WWE: Monday Night Raw 190: Mean Gene-o-Mania! Put out that cigarette!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Saying Sasha is the best woman on the roster with the best matches is like saying Carey Price is the best goalie in the NHL. That **** happened years ago. Time to move on.

I will fight each and every one of you in a rented barn.

No it's not, because no one says that about Carey Price anymore. It's been over 2 years since she's had a chance to be a star, nor have a great match but that doesn't not make her a great worker. That's why her and Ruby have to keep working these 20-minute matches on Raw because they're acknowledged as the people who are great at working.

Yeah, I think both Becky & Charlotte are above Sasha in terms of in ring work right now, and Rousey is well on her way.

Sasha is probably #3 on my list, or 4. I think Rousey will surpass her by Mania.

Ronda is an illusion in that regard. She'll be better than all of them in-ring eventually because the priority is to make her look as good as possible on TV not to make her a good wrestler. Anybody in this business can be great in-ring if they get the time and resources to take time away from doing live shows in order to work out the PPV match not unlike how all movies with all the stunts and fight scenes look awesome. All but like two of her matches were done that way, and the two that weren't were terrible. If she wants to hit the road and do the house shows or be able to put a 15-20 minute match together the day of the show without practice, then that's different - she would be trying to be a real wrestler.

Probably why smark fans are starting to turn on her.

The girls who are mostly succeeding are on one show. So maybe there’s your answer.

Vince is running out of blondes to push too since Carmella changed her hair color. Good news, Lacey Evans is on the horizon, and she sucks.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Well, that's too bad about Lacey Evans. I like the pinup look myself, but it's weird that she's got a "right hand" gimmick like Nia and they are putting it over in that video.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, that's too bad about Lacey Evans. I like the pinup look myself, but it's weird that she's got a "right hand" gimmick like Nia and they are putting it over in that video.
She was way better as a face during the first Mae Young Classic, but she is basically a worse Alexa Bliss who is smoke and mirrors in the ring and has a weak finisher.

I hate when a punch to the face is a finisher, because why wouldn't they just punch them in the face?

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

I tend to think that the whole Nia Jax face breaker thing is dead, she didn't land one in the Rousey Match and then got her head punched off.

I expect that it was part of her punishment to make her just plain look like a loser.

When she comes back I'm betting that there will be no mention of the face breaker, and she'll be repackaged as a face by having Tamina turn on her.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
She was way better as a face during the first Mae Young Classic, but she is basically a worse Alexa Bliss who is smoke and mirrors in the ring and has a weak finisher.

I hate when a punch to the face is a finisher, because why wouldn't they just punch them in the face?
The punch gimmick would work great if they were to enforce the 'no closed fist' rule.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Maybe it's me but I put Rousey right next to Charlotte and Becky. She could do a hell of a lot worse on the mic too

Absolutely not. All four horsewomen plus Asuka are better workers then Ronda. I would put a few other women like Ruby ahead of her as well.

Ronda’s matches are heavily choreographed to hide her shortcomings. If they had to call a match in the ring with her, it would be a disaster.

She isn’t a bad worker. Nia, Bliss, and Lana are bad workers. She is a pretty good one, especially for how raw she is, but it put her above the actual top women workers in the company is a bit insulting.

I want Ronda/Becky for the spectacle, not the work rate. I do not expect it to be better then Becky/Charlotte at Evolution as far as pure in ring work goes. Overall package with story, hype, spectacle maybe, but with just work I doubt it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Ronda is a better worker right now than Bayley is, imo.

I think the top 5 right now are Becky, Charlotte, Banks, Asuka and Rousey (no particular order)

I expect Ronda to most likely surpass them all in a year. She's similar to Kurt when Kurt came over. She's great.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
For anyone criticizing heavily worked out matches, Savage made Steamboat practice step by step every move of their WMIII match.

It's just a point that it doesn't make someone a bad worker, it's just how some guys/gals are.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think we really know how good Ronda is or isn't yet. Her matches are generally pretty short, one sided, heavily scripted or very overbooked.

She's very good at what she's done so far but I don't see her as a top ring talent yet. No reason why she couldn't get there though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For anyone criticizing heavily worked out matches, Savage made Steamboat practice step by step every move of their WMIII match.

It's just a point that it doesn't make someone a bad worker, it's just how some guys/gals are.

Did they do every match like that though?

I could see if you're doing a match like Wrestlemania, but she's pulling her opponent off the road to do this while the others are working the house shows and getting the actual work in in front of a crowd, which for most programs IS the practice if they've got a PPV match coming up.

Their only priority with Ronda is to make her look good as good as possible not expose her because the reality is she hasn't been around enough to work on her own.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
She's just a pretty complete package, marketability and all. Not for nothing, however her matches are run, they aren't poor and she did build a legit good character in a fighting sport before she even got here. Whatever she does bring counts when wrestlers bring variety to the show. Was the Rock a better wrestler than Bret the Hitman Hart? Is he not on Bret Hart's level in this sport?
As far as I'm concerned right now there is no separating any one of Ronda Becky Charlotte and Asuka for the total package legitimacy all bring to the table.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Randy also planned his matches himself. Ronda isn’t down there in the performance center planning these matches. Everyone else is and she is following their instructions.

He also didn’t have nearly as much time to rehearse his matches like she does because they were also working house shows. It isn’t really the same thing.

It’s fine because for now it works. The matches end up being good and the crowd still are into them. It doesn’t make her a top worker though.

Also no, The Rock was not on Bret’s level as a worker. Not a lot of people were. Rock was all about charisma, he could work, but it was more personality with him. Plus he got over in an era where work rate wasn’t valued nearly as much as it is now.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Absolutely not. All four horsewomen plus Asuka are better workers then Ronda. I would put a few other women like Ruby ahead of her as well.

Ronda’s matches are heavily choreographed to hide her shortcomings. If they had to call a match in the ring with her, it would be a disaster.

She isn’t a bad worker. Nia, Bliss, and Lana are bad workers. She is a pretty good one, especially for how raw she is, but it put her above the actual top women workers in the company is a bit insulting.

I want Ronda/Becky for the spectacle, not the work rate. I do not expect it to be better then Becky/Charlotte at Evolution as far as pure in ring work goes. Overall package with story, hype, spectacle maybe, but with just work I doubt it.

I wouldn't call Lana a bad worker these days. She's improved a lot and may continue to do that.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Imagine a crowd ****ting on a Ronda match and her having to stick to what she practiced because she’s not good enough to change up on the fly based off crowd response. Oufff.

Imagine something accidental happens to her or her opponent and they'd have to improvise the ending of the match. Remember how on Raw Orton accidentally hit the ring post outside the ring vs RVD and was a bit dazed after that and RVD carried him to the end of the match (Orton won with an RKO)?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
OMG they are raising hell!!!

24_Holiday_12032018cg_Riott_Squad_01662--70902a05b772701a2de5086fcdcaff9d.jpg

I don't know why I'm so amused by this gimmick.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Imagine something accidental happens to her or her opponent and they'd have to improvise the ending of the match. Remember how on Raw Orton accidentally hit the ring post outside the ring vs RVD and was a bit dazed after that and RVD carried him to the end of the match (Orton won with an RKO)?
that, or when Randy separated his shoulder in a match with Edge and Edge had to carry him to an audible double countout finish after Edge rammed himself into the barricade attempting a spear after telling Randy to move.

or when HHH/Randy had to improvise the finish to a LMS match when Randy broke his collarbone about 10 minutes in.

she would really, really struggle in the event of something happening and if she's not in there with someone who knows what they're doing it would get so, so ugly.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
that, or when Randy separated his shoulder in a match with Edge and Edge had to carry him to an audible double countout finish after Edge rammed himself into the barricade attempting a spear after telling Randy to move.

or when HHH/Randy had to improvise the finish to a LMS match when Randy broke his collarbone about 10 minutes in.

she would really, really struggle in the event of something happening and if she's not in there with someone who knows what they're doing it would get so, so ugly.

I think that is why a triple threat for Mania between The Man, Ronnie and Charlie makes sense. In the event should something unexpected happen during the match, there would be veterans in the ring to help carry the match through and adapt to an audible.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Audible in the middle of a match? Much less the main event of Wrestlemania? Absolutely no way, not unless there's an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad