Value of: Montour or Ristolainen

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
I can't even remember how Montour played last year. At this point, I'd rather keep Risto and move Montour. I think they have overlapping skill sets but Risto is a bit more physical, right?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I can't even remember how Montour played last year. At this point, I'd rather keep Risto and move Montour. I think they have overlapping skill sets but Risto is a bit more physical, right?

He was good with Phil and not good with Randy. I'd rather see how he plays with the team playing a basic hockey structure featuring puck support and good positioning before they sling him anywhere. And yes, that complicates things.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Sooner have Montour by a fair margin, Montour contract status reduces his trade value though.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I believe Risto is worth more because he’s $5.4 M cap and under contract — I’d say a 1st and top prospect.

Montour is a first and slightly lesser prospect but still a good one.

Neither trade will happen. Scandella is going.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Man I wish you were a hockey GM looking for a RHD.

Montour was good after he got out of Randy hell...and that's despite playing moving to Phil hell. Ristolanen was terrible all year...but yes...he hits sometimes. It's bound to happen when you never have the puck because you have been getting run over when you are on the ice for 440 games.

Reactions: Sabres

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Risto has been the whipping boy ever since he got thrown into the minute munching #1 d-man role
So he has taken a lot of flack the past few seasons because we sucked, now that the team is playing better and winning people don't know how to act. first time since lindy that we had a half decent coach but some people still want to act like Risto is the scum of the earth even though he's still playing close to 25 minutes a game and we're 8-1-1

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Its crazy how a prospect swap has thrown the RD into a must move one scenario. Jokiharju has been so good hes kinda forced their hand. Sabres dont have room for all the D men they have on the roster if all are healthy and that doesnt even consider a healthy Bogo (lol hes never healthy tho)

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Its crazy how a prospect swap has thrown the RD into a must move one scenario. Jokiharju has been so good hes kinda forced their hand. Sabres dont have room for all the D men they have on the roster if all are healthy and that doesnt even consider a healthy Bogo (lol hes never healthy tho)
I know. I almost don't want to move Scandella because of how Joker has played. That's nuts!

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I wouldn't mind scandella. I mean he is a clear upgrade to del sotto or guehle. what's the cost?

Scsndrlla is available He is a UFA. Buffalo likely trades him first then moves a RD to LD.

I hope to get a 2nd for him.

It could be a 3rd and a prospect with retained salary.

Could also move him for a vetwinger who has 1+ yrs on a contract and is top 9.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Man I wish you were a hockey GM looking for a RHD.

Montour was good after he got out of Randy hell...and that's despite playing moving to Phil hell. Ristolanen was terrible all year...but yes...he hits sometimes. It's bound to happen when you never have the puck because you have been getting run over when you are on the ice for 440 games.
No he hits all the time very physical

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I see Ristolainen being the player traded before Montour was considered, unless the offer presented was too obscene not to take from Botterill's camp. You don't trade for a player 9 months ago, and not give him more than a full season. His injury stings, but he'll be coming back to work back into the uptempo game that Krueger wants to run.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I really love Risto. He's worth more in my opinion. I wish he was on the Canucks. I'd pay more for him than Mountour.

Hughes Risto
Edler Tanev
Benn Myers

that would be awesome. Risto wouldnt be needed to play 25 mins a night. Edler would take so much off his plate. Risto would thrive there

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I see Ristolainen being the player traded before Montour was considered, unless the offer presented was too obscene not to take from Botterill's camp. You don't trade for a player 9 months ago, and not give him more than a full season. His injury stings, but he'll be coming back to work back into the uptempo game that Krueger wants to run.

An isdue hanging out there that is a factor...

Montour is an RFA this offseason and would be a UFA in 2021 summer.

How much money and term is he asking for. If he is asking for too much then he could be the one traded. Buffalo has a bunch of young Dmen coming up.

LD
Dahlin RFA 2021
Pilut RFA 2020 , UFA 2023
Bryson ELC, RFA 2022
Samuelson drafted in 2018
Johnson drafted 2019

RD
Jokiharju ELC RFA 2021
Borgen ELC, RFA 2021 UFA 2024
Fitzgerald ELC RFA 2021
Laaksonen drafted 2017

Risto and Miller are UFAs in 2022. I think they keeping of Montour, Risto, Miller beyond 2022 then use their youth for the other two RD slots.

Next year on LD they have Dahlin and Pilut and McCabe who is a 2021 UFA

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
No he hits all the time very physical
It's not just his hits. Multiple times people have taken a run at him and they end up getting leveled while Risto just stands there. Risto has his warts and they're less severe under a competent coach, but he adds a dimension when other teams try be play physical against Buffalo.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I almost always draft Risto in my fantasy pools because of his offensive flair.. but I have to say that was an ugly turnover last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad