Post-Game Talk: Monsters @ Wild | 2/14/2013 | 6:00 MT |Stoppable Force vs Movable Object

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Stastny's got 6 Points in 6 Games after 1 point in his first 6 games.

Looks like a beat may have been awoken.

After last night game, cant help but think this team with Landy, ROR, and EJ in the roster, we'd be a legitimate team.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
A Downie with his head screwed on right would be a core piece, or so I'd like to think.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Stastny's got 6 Points in 6 Games after 1 point in his first 6 games.

Looks like a beat may have been awoken.

After last night game, cant help but think this team with Landy, ROR, and EJ in the roster, we'd be a legitimate team.

Stastny wasn't all that horrible in the first few games either. McGinn could have put home at very least 2-3 goals on Stastny assists. One thing we really know about him is that he will produce points at a fairly consistent rate (~0.8 PPG pace). The 2011 calendar year was just horrible to him. I'd rather have ROR as our #2C just for the effort and all around game he brings, but Stastny can be a very solid #2C for this team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
A Downie with his head screwed on right would be a core piece, or so I'd like to think.

Or at least the type of player you need to be successful over the course of the season. I really hope he comes back with a vengeance next year

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Interesting. Either we were that good last night or Minny is really that bad. I havent figured it out.

1. Matt Duchene took over the second half of this game. Look at that shift right after Mikko scores. He went Forsberg angry and got the tieing goal back right away. People wanted to trade this kid lol I miss ROR but im very happy with Matts overall game.

2. That Rupp goal on Giggy was total horse manuer. You cant just shove the freakin goalie into the net. Was not pleased with that at all.

3. Nice to see Pulashaj get a goal. He seems to have a scoring touch in and around the net so thats always good.

4. Tyson Barrie. Did being a healthy scratch all those games help this kid or what? Another stellar game from the kid. I thought he was our best Dman again and moved the puck very well to our forwards on the breakout.

5. Hunwick and Zanon. Cant get much worse then these two bozo's. That one play in the third where Hunwick just lets Giggy's pass go through and theres a Wild player there to get it was total face palm.

6. Il Duce still got the mitts. Love seing vintage Duke score. I still think Duke should be placed between the hash marks on our PP but maybe its just me.

7. Was anyone else terrified going into the shootout with Giggy? I was haha I thought he had a pretty solid game all around. Definetly better then his Calgary game and this might not be a popular idea but I want him to play in Edmonton since Varly gets creamed in Western Canada like always.

8. I cant believe we beat Minnesota. With the roster we put on the ice especially. We always have a hard time against these guys.

9. Cody Mcleod had a very underrated game imo and to be honest with you he has been pretty good role player this year. I have yet to see one dumb Mcleod penalty this season.

10. Can Casper win a faceoff? Can Casper stay up on his feet? Is it just me or did Casper sign up for the Kyle Quincey slip and fall school this winter? He wasnt terribad last night but damn guy stay up.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Interesting. Either we were that good last night or Minny is really that bad. I havent figured it out.

Minny was pretty bad, but we played a decent game all things considered.

10. Can Casper win a faceoff? Can Casper stay up on his feet? Is it just me or did Casper sign up for the Kyle Quincey slip and fall school this winter? He wasnt terribad last night but damn guy stay up.

This I find odd, unless Casper is now Palushaj or Mitchell and not Staz. The guy was great last night and we'd have lost without his solid effort.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
With the way Duchene is playing right now, imagine having ROR as well. Then imagine that for the next decade, and through their prime years.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Offensively, yes he did. Defensively I thought he looked a step behind everyone.

Remember that play where Barrie (I think?) lost it at the blue line and it went back the other way for an odd-man rush?

Stastny, who was deeper in the zone, around the net if I recall... was the first guy back and putting pressure on the Minnesota shooter.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem saying Stastny looked apathetic out there, mostly playing positional hockey and making the smart pass but otherwise just going through the motions.

But tonight he played with some fire and really looked great out there. I can't remember the last time I've seen him carry it from our zone, through the neutral zone and then drive the net with authority.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Minny was pretty bad, but we played a decent game all things considered.

This I find odd, unless Casper is now Palushaj or Mitchell and not Staz. The guy was great last night and we'd have lost without his solid effort.

He wasnt awful just didnt like how often he felt the need to kiss the ice. He did make a sweet cross crease pass to PAP that backstrom made a nice save on. I still think he shouldve shot on that 3 on 1.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Have not been tracking it each game, but it seems to me Duchene has been so good on faceoffs this year that the other teams best guys (especially on the road) are getting put up against Stastny. Could explain partly his % drop at the dot.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
They looked good but we are really going to struggle against top lines without EJ. Stazz was great I don't see the complaints. Jones has looked better the past few games and Duchene is a bonafide star. Our third is surprisingly good, all three give so much effort. It's a shame Kobasew just isn't slightly stronger of a skater or slightly faster he'd be like his old self.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Have not been tracking it each game, but it seems to me Duchene has been so good on faceoffs this year that the other teams best guys (especially on the road) are getting put up against Stastny. Could explain partly his % drop at the dot.

Duchene has looked great between the dots I dont have the stats but I think hes improved on the dots big time.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Regarding Stastny, for some reason it seems like Avs fans need to prop up their players. It happens with EJ too. Stastny was good last night. But he wasn't great. And I think he is still a shadow of what he used to be. I used to be the guy defending him. Telling most fans that you don't understand how good he is. He did so many things right. Board battles, defensive positioning, cycling the puck. Stastny is probably hurt more than anyone with our pathetic transition game. He needs to have sustained pressure in the d-zone to create scoring chances, and with our awful d that just doesn't happen enough. I was really hoping that with ROR gone this year Stastny would see the opportunity to step up, and take on more. He just isn't a leader, or doesn't appear to be a leader to me. It sounds cliche, but he doesn't seem like a difference maker to me.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Remember that play where Barrie (I think?) lost it at the blue line and it went back the other way for an odd-man rush?

Stastny, who was deeper in the zone, around the net if I recall... was the first guy back and putting pressure on the Minnesota shooter.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem saying Stastny looked apathetic out there, mostly playing positional hockey and making the smart pass but otherwise just going through the motions.

But tonight he played with some fire and really looked great out there. I can't remember the last time I've seen him carry it from our zone, through the neutral zone and then drive the net with authority.

Again Stastny played a solid game, I just thought Jones and Pulashaj were more noticeable. Offensively Stastny looked creative and had jumped. He even had a few solid defensively plays as you said Loanwolfe, but there were also times he was step behind covering a guy. I remember a few times he was covering the player in the slot (when the puck was behind the net) and he lost his man on more than one occasion. Those were prime scoring chances if we were facing a team that had the ability to pass the puck (Let's just say Wild's passing game is not that adequate).

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Agree with all of this.

Regarding Stastny, for some reason it seems like Avs fans need to prop up their players. It happens with EJ too. Stastny was good last night. But he wasn't great. And I think he is still a shadow of what he used to be. I used to be the guy defending him. Telling most fans that you don't understand how good he is. He did so many things right. Board battles, defensive positioning, cycling the puck. Stastny is probably hurt more than anyone with our pathetic transition game. He needs to have sustained pressure in the d-zone to create scoring chances, and with our awful d that just doesn't happen enough. I was really hoping that with ROR gone this year Stastny would see the opportunity to step up, and take on more. He just isn't a leader, or doesn't appear to be a leader to me. It seems cliche, but he doesn't seem like a difference maker to me.

I thought he was better than you're letting on but if you're using how good he USED to be, I agree.

I think you're a 1000% correct here. The style of game he used to play under Quenneville and to what he's had to adapt to with Sacco over time, hasn't helped his game AT ALL. It's really a shame that Sacco is clueless and hasn't put Landeskog on his line (when healthy) at ALL because he's exactly the right fit for him, in my opinion. He's a much better version of Jamie McGinn.

It's also funny that Sacco doesn't seem to realize that McGinn hit EIGHT posts in 5 games playing with Stastny. Apparently, that doesn't count for anything. I guess it was Stastny's passes that made him hit the posts and not go in the net. :sarcasm: lol

As far as the leader thing goes, I don't think he wants to be THE man. I don't see that as part of his personality. I think he's perfectly fine being an important part of the team as an assistant or what have you and I also think he likes playing and living in Denver. The style of game they are playing is not really helping him though, so if he wants out, I wouldn't really blame him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Did know where else to really put this, but for advanced statistics nerds, Barrie has had his corsi numbers shoot up. For the season his corsi is 12.81 and relative corsi 18.3. Both are outstanding numbers for a young defenseman.

For comparison sake:

Barrie corsi 12.81 corsirel 18.3
Yandle corsi 9.48 corsirel 15.8
Boyle corsi 13.69 corsirel 21.0
Subban corsi 6.89 corsirel 14.6
Kulikov corsi 8.83 corsirel 18.7

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
Pretty good game overall last night. Stastny's not where he was at the beginning of his career, but I can definitely live with the Stastny that played last game (aside from the faceoffs, yikes only 7 of 23). Barrie looked amazing last night, which is good to see. Hopefully he's done with sitting out games in favor of guys like Zanon, SOB, or Hunwick.

With that said, it's not like Minnesota is a great team. Like most teams that add major pieces, they need some time to gel together.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Pretty good game overall last night. Stastny's not where he was at the beginning of his career, but I can definitely live with the Stastny that played last game (aside from the faceoffs, yikes only 7 of 23). Barrie looked amazing last night, which is good to see. Hopefully he's done with sitting out games in favor of guys like Zanon, SOB, or Hunwick.

With that said, it's not like Minnesota is a great team. Like most teams that add major pieces, they need some time to gel together.

No Minnesota isn't a great team right now but they do have some seriously dangerous forwards that Barrie had to contend with and shut down. Parise, Heatley and Havlat...

Their defense is what hurts them really... I was surprised Suter signed there knowing he wouldn't have another legit top pairing defender next to him. His hometown thing and the contract overcame that I guess, but hes going to catch some serious hell if he does not turn it around.

As for people talking about Stastny, I'm fine with him as our #2 center. He has at least proven in the past that he can be a PPG player when we give him the talent to do so. Which can continue to be built, especially if we draft high this year. As long as he wants to stay and is willing to take a bit of a pay-cut (5-5.5M) I'm happy with him.

Hate Jones & Zannon, two biggest mistakes Sherminator has made so far. (I get the Jones signing though, but dump his ass ASAP)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Did know where else to really put this, but for advanced statistics nerds, Barrie has had his corsi numbers shoot up. For the season his corsi is 12.81 and relative corsi 18.3. Both are outstanding numbers for a young defenseman.

For comparison sake:

Barrie corsi 12.81 corsirel 18.3
Yandle corsi 9.48 corsirel 15.8
Boyle corsi 13.69 corsirel 21.0
Subban corsi 6.89 corsirel 14.6
Kulikov corsi 8.83 corsirel 18.7

I'm not a stat expert, but I just don't get the importance of that stat. If it's such a good indicator of a quality defensman, how come the top fifteen defenseman in that stat isn't littered with the best defensman in the NHL? Karlsson is the only name on there that's a legitimate top defensman, and everyone's played about the same amount of games except for a couple guys.

Jake Muzzin
Alec Martinez
Slava Voynov
Marc Andre Bergeron
Aaron Johnson
Marc Methot
Erik Karlsson
Joe Corvo
TJ Brodie
Jakub Kindl
Matthew Irwin
Yanick Weber
Dennis Wideman
Paul Postma
Dougie Hamilton

Here's the list for the relative corsi stat. Same thing. Seems like a very pointless stat.

Bergeron
Ehroff
Matthew Irwin
Colaiacovo
Nick Holden
Paul Postma
TJ Brodie
Tallinder
Jakub Kindl
Wideman
Cody Franson
John Moore