Post-Game Talk: Monsters @ Wild | 2/14/2013 | 6:00 MT |Stoppable Force vs Movable Object

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
I'm not a stat expert, but I just don't get the importance of that stat. If it's such a good indicator of a quality defensman, how come the top fifteen defenseman in that stat isn't littered with the best defensman in the NHL? Karlsson is the only name on there that's a legitimate top defensman, and everyone's played about the same amount of games except for a couple guys.

The stat is imperfect, but it's not useless. I wouldn't put any stock into it this early in the season, especially for Barrie who has only played 5 games. But if you start looking at a full year's data it starts to make much more sense.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The stat is imperfect, but it's not useless. I wouldn't put any stock into it this early in the season, especially for Barrie who has only played 5 games. But if you start looking at a full year's data it starts to make much more sense.

Yea, it does appear to have more legit names looking at the 2011-12 season with D that played at least 40 games. Still has some weird names in there though, while some pretty good ones are much further down the list. Seems kind of misleading, but I haven't fully analyzed it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I still can't get over that Giguere stopped two five-hole attempts in the shootout.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not a huge advanced statistics person... I just found that interesting. Corsi is basically a different and in theory more accurate +/- stat (it is based off shots directed towards the net). The relative version attempts to take opponents lines into account. So, somebody that has shifts with Landeskog all the time will have inflated corsi numbers because he shoots so much. Not a useless stat, but one that has to be used in context. It will be interesting to see where Barrie ends up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad