Montreal 13th in this week's NHL.com power rankings

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Bounced back after a bad loss to Pittsburgh, won 6 in a row before that, won 7 of the last 8, were in the top 10 before this stretch, goal differential is tied for 11th now but was 28th not too long ago, strong teams find ways to win...

They missed a few important things in those advanced stats.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Funny how last season they ranked the Avs in the top 10 most of the season, even at top 5 for some stretches, despite their league leading PDO, pretty horrible possession stats, below average D, and insane sv pct.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Wow, this ''reporter'' seems to hate the Habs. I mean, it's debatable, but I don't consider us to be a worse team than the Bruins, Wings, Isles, Canucks or Wild.

Not saying that advanced stats should be neglected, but they can only tell so much about a team and should only be part of what a serious ranking is about, not the single factor used.

Last I checked, the points system (win/loss/OT) is what the league uses to rank teams in the regular season, this shouldn't be disregarded so easily when trying to establish such rankings.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Well yes, really.

Power ranking are meaningless and would be even more of a futile exercise if it was a 1:1 copy of the general standing with some witty comments from the writers.

That been said, even if the Habs started playing much better hockey lately, they still have more "undeserved" than "deserved" wins so far and rocks some terribad team stats, so I can see why someone could rank them outside of the top10 after 20'ish game played. That probably would be a different story if they had played 50+ games.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Avanced stats are good. But not when they're used as the one and only source of information. I don't think we're first, but we're definitely not 13th at this point.

I like how Hradek completely ridiculed the said power ranking in the video. It really doesn't make sense.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Power? King Kong can't skate, but he has a long stride. However, after one shift the ice would have to be resurfaced.

P.S. The power ranking argument bores me.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
‏@JessRusnak
#HabsOn690 trying something new on PP. 4 forwards Pacioretty, Desharnais, Parenteau, Eller (Sekac rotating w/ him) and Subban on 1st wave

@JessRusnak
#HabsOn690 PP second wave: Markov, Gonchar, Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Gallagher

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Don't care about power rankings. More often than not, the justifications and analysis are dumb or unjustified.

I don't care for their rankings to stroke my pride of our Glorious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad