stars since the 80s.

Lafleur left, Roy was shipped for a couple of used stinky jockstraps and look at Subban these days. I miss him flying with the puck, taking over the game.
I'm not quite old enough to remember the treatment they gave Lafleur; I was just a kid. I did see them move Chelios for a poor return, run Carbonneau out of town on a rail for no good reason, and shatter Muller's heart (from which he never recovered as a player). And of course I damn well remember Roy (and almost breaking Keane in the process). That almost broke me but I stuck with it (and very much enjoyed watching Roy hoist the Cup that year to stick it in Ronald Corey's eye, that incompetent moron). All I've gotten in return is one measly conference finals.

So if this organization breaks Subban, or worse, moves him or lets him walk, I am done as a Canadiens fan, because I will not put up with the inevitable decade of sucking that will result and will certainly not support the grade-A morons & fools who would destroy the greatest hockey talent this organization has produced in damn near twenty years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad