WWE: Monday Night Raw 190: Mean Gene-o-Mania! Put out that cigarette!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Yeah it all sounds weird. It’s this bizarre cross of script and reality which makes no sense. When Punk pipe bombed people he didn’t trash the kayfabe GM for his match making, he just cut right to the reasons for his frustration, the McMahons.

And Rollins still doesn’t do it for me on promos (to be fair I haven’t seen this one) so I’m not optimistic. But I’m all for them getting behind someone, anyway as a baby face.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah it all sounds weird. It’s this bizarre cross of script and reality which makes no sense. When Punk pipe bombed people he didn’t trash the kayfabe GM for his match making, he just cut right to the reasons for his frustration, the McMahons.

And Rollins still doesn’t do it for me on promos (to be fair I haven’t seen this one) so I’m not optimistic. But I’m all for them getting behind someone, anyway as a baby face.

The very basic idea on the surface is fine. Give the fans a reason to get behind a babyface. Any babyface.

The problem is yeah, you get this weird mix of shoot and work that doesn’t quite feel right. It doesn’t really address the basic question of why they don’t just book a better show?

Then of course the big thing is they need to actually follow through. It is as silly as it came off if faces continue to be geeked out constantly and the show keeps making zero sense.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lance Storm talked about it last week I think about how faces aren’t relating to the audience, for many reasons, but because their scripted promos are so full of WWE-speak jargon. They rarely come out and make the crowd say don’t make the crowds say “yeah, I agree!” Seth was in the ring and said that the show sucks and Baron Corbin sucks at his job unlike two weeks in a row where Bayley said she wished Alexa Bliss would go away (which is even more dumb now knowing that Vince believes crowds pop and bump ratings to see Alexa cut promos), something that people don’t really desire or agree with.

So here they managed to bring Seth out and make him look like a strong face who has seen this going on and wants to be the hero when he’s seen injustice, and speak for frustrated fans - which is real - and pissed off talent which probably is real, and he has credibility unlike these other faces who we’ve already seen get geeked out. And as the fighting champion so he steps to the plate by making the challenge, putting up his belt and more importantly his credibility (since he’s the only face with any whatsoever) instead of what we always see which is the GM trying to f*** up his shit just because he can.

Not every good promo has to be a pipe bomb, they just brought out their best face on the roster and made him look like their top face, since he is, and made the priority Seth being the hero and getting everyone to put all of their eggs in his basket instead of trying to get HEAT and then in the end didn’t look like an idiot.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
The Seth promo was definitely a weird blend where he brought up issues that are clearly on Vince and creative but attributed it to Corbin. The passing segments, Brock etc. There's no way to kayfabe link that to Corbin. I don't think it takes away from the promo because most fans know what he's actually saying and the point of the segment.

I actually watched more of Raw than I thought I would but Seth is the only watchable thing right now. He got a solid match out of Corbin.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I thought Slater was going to snap and cost Corbin the match last night.....I wish they didn't book him to be so meek as a ref, dude should have a legit axe to grind and not be so keen to toe the party line.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Bro. He has kids.

He needs that job.

I think it was Corey Graves last night who said something along the lines of "morality doesn't pay the bills".

So is Heath Slater just going to be a crooked ref every week? I'm assuming Corbin will insist he serves as the ref at TLC on Sunday. Eventually he'll reach a breaking point, maybe culminating in a 1 on 1 blow-off match with Corbin after Corbin loses at TLC.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The opening segment was interesting but I don't like the show being that self-aware. I didn't go through the entire show yet but the opening part kept me watching just to see how deep their self-criticism would go. I'd rather the product just be better than taking a swipe at itself. The product seemed to lack self-awareness so often that when it does recognize its faults, it does it in such a heavy-handed way. You open the show and the top guy on the show dress down the authority "avatar" for the show.

Even when Smackdown had a couple of weak shows...it just got better with the performers being the stars and that's the only reason I'd continue to watch. If they wanted to make something different...stop making authority figures front and center. This isn't the days of Vince vs. Austin...they can't recapture that kind of magic.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It was cool to hear that WWE agrees with a lot of what we're saying, but here's where it'll really backfire...

If, at TLC or the next RAW/Smackdown, nothing changes. We all now know that THEY know changes need to be made. If, in like 2 or 3 weeks, we're still getting the same old crap, there are no excuses left.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The opening segment was interesting but I don't like the show being that self-aware. I didn't go through the entire show yet but the opening part kept me watching just to see how deep their self-criticism would go. I'd rather the product just be better than taking a swipe at itself. The product seemed to lack self-awareness so often that when it does recognize its faults, it does it in such a heavy-handed way. You open the show and the top guy on the show dress down the authority "avatar" for the show.

Even when Smackdown had a couple of weak shows...it just got better with the performers being the stars and that's the only reason I'd continue to watch. If they wanted to make something different...stop making authority figures front and center. This isn't the days of Vince vs. Austin...they can't recapture that kind of magic.

Nia Jax is "embracing mediocrity" personified, IMO.

They took her snafu against Becky Lynch and told her to run with it, portraying her as some juggernaut when she's probably one of the weaker in-ring talents on the roster. Gotta imagine most of the women's division isn't too happy that her ineptitude has somehow led to a bigger push than any of them are likely to receive.

Until Creative wakes up, we're stuck with Nia screaming at her own fist and proclaiming how great she is to a sea of bored fans.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I actually didn't watch much of Raw, I turned back in time for Nia's terrible promo and screetch fest and said, I'm out.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think it was Corey Graves last night who said something along the lines of "morality doesn't pay the bills".

So is Heath Slater just going to be a crooked ref every week? I'm assuming Corbin will insist he serves as the ref at TLC on Sunday. Eventually he'll reach a breaking point, maybe culminating in a 1 on 1 blow-off match with Corbin after Corbin loses at TLC.

I wonder if Heath Slater will be the next GM of RAW.

Corbin loses at TLC and the next night on RAW Steph formally fires him. Some comedy bit of "the next person who walks in could do a better job than you" and then Slater walks in.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Slater is definitely a strong enough talker to make it work. Not a long term thing but could probably be an entertaining short run.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well, it would make about as much sense as Corbin getting the job in the first place. :dunno:

I can't remember how or why he was even handed the reins to begin with, instead of just carrying on with his "lone wolf" persona. The whole "Corporate Corbin" gimmick has been a flop.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well, it would make about as much sense as Corbin getting the job in the first place. :dunno:

I can't remember how or why he was even handed the reins to begin with, instead of just carrying on with his "lone wolf" persona. The whole "Corporate Corbin" gimmick has been a flop.
It was fun at the start and a good role for him. The problem is he’s in waaaay too many segments but isn’t nearly as good enough to carry the load and not make people sick of seeing him.

At least when Seth was overexposed it was like “well, he’s awesome, but I’m getting tired of seeing him for the 5th time in 2 hours so far AND he still has the main event to go” whereas with Corbin it’s like “he’s not very good at anything in particular and I want to change the channel, especially knowing he has about 2-3 more segments he’ll be involved in moving forward.”

The main roster really needs to take note from NXT and even pre-AOP 205 Live Drake and just have an authority figure whose only job is to make matches and keep things civilized, not make themselves a part of all the storylines.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
NRMxFum.png

Reactions: BonMorrison

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

That's not surprising at all.....I mentioned earlier in this thread how amusing it is that they keep cutting to commercials, mid-match. Sometimes twice in the same match. Gotta get that extra ad revenue in, right? :help: :laugh:

They're totally overdoing it with the promos and filler segments, too.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Really hoping that was the last ep of GM Corbin now that I realized TLC is this Sunday.

If Strowman can’t go I really hope Wyatt steps in and just kills Corbin and Slater to end the GM storyline.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Really hoping that was the last ep of GM Corbin now that I realized TLC is this Sunday.

If Strowman can’t go I really hope Wyatt steps in and just kills Corbin and Slater to end the GM storyline.
Hmm, I probably should go make a GDT for that...

EDIT: WFT is this eleven matches nonsense!?

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
That's not surprising at all.....I mentioned earlier in this thread how amusing it is that they keep cutting to commercials, mid-match. Sometimes twice in the same match. Gotta get that extra ad revenue in, right? :help: :laugh:

They're totally overdoing it with the promos and filler segments, too.

To be fair - I don't think WWE dictates commercial times....

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Hmm, I probably should go make a GDT for that...

EDIT: WFT is this eleven matches nonsense!?
Feels like they’ve only been building 3 based off what I’ve watched lol

Rollins/Dean, Bryan/AJ, Charlotte/Becky/Asuka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad