Post-Game Talk: Momentum building?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't really know if having this many young D is ideal for a team that's trying to "win as soon as this year", maybe McDavid is so good he can overcome that, but that's an awful lot of inexperience.

The trade value a Zegras would have would be enormous if he played with a McDavid or Draisaitl, that has to be factored in too, Arizona would probably have to add to Chychrun for example to get Zegras if he was putting up 80+ points here, which I don't think would be unreaosonable. He's a 60+ point player in Anaheim, now factor in McDavid or Draisaitl being on his line.

I think you always take the BPA, you shouldn't ever draft based on positional need. Now hopefully for the Oilers Broberg is a decent player himself, I'm not really sure if I see the upside of a no.1 D there, but at least he's useful right now whereas earlier in the year that wasn't the case.
Zegras will be an 80+ point player during his prime. The big knock on him now is his defensive game but I bet that gets cleaned up once Anaheim fires Eakins. I always saw Zegras as a flashier RNH, you'll never win anything if he's your 1C. The Oilers went for need instead of BPA during that draft but I feel like Broberg will eventually be a top pairing D.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Have to admit the close up of Desharnais battling with McCann got me more excited than it should have.

Zegras will be an 80+ point player during his prime. The big knock on him now is his defensive game but I bet that gets cleaned up once Anaheim fires Eakins. I always saw Zegras as a flashier RNH, you'll never win anything if he's your 1C. The Oilers went for need instead of BPA during that draft but I feel like Broberg will eventually be a top pairing D.

I think he's Gaurdeau-esque where he'll put up big numbers in spurts, but will ultimately be pushed out of any kind of playoff series if he is your go to offensive catalyst.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Zegras is made for the new new hockey era in 50 years from now where hockey is played like lacrosse and the players are shaking and baking like Harlem Globe Trotters

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Have to admit the close up of Desharnais battling with McCann got me more excited than it should have.

I think he's Gaurdeau-esque where he'll put up big numbers in spurts, but will ultimately be pushed out of any kind of playoff series if he is your go to offensive catalyst.

If only the Oilers had other offensive catalysts ... like a Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl ... oh wait ... lol. If Zegras if like your 3rd or 4th offensive option, the other team probably is going to have some rough nights trying to hold that much fire power down.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Caufeild >>>> zegras anyways. Caufeild might score 50 here with our centers. Broberg has to pan out and be a top pair D otherwise I’ll never be satisfied. What he’s doing now is an encouraging step but nothing more.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If only the Oilers had other offensive catalysts ... like a Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl ... oh wait ... lol. If Zegras if like your 3rd or 4th offensive option, the other team probably is going to have some rough nights trying to hold that much fire power down.
I still think Broberg is going to be a better player than Zegras. If you believe that Broberg is going to be a top pairing defenceman, then he was the right choice.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Caufeild >>>> zegras anyways. Caufeild might score 50 here with our centers. Broberg has to pan out and be a top pair D otherwise I’ll never be satisfied. What he’s doing now is an encouraging step but nothing more.

Agree. I think the team could benefit more with another guy or two who have a knack of scoring.

Not many sniper/shooter types on this team.

Still glad that Broberg is progressing though. Would be huge for the team if he can turn into a Top 2/3 dman.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

The Oil draft was quite possibly Dylan Cozens or Broberg where you're talking a big right handed skilled centre/winger option for an overwhelming left shooting team or a big two way defender with an elite skating package. Moot point when Buffalo opted for Cozens.I think McTavish will be the playoff engine on that Ducks team whenever it gets out of rebuild mode.

Oil opted to fortify their blue line which had been a largely neglected critical backbone area over a decade of rebuild(s). We saw glimpses of Broberg's potential last year just games into his first recall with an opposition game in Vegas with 20+ minutes and March 20+ minutes on RD in arch enemy Calgary's rink. A year and a half into North American play and it looks like this kid is arriving. Worth a little bit of time for defense prospects. Broberg's +4 pops out in a critical division win.

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
Not sure what was up with my account last night as I couldn't log in......

Anyways so great to see the team playing a better all around game. Other than the 2nd goal last night, Campbell has looked real good in his last 4 starts. Only let in 2 vs Anaheim, 1 vs San Jose, 3 vs Vegas and 2 last night. 8 goals allowed in the last 4 games and I think only 2 were goals he wish he could have had. He's playing much better. I'd let him play again tomorrow against Tampa Bay. I would love to see his confidence be sky high.

Desharnais has been fantastic. Kane will be great after he gets a few games in. Happy he is back. I'd keep Foegele and Yamo around. Puljujarvi is the one who needs to be shipped out. Foegele I think can be an effective player for us. He could have scored 4 last night.

Fun to win!

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Was just looking at Campbell's game by game log and here's a wild stat. He allowed less than 3 goals only twice in his first 15 starts (big yikes) and since has allowed 2 or less in 6 of his 7 starts.

Safe to say that Campbell has turned his game around. Good for him and team. Skinner having a baby when he did might be the best thing to happen to Stuart and Jack. ;)
Stu pulled the goalie at the right time ;)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Caufield is who I wanted because he reminded me of Debrincat.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Foegele needs to learn Hymans breakaway move, but be the left handed version. He seems to be getting a nose for breakaway opportunities

Remember when oil fans were calling Broberg a bust not that long ago? Happy we are over that stage. Next stage is crying about Zegras. That nonsense will be kyboshed quickly.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Desharnais is a stud.

Glad broberg is doing well.

Love Pulju but we didn’t miss him at all last night.
Sad but true. I love pool party. Mostly because that smile is infectious.

But yeah. We looked better without him. Sail on bison king. I hope you kill it on whatever other team you end up going to.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Oil draft was quite possibly Dylan Cozens or Broberg where you're talking a big right handed skilled centre/winger option for an overwhelming left shooting team or a big two way defender with an elite skating package. Moot point when Buffalo opted for Cozens.I think McTavish will be the playoff engine on that Ducks team whenever it gets out of rebuild mode.

Oil opted to fortify their blue line which had been a largely neglected critical backbone area over a decade of rebuild(s). We saw glimpses of Broberg's potential last year just games into his first recall with an opposition game in Vegas with 20+ minutes and March 20+ minutes on RD in arch enemy Calgary's rink. A year and a half into North American play and it looks like this kid is arriving. Worth a little bit of time for defense prospects. Broberg's +4 pops out in a critical division win.
As much as the other picks like Zegras and Caufield turned out and are looking very sexy, it is far more difficult to obtain a top notch dman in a trade/signing than a winger (like Kane, Hyman, etc). As you said, it's a been a position of need for a long time, and now we just need to hope he's finally turning the corner and can really start progressing, along with Bouchard, and the kids up front.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This is exactly how I see it. The Oilers don't need more playmakers as much as they need finishers who don't need the puck all the time to succeed.

But in relality if Broberg ever hit his full potential that would be huge for the Oilers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This is exactly how I see it. The Oilers don't need more playmakers as much as they need finishers who don't need the puck all the time to succeed.

But in relality if Broberg ever hit his full potential that would be huge for the Oilers.
Hell if he's just a solid & reliable top-4 defenseman who can be affordably signed for around a decade that would be huge.

Reactions: Oilhawks

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
So Edmonton has the most reg wins in the pacific. Sickens me when I see those welfare Flames right under us with 9 loser points

Please let them miss the playoffs.

I listed to a podcast with Luke gadzic. This clown actually said "I still believe Calgary has the deepest 1-4 in the division"

I'm assuming he meant Cs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad