Monthly News Thread (September/October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think wrestling needs some legit North American competition to WWE that a name like Jericho backing this would be huge for the scene.

Jericho, Jim Ross, and an owner with over double the net worth of Vince, and a potential TV deal 1-2 years before you have a show?

This is potentially groundbreaking

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Jericho, Jim Ross, and an owner with over double the net worth of Vince, and a potential TV deal 1-2 years before you have a show?

This is potentially groundbreaking
yeah, this is huge.

Especially with them supposedly contacting talents in WWE about jumping over. If they could get a couple legit main event guys to help build the brand it'd be crazy, and it's not far fetched considering the owner and the $7-billion net worth attached, along with Jericho's name and notoriety to help in getting a TV deal along with bringing in even WWE fans to watch that wrestling product since all of today's audience would be familiar with Chris Jericho.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I've long held the belief that if anyone was to start a promotion to rival WWE, it'd be Chris Jericho. Now, he needs major financial backing and a lot of manpower to help, but this is a step in the right direction.

I hope it comes to fruition. Imagine a new brand of wrestling in North America with names like Chris Jericho, Kenny Omega, Cody Rhodes, The Young Bucks, Marty Scurll, Hangman Page, hell even guys in WWE that might have expiring contracts soon like A.J. Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura, Gallows and Anderson. They might never want to go back to Japan or jump ship to Impact/ROH, but something like this might appeal to them.

Still a very long shot at this moment, but I hope something serious comes of this.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Considering their history I highly, highly doubt it. I don’t think they’re friends.

I wonder what WWE guys he’d be able to poach.

I don't think Jericho cares. He even mentioned in his podcast that Punk was the guy he called to bail him out. Think Punk gets his weirded out, "This guy tried to use me" thing.

The more likely problem is that I just don't see Punk coming back to wrestling at all. He's the one guy who's hard-headed enough that he'll see himself as a failure if he has to come back to it. But who knows, maybe he'll see working for a rival promotion as a way of sticking it to WWE.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
- Taz in a recent interview voiced his frustration for not being approached to return to SmackDown 1000. He said he never heard anything, and feels that since he was one of the voices of SmackDown, with Michael Cole, for over 320 episodes, that you'd think he could of been brought back even to call a match. Taz says he thinks the reason he was never asked is simply because he left. Everyone wanted to stay and Taz said they offered him a great deal, but he just wanted to take a break. He offered to work the WrestleMania (his last episode was the go home show) but that didn't end up happening. He said Stephanie and HHH couldn't seem to understand he just wanted a break and just wanted to leave. He said everyone was awesome, and he enjoyed his time, but says he thinks the fact he just left on his own terms has essentially made him dead to the WWE essentially.

- Daniel Cormier is apparently doing a tryout to become a WWE commentator. He said during a scrum in Las Vegas he was going to Orlando after UFC 230 to do the tryout.

- While the previous plan was Ronda Rousey vs Charlotte Flair at WrestleMania, apparently Ronda Rousey vs Becky Lynch is being discussed. It's believed Charlotte vs Rousey is the bigger match from a historic standpoint, Becky vs Ronda would likely get more attention from the fans. Charlotte has no heat, but it's simply due to Becky's momentum. That said, WrestleMania is still 5+ months away, so things can change.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Becky really got that brass ring god damn.

I don't think Jericho cares. He even mentioned in his podcast that Punk was the guy he called to bail him out. Think Punk gets his weirded out, "This guy tried to use me" thing.

The more likely problem is that I just don't see Punk coming back to wrestling at all. He's the one guy who's hard-headed enough that he'll see himself as a failure if he has to come back to it. But who knows, maybe he'll see working for a rival promotion as a way of sticking it to WWE.
Punk bailed him out when they were still friends in WWE.

Jericho revealed they’ve never talked since he left even after he tried checking in and got nothing. Punk thinks Jericho was trying to use him for info on the podcast.

I think Punk is more in the wrong here because he misread Jericho’s intentions, but i don’t think they’ve talked in 4 years since Punk has been gone. Hell, Punk doesn’t really talk to anyone except a handful of people from WWE apparently, and even that might be generous on my part. I can only think of Kofi, Joe and him acknowledging Daniel Bryan’s retirement when it happened (although even Bryan’s said there’s respect there but he never really considered himself to be close friends with Punk iirc).

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
@Cor can you please start using a source in your posts? Just to cover us when we are posting this stuff, it should include a source or where it was heard from.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@Cor can you please start using a source in your posts? Just to cover us when we are posting this stuff, it should include a source or where it was heard from.

We like, rarely post sources cause @M.C.G. 31 and I are the main news posters and we only use reliable sites.

But alas

Source #1: Taz himself
Source #2: Cormier himself
Source #3: PWI

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We like, rarely post sources cause @M.C.G. 31 and I are the main news posters and we only use reliable sites.

But alas

Source #1: Taz himself
Source #2: Cormier himself
Source #3: PWI

Yeah... it's for site liability. :laugh: ColePens doesn't give a shit. I would hope people here are posting legit stuff. We have great posters. I appreciate it. :)

Reactions: Cor
Oct 18, 2011
Y2J starts a wrestling promotion and Vince goes off to XFL. Yiiiikes.
This is key

How distracted will Vince be?

There is alot of talent out there rn and I think the fans have a deep desire for competition. You just can't TNA this thing. The appetite is there for a mature product on a bigger scale.

I can only speak for myself but I just find WWE completely cringy now, I wouldn't want any of my friends to catch me watching it

Reactions: dahrougem2

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If Jericho/Ross/Jag's ownership were to buy some of the high end indies it might be cheaper to integrate then re-market the new package.

Imagine a wrestling leadership of Jericho/Ross/Bucks/Rhodes with the Jag's owner providing funding? (He failed at a $790 million bid for Wembley so he's got capital laying around.)

Hook up with NWA and Billy Corigan. That could be a powerful junta.

Last edited:

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
via (their own) Twitter: AXS TV and Jericho denying starting a new promotion

(which makes sense for now i guess.)

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I would trade Y2J for Benoit as a wrestler everyday of the week. Benoit going nuts still hurts, I was never a huge Y2J guy and basically he holds the flag for Canada at this point from the past. Owens and Zayn I guess are the new guys, but they don't have the history.

Feb 24, 2017
I would trade Y2J for Benoit as a wrestler everyday of the week. Benoit going nuts still hurts, I was never a huge Y2J guy and basically he holds the flag for Canada at this point from the past. Owens and Zayn I guess are the new guys, but they don't have the history.
Over Bret Hart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad