Monthly News Thread (September/October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, you'd think Michaels would be dead set vs. it. He's quite religious which I commend him for. Very strange that he'd come back to wrestle in Saudi Arabia given everything that surrounds that country.

If I'm WWE I do a WBF/Original XFL here and pull the plug on this, thing's not worth it.

From a moral point of view, it's definitely not worth it.

From a financial perspective, it's more revenue than Wrestlemania. So yes.. it's very worth it to the WWE.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Looks like they're setting up their fall guy(s) to save face publicly. And we will let that be good for us because oil and that will be that. Just watch. lol

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I would hope that maybe Michael Cole's days as a war reporter might get him to say "This is a bridge too far".

My prediction is that starting tonight, you'll know where "Crown Jewel" is about as much as any other given pay-per-view like when it's in Cleveland or Dallas or Minneapolis.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I would hope that maybe Michael Cole's days as a war reporter might get him to say "This is a bridge too far".

My prediction is that starting tonight, you'll know where "Crown Jewel" is about as much as any other given pay-per-view like when it's in Cleveland or Dallas or Minneapolis.

I think the thing I'm most intrigued about with Raw tonight is how they address the PPV. Given storylines, they have to promote it and can't outright ignore it. Will they mention Saudi Arabia at all? How many times will they mention the PPV?

You're right in that we probably won't hear Saudi Arabia at all but I'm genuinely curious about this all.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Lots of publicity on WWE and Crown Jewel today.

- SI confirmed many WWE superstars are uncomfortable with performing in Saudi Arabia.

- Yahoo Finance has a piece talking about the situation WWE is in with their agreement and how the WWE is a publicly traded company that has to answer to its shareholders and cancelling such an event would cost the company millions of dollars. Yahoo included the blurbs of politicians talking about WWE taking a pause on the event, John Oliver talking about it on his show last night, WWE bending to Saudi Arabian rule and leaving women off their first show.

- Meltzer has said he was told that unless President Trump or the US State Department tells WWE they can't do the show, the show will go on.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Meltzer was on the old LAW show and one of the hosts made the point that wrestling is still carny and everyone accepts Vince is scum and there are no surprises here. It doesn't hurt that Trump has his own sordid personal dealings with the Saudis in addition to America's in general so Trump will probably be happy with WWE not acting like there's anything wrong here. Long term, this will be a bad look for WWE but for now they think they are going to weather this.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Vince and Trump are buddies for a reason. Money is way more important to them then even the appearance of having principles.

I am not saying other American businesses or presidents for that matter haven’t had a long and sketchy relationship with the Saudis. Just that these two have been very open about how they don’t care as long as the Saudis are paying them.

Just need to look at GRR for the proof.

Reactions: GarbageGoal

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- Apparently, there's talks of doing Shawn Michaels vs. AJ Styles at Wrestlemania.

- Booker T and Big Show are scheduled for Smackdown 1000. If The Rock appears it'll be via video.

- WWE is considering moving Zack Ryder to 205 Live.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Vince and Trump are buddies for a reason. Money is way more important to them then even the appearance of having principles.

I am not saying other American businesses or presidents for that matter haven’t had a long and sketchy relationship with the Saudis. Just that these two have been very open about how they don’t care as long as the Saudis are paying them.

Just need to look at GRR for the proof.

I still can't believe Mr America Vince allowed a foreign entity to poach Greatest Royal Rumble as a name.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
So Trump says SA denied any involvement and Mohammed denied any knowledge of what happened at the consulate and now they’re prepared to come out and admit he was killed in a “botched interrogation.”

I wonder what the fall out for WWE will be if SA does admit it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Lots of publicity on WWE and Crown Jewel today.

- SI confirmed many WWE superstars are uncomfortable with performing in Saudi Arabia.

- Yahoo Finance has a piece talking about the situation WWE is in with their agreement and how the WWE is a publicly traded company that has to answer to its shareholders and cancelling such an event would cost the company millions of dollars. Yahoo included the blurbs of politicians talking about WWE taking a pause on the event, John Oliver talking about it on his show last night, WWE bending to Saudi Arabian rule and leaving women off their first show.

- Meltzer has said he was told that unless President Trump or the US State Department tells WWE they can't do the show, the show will go on.

If a lot of the roster refused to go, would Vince fire all of them?

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- Austin Aries is no longer under contract with Impact. His match last night was the final one of his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad