Montreal - Boston (the rivalry)

OopyDoopy

Dec 17, 2008
In a House
You have to psychologically analyse the behaviour of the average Bostonite to understand the root of the rivalry. To start with, his super-ego is under intense pressure from the bostonite inferiority complex-vis-a-vis new york city. A solid documentary called "The Boston Teens" well exemplifies this sort of Bostonite behaviour found throughout the city. From this crushing inferiority complex stems the false machismo we see from Bostonites, the rage at perceived slights, the overwrought tough guy pack response escalating any physical encounter, the need for repeating primitive slogans of bravado to keep up morale, "boston strong" anyone? Overall outwardly all this adds up to an image that the world outside the boston bubble complex views as a form of cretinism, producing a sort of dislike and rivalry with anyone who shares proximity and frequent interactions with the city (such as Montreal and its hockey team).

OH GOD.... the flash back to college psychology brings back so may bad memories...:cry:

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
You have to psychologically analyse the behaviour of the average Bostonite to understand the root of the rivalry. To start with, his super-ego is under intense pressure from the bostonite inferiority complex-vis-a-vis new york city. A solid documentary called "The Boston Teens" well exemplifies this sort of Bostonite behaviour found throughout the city. From this crushing inferiority complex stems the false machismo we see from Bostonites, the rage at perceived slights, the overwrought tough guy pack response escalating any physical encounter, the need for repeating primitive slogans of bravado to keep up morale, "boston strong" anyone? Overall outwardly all this adds up to an image that the world outside the boston bubble complex views as a form of cretinism, producing a sort of dislike and rivalry with anyone who shares proximity and frequent interactions with the city (such as Montreal and its hockey team).

Slightly morose, yet poignant and relevant. I like it.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Another thing that seems apparent (correct me if wrong) with the current bruins is that they love spouting off at the media.

Whether its julien upset at the refs and the habs "embellishing"

Brad marchand questioning the habs character

Lucic calling emelin a chicken.

Yet, how many comments do you hear from the habs side about the bruins?

habitue*

Another thing that seems apparent (correct me if wrong) with the current bruins is that they love spouting off at the media.

Whether its julien upset at the refs and the habs "embellishing"

Brad marchand questioning the habs character

Lucic calling emelin a chicken.

Yet, how many whiny comments do you hear from the habs side about the bruins?

The Habs are owning the Bruins psychologically. Rask cannot win vs the Habs.

I really hope they gonna face each other in the Conference Finals.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
Like other posters have said, the Leafs are like my brother who I fight with and the Bruins are that overgrowned 6' kid from elementary that had to pass all his grades twice. Also, he's a bully and proud of kicking 6yo kids ***** during recess.

didn't know where to put this. look what this ****ing hack wrote today
http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2014/03/bruins_lose_blame_game_too

Well that was a fun read! How can we expect Bs fans to act normally when this is the stuff their newspapers feed them? It's never going to change, it's anchored in their culture. "Do as I say, not as I do". That part about Weaver not manning up is exactly the type of stuff their fans say.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
the way i always look at it is

i respect boston as my enemy, a worthy adversary until the end of time

i have 0 respect for the leafs and wish them nothing but misery

i love beating both equally

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
the way i always look at it is

i respect boston as my enemy, a worthy adversary until the end of time

i have 0 respect for the leafs and wish them nothing but misery

i love beating both equally
I dunno, there was a time when you could respect the Bruins as a rival. I know some of the older posters here can't quite pull away from that historical worldview, since it lasted for a good 3 decades or more. And while their management is still top-notch and the organization runs well and all... I really have to say I can't respect them anymore, not the team and players on the ice. It's a different kind of team, and the hypocrisy and whining, the cheapness of certain players, it's just not the same. :dunno:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I still remember Michael Thelvien's slash on Richer... Man that was brutal. I wouldn't mind the Bruins so much except for the cheap shots on our best players.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The worst thing I ever read on hfboards was written several years ago by a troglodyte from Massachustts who used the board name Sarge88 (and still does). He said he wished the Habs' plane would crash. To emphasize his message, he added "I mean it." Other Bruins fans have expressed indecent thoughts about Chara's mugging of Pacioretty. Sociopathic behavior of that sort is unacceptable. I've come to suppress any sympathy I might feel when a Bruin is nonfatally injured. Although I don't revel in it I'm indifferent to his headaches that are secondary to concussion. If he misses five games, ten, a season, it's not my problem. Let Claude Julien and the neurologists at Massachusetts General Hospital fret about it.

On another plane, I admit to having gloated when Tim Thomas decided he didn't want to play another game for the Bruins. I take particular delight when the underdog Habs reel off a long winning streak against the Bruins. Six out of the last seven regular season games against Tuukka Rask? Too bad it isn't seven.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
.. Let Claude Julien and the neurologists at Massachusetts General Hospital fret about it.

Anyways if there is ever a problem with a Bruins player we can always refer them to the world famous doctor and hockey player Doctor Mark Recchi...

TwxNbmf.jpg

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The worst thing I ever read on hfboards was written several years ago by a troglodyte from Massachustts who used the board name Sarge88 (and still does). He said he wished the Habs' plane would crash. To emphasize his message, he added "I mean it." Other Bruins fans have expressed indecent thoughts about Chara's mugging of Pacioretty. Sociopathic behavior of that sort is unacceptable. I've come to suppress any sympathy I might feel when a Bruin is nonfatally injured. Although I don't revel in it I'm indifferent to his headaches that are secondary to concussion. If he misses five games, ten, a season, it's not my problem. Let Claude Julien and the neurologists at Massachusetts General Hospital fret about it.

On another plane, I admit to having gloated when Tim Thomas decided he didn't want to play another game for the Bruins. I take particular delight when the underdog Habs reel off a long winning streak against the Bruins. Six out of the last seven regular season games against Tuukka Rask? Too bad it isn't seven.

only need to win 4 :P

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The Bruins and their fans' obsession with diving turns me off from the rivalry. It's just annoying.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Chiarelli and Julien went a long way to re-ignite the present rivalry.

The Bruins used to be a wimp team that was not fun to watch at all. And along comes Chiarelli and all of the changed.

It was around that time that the Habs decided that being small was important.

Worlds collided because the Bruins figured out they could intimidate the Habs. Once the balance of power is reached again, the rivalry will slow down a bit.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.

I don't know how much of this is tongue-in-cheek, but if you seriously want to characterize the "Boston Strong" motto as just an instance of false machismo and primitive bravado then that just confirms to me how totally out of touch you are with the people you pretend to describe, and the mere fact that you would use that as ammunition for your diatribe is an example of how some fans -on both sides of the rivalry - lose perspective of the fact that what we're squabbling over is quite trivial in the grand scheme. Humanity should trump jersey colors, at the end of the day.

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
Nice to see someone around my age! I also go back to the late 60s and think the rivalry's much more fun these days, with parity guaranteeing that neither team gets too far ahead for too long. I know what you mean about the hope/fear dichotomy -- I keep vacillating between wanting to see another classic matchup between our teams, and wanting to avoid the blood-pressure and intestinal issues that inevitably result.

Perfectly expressed! Best rivalry for us also. No comparison, I hate the Habs and respect them too.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
I still remember Michael Thelvien's slash on Richer... Man that was brutal. I wouldn't mind the Bruins so much except for the cheap shots on our best players.
It was the only way Boston could advance. Richer was tearing them apart that year. They did the same to Buffalo not long ago taking out Vanek because he was tearing them apart. Boston's motto, if you can beat them injure them.

TravisF

Jul 11, 2011
www.artbreak.com
My hatred for the Bruins really started when Chara broke Max's neck and wasn't even suspended for it! Also all the other cheap shots over the years of the big dumb ugly Bruins players don't help. Also their announcers, reporters and fans always talk down on the Canadiens. Their jealousy is of the Habs is sickening.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It was the only way Boston could advance. Richer was tearing them apart that year. They did the same to Buffalo not long ago taking out Vanek because he was tearing them apart. Boston's motto, if you can beat them injure them.
The way Richer was playing that year we had a serious shot at the cup. It hurts just to think about...

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
My hatred for the Bruins really started when Chara broke Max's neck and wasn't even suspended for it! Also all the other cheap shots over the years of the big dumb ugly Bruins players don't help. Also their announcers, reporters and fans always talk down on the Canadiens. Their jealousy is of the Habs is sickening.

How about McLaren on Zednik?

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
How about McLaren on Zednik?

That's the one for me.

It's also important to note that journalists/commentators from both cities, who played for the teams, continue the sentiment. Like when you hear PJ Stock talk you can tell he doesn't like the Habs, same goes to all thef ormer Montreal coaches on RDS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad