Mock Expansion Draft: Tweaked With Fan Feedback

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Thanks to the mod who made this a separate post rather than a reply to my Easter mock. Some boards are picky about too many new threads on the same topic, so that is why I posted it as a reply. I do feel it warrants a separate post and I'm looking forward to more feedback as I prepare for my final mock in mid-June, likely between June 17 when the protection lists are submitted and June 21 when the roster is unveiled. Fun times ahead!

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Subban's NTC was able to be removed by Nashville because it hadn't yet come into effect when the Subban-Weber trade was made. A team receiving a player that has an NTC/NMC coming into effect in the future can nullify that clause but if the NTC/NMC was already in effect then it is unaffected.

Good article so far, I'm still reading it. Just wanted to point that out.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
That makes sense, but once you waive it — to be traded or picked in the expansion draft — do you automatically get the NTC/NMC back with the new team? I think that might still be up to Vegas, whether to honour those clauses that have been waived. Sticky situation and I'm not sure if NTC/NMC carry over to new teams.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Assuming the Islanders do the 3-5-1 scenario(to protect all their defensemen) I would have to think the smart move for Vegas would be go with Strome. While if I was an established team looking to challenge for the cup I would go with Nelson, I think a team like Vegas has to swing for the fences to try get the best top end players they can and Strome is more likely to be that the Nelson(although he is more likely to fizzle out as well). In the case of Bailey I can't see them having interest in a guy who is a UFA next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the day the Islanders try work out something to get Vegas to pick Hickey or Kulelmin(ie offer then picks/prospects)

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I could see that "boredmale", Garth Snow and George McPhee worked together up until McPhee was named Vegas' GM. Snow hired McPhee as an advisor and they presumably have a good relationship, so it wouldn't be surprising if they worked something out. It also wouldn't be surprising if Strome was selected over Nelson based on that higher ceiling. I like your thinking.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Oh right, I forgot to address Yakupov. My bad. I've always been a fan and hope he somehow succeeds next season, wherever he lands, but I'm not holding my breath haha

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00