Montreal, a top 10 team?

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
If you're looking at the entire season so far, then yes, stastically (goal differential is a good proxy), they are possibly one of the top 10 teams in the NHL.

However, while I'm not sure whether or not later games are weighted more heavily in the guy's algorithm, I feel as though the Habs should have dropped out of the top 10 in light of their recent form if proper weighting is used in the algorithm.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Imo we're somewhere between 10th and 15th. But there's so much parity in this league that you never know what can happen. A few injuries and you're out of the playoffs.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
When healthy, sure. But I'm not sure I quite agree with his method of ranking. Would love another stats expert like mathman to comment on this.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Imo we're somewhere between 10th and 15th. But there's so much parity in this league that you never know what can happen. A few injuries and you're out of the playoffs.

Total agree. Injuries to bubble teams kill them. They don't have the depth or enough high talent to care them for long term injuries

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Kind of surprised we are so high.

According to this we are 18th.
On the GA front, we are fourth which bodes well for PO.
5-5 F/A we are 14th. Our PP and PK is helping us a bit.

I can't see us in 10th position right now.
We may be in top 15th. Given we are in the East, we may be in PO.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
He is wrong. Everyone knows in Montreal you are only as good as your last 2-3 games.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
No ****ing way*. We should be 20+ if it wasn't from Carey Price performance.

He is wrong. Everyone knows in Montreal you are only as good as your last 2-3 games.

The thing is that we are playing bad since the beginning of the season.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No ****ing way*. We should be 20+ if it wasn't from Carey Price performance.

The thing is that we are playing bad since the beginning of the season.

Last time I checked Price was part of the team. I must have missed the part where it said it was a ranking of the teams if we ignore the goalies. Price is a big part of our team, why wouldn't he be included in a teams rankings?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I would say reaching the 2nd round of the playoffs is the better measurement (with a couple of spots allotted for close 1st round series losers vs. top teams).

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
If you're looking at the entire season so far, then yes, stastically (goal differential is a good proxy), they are possibly one of the top 10 teams in the NHL.

However, while I'm not sure whether or not later games are weighted more heavily in the guy's algorithm, I feel as though the Habs should have dropped out of the top 10 in light of their recent form if proper weighting is used in the algorithm.

all of our last games were pretty close even in Colorado we deserve a better fate than what we're getting. Also we've been playing mostly top ranked Western teams. No other team in the east as played more games vs the west and we happen to play the best of them.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Just wait until we start playing Eastern Conference teams... you will see we are much better than you think.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Would have been better if he added an injury algorithm contrasted against the output of the substitute player. If the sub contributed, that not only negates the absence of the star player, but enhances the point total because conceivably that adds to a team's depth when healthy. Get to work pencilneck!

Have to move Gionta and Desharnais and upgrade Diaz. Until then, we might be 10th in regular season rankings, but won't go far in the playoffs. And this is probably Markov's last year... Not sure they think we can take a run with Markov though. They might already be thinking post-Markov.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad