Signing(s): Monster Kyler Murray extension in Arizona (through 2028)

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
The all time greats prepare and study, which is the usual.

Brady, Manning, Elway, heck even Rodgers who has a personality of a chocolate covered onion puts time and effort on film/study.

To become great, you have to study and put in the time to improve/stay committed. You can't just rely on your athleticism all the time, sure it can make great highlights but you gotta be smart in the pocket, pick your reads, know when to dump it off to your safety blanket in case a play goes sideways.
that's just the thing, it appears murray doesn't want to be great he just wants to make great money. that is his right, the NFL is a job after all, but no position in professional sports requires a stronger work ethic and both mental + physical preparation than being a NFL QB.

if I'm a player there's no f***ing way i can take this guy seriously in the slightest as the leader of my team. not even close. say what you will about a guy like Lamar Jackson for example, the man has his limitations, but competitiveness is not one of them. Kyler appears to be more the Jay Cutler type in terms of attitude.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
that's just the thing, it appears murray doesn't want to be great he just wants to make great money. that is his right, the NFL is a job after all, but no position in professional sports requires a stronger work ethic and both mental + physical preparation than being a NFL QB.

if I'm a player there's no f***ing way i can take this guy seriously in the slightest as the leader of my team. not even close. say what you will about a guy like Lamar Jackson for example, the man has his limitations, but competitiveness is not one of them. Kyler appears to be more the Jay Cutler type in terms of attitude.
It’s interesting. Wasn’t he a football-and/or-baseball guy? And I feel like maybe he thought football was an easier path?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

This is no different than when guys get workout bonuses

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Murray clapping back, as expected, but he got exposed by his team. It's out there forever.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

I dunno about Cutler's attitude being that poor. Cutler ate the pain in Chicago. Not sure Kyler would even be alive with the level of bad Chicago's oline was.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta
Sep 19, 2008
this contractual line backfired and I'm told by sources that they removed it from his contract

it's just caused such a stir

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
You wonder if they knew they were going to remove it all along but they wanted the court of public opinion to hear it first and then issue a "correction". (It's a common attorney move with regards to motions and questions asked).

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You wonder if they knew they were going to remove it all along but they wanted the court of public opinion to hear it first and then issue a "correction". (It's a common attorney move with regards to motions and questions asked).

Why though? Seems like you'd just be creating a situation for no reason and at the end of the day all parties look terrible, with the Cards somehow coming off worse.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I mean, I'm a fan of one of the jabroni-est franchises in the history of football but the Cardinals come out as the biggest jabronis on the planet here. Murray is going to try to get all the money he can. It's up to the team, much more so than Murray, to make the smart financial decision for the franchise here.

Congratulations Cardinals, you've locked your team into a sumo-sized overpayment for a QB with a questionable work ethic, obvious competitiveness and focus problems and an inability to throw from the pocket or to perform when the going gets tough. Sure, he can get better, but his monumental flaws really do limit what a team can accomplish with him as a leader. They're probably going to be mediocre; not bad enough to have a realistic chance at a franchise QB at the top of the draft, but not good enough to be a serious threat to represent their conference in the Super Bowl. In other words: the dead zone.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Why though? Seems like you'd just be creating a situation for no reason and at the end of the day all parties look terrible, with the Cards somehow coming off worse.
Well, one thing to consider is that Kyler did cast the first stone of apparent immaturity(his Insta-delete) but still apparently got everything he wanted(his coach got paid and then he got paid). Then this news leaked out. Then they pulled it out of his contract to avoid the player's union citing abuse via grievance or as point in the next CBA.

Ultimately, the end result is Kyler got paid big with no penalty but got a little embarrassed in the process. He either can either, in the future, confirm that the embarrassment was deserved by continuing to mail it in or prove the owners wrong by voluntarily going to film and having the results bear fruit on the field.

There is no per se legal battle due to the withdrawal of the clause...but the embarrassment could hopefully give Kyler at least some motivation to put in more work, even if only for the sake of PR. It appears the Cards management would rather just blow the money on a lazy Kyler and his coach as the worst-case scenario instead of screwing the golden goose for all the owners by risking a real legal fight.

In terms of tangibles, the Cards basically appeased Kyler but just tossed in a shade just to have their say and prod him.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Well, one thing to consider is that Kyler did cast the first stone of apparent immaturity(his Insta-delete) but still apparently got everything he wanted(his coach got paid and then he got paid). Then this news leaked out. Then they pulled it out of his contract to avoid the player's union citing abuse via grievance or as point in the next CBA.

Ultimately, the end result is Kyler got paid big with no penalty but got a little embarrassed in the process. He either can either, in the future, confirm that the embarrassment was deserved by continuing to mail it in or prove the owners wrong by voluntarily going to film and having the results bear fruit on the field.

There is no per se legal battle due to the withdrawal of the clause...but the embarrassment could hopefully give Kyler at least some motivation to put in more work, even if only for the sake of PR. It appears the Cards management would rather just blow the money on a lazy Kyler and his coach as the worst-case scenario instead of screwing the golden goose for all the owners by risking a real legal fight.

In terms of tangibles, the Cards basically appeased Kyler but just tossed in a shade just to have their say and prod him.

Yeah, my first thought was that despite the clause, I don't blame the Cardinals for throwing that money at him. If he can have the stetches he's had without watching film seriously, goddamn.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I mean, I'm a fan of one of the jabroni-est franchises in the history of football but the Cardinals come out as the biggest jabronis on the planet here. Murray is going to try to get all the money he can. It's up to the team, much more so than Murray, to make the smart financial decision for the franchise here.

Congratulations Cardinals, you've locked your team into a sumo-sized overpayment for a QB with a questionable work ethic, obvious competitiveness and focus problems and an inability to throw from the pocket or to perform when the going gets tough. Sure, he can get better, but his monumental flaws really do limit what a team can accomplish with him as a leader. They're probably going to be mediocre; not bad enough to have a realistic chance at a franchise QB at the top of the draft, but not good enough to be a serious threat to represent their conference in the Super Bowl. In other words: the dead zone.
Lol ,when you become a Dallas fan? Between every single jabroni player ,thier fans hands down are the very definition of Jabronis .Instead of a star there should be a pair of clown shoes on thier helmet.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Lol ,when you become a Dallas fan? Between every single jabroni player ,thier fans hands down are the very definition of Jabronis .Instead of a star there should be a pair of clown shoes on thier helmet.
4e6.gif

• Haha
Reactions: sigma six

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Yeah, my first thought was that despite the clause, I don't blame the Cardinals for throwing that money at him. If he can have the stetches he's had without watching film seriously, goddamn.
Murray is a law issue waiting to happen if he doesn't get the money. Former high draft picks like Trubisky, Wentz, RGIII, Jeff George all had second lives in part because their previous talent grants them legal weaponry even if they look bad on film analysis. Something something unfairly not given employment and opportunity.

Besides, with the talent around Kyler(DHop), they Cards might have had to shell out more next year because the numbers are what negotiations are based on. If Kyler had a 30TD, 4400 yard season, the contract numbers would be even larger due to "inflation" and if Kyler's work ethic does not change, their hands would be tied even more.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Murray is a law issue waiting to happen if he doesn't get the money. Former high draft picks like Trubisky, Wentz, RGIII, Jeff George all had second lives in part because their previous talent grants them legal weaponry even if they look bad on film analysis. Something something unfairly not given employment and opportunity.

Besides, with the talent around Kyler(DHop), they Cards might have had to shell out more next year because the numbers are what negotiations are based on. If Kyler had a 30TD, 4400 yard season, the contract numbers would be even larger due to "inflation" and if Kyler's work ethic does not change, their hands would be tied even more.

Legal weaponry and film? Can't say I follow what you're talking about.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I dunno about Cutler's attitude being that poor. Cutler ate the pain in Chicago. Not sure Kyler would even be alive with the level of bad Chicago's oline was.
Jay Cutler got a raw deal. They eviscerated him when he came out of that playoff game... meanwhile, his knee was shot. The memes of him with a cigarette in his mouth... He just had a really ‘cool’ demeanor on the field. If he was in a Rodgers, Brady, Manning tier then no one would’ve cared but he was obviously a tier or two below.

This contract feels like a massive risk. It just goes to show how hard it is to find a franchise QB. Even the mid level guys get paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad