NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft with Trades and Comments

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
This is my second go at a mock draft. I have expanded my mock to 30, done a re-ranking after watching some of the memorial cup playoffs and includes some trade predictions.
I think this will be one of the exciting draft due to the even nature of the first round we are bound to see some maneuvering by the GMs to get the player they want.

Here goes:

1. Edmonton - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins C

I still think that Adam Larsson would suit Edmonton's team needs better but the talk of these boards that RNH to Edmonton is pretty much a done deal. Taylor Hall gets a great set up man.

2. Colorado - Jonathan Huberdeau W/C

His MVP performance in the memorial cup playoffs has elevated Huberdeau to pick 2 imo. Although a natural center, I see his future at wing in Colorado and I expect him to jump straight to NHL and take Chris Stewart's old spot in the top 6.

TRADE: Florida trade pick 3, pick 33, pick 47 to Ottawa for pick 6, pick 21, pick 35.

3. Ottawa (via FLA) - Gabriel Landeskog W

Ottawa couldn't risk missing out on getting a potential second coming of Daniel Alfredsson. Landeskog will have a perfect mentor in Alfie and provide Ottawa which much needed scoring, toughness and leadership potential.

4. New Jersey - Adam Larsson D

New Jersey won the draft lottery on draft drawing day and they could very well win the lottery on draft day if Larsson falls to them as I have predicted. He provides the Devils with a franchise defenseman that they haven't had since the retirement of Scott Stevens and the soon departure of Scott Neidermayer.

5. New York Islanders - Dougie Hamilton D

A really tough decision to make for Islanders. I think they will pick Hamilton as they have got a really good young core of forwards and could use more talent on D. Hamilton is an excellent selection and some scouts think he is the best all round defenseman in the draft.

6. Florida (via OTT) - Sean Couturier C

Florida took a risk trading down and picking up an extra first rounder but they are very pleased that they can still get one of the top forwards in the draft. Couturier is probably more favored than Strome due to his impressive size. I think he will form a great 1-2 combo with Stephen Weiss for many seasons to come.

TRADE: Atlanta trades pick 7, Zach Bogosian, Anthony Stewart, Ben Maxwell, 2012 2nd round pick to Philadelphia for Jeff Carter, Kris Versteeg, Dan Carcillo.

7. Philadelphia (via ATL) - Ryan Strome C

For the second straight year, Rick Dudley pulls off a blockbuster trade prior to the draft, acquiring the goalscorer the team need since the departure of Kovalchuk, as well as a good utility player in Versteeg and toughness in Carcillo.
For Philly, there is no doubt the departure of Carter is going to hurt a little in the short term but it was a necessary evil to free up cap space to get the elite goaltender they have needed for so long. In the long term they get a couple of very good franchise prospects. Bogosian is already capable of playing top 4 D minutes and is need with Timonen ageing and Pronger becoming brittle and also ageing. Ryan Strome had a great season in junior and it won't be too long for him to make the Flyers team and take the center spot left by the departing Carter. As part of the deal, the departure of Versteeg and Carcillo will free up cap space for Ville Leino to re-sign and they also get a couple of young cheap wingers in Anthony Stewart and Ben Maxwell coming off breakthrough NHL season that can immediately help the Flyers on the third and fourth line.

8. Columbus - Ryan Murphy D

Murphy is a perfect choice for Columbus who have needed an offensive defenseman since inception.

9. Boston (via TOR) - Duncan Siemens D

Boston will consider a forward with Mark Recchi likely to retire and Michael Ryder an UFA but with Jordan Caron close to making the NHL and the drafting of Tyler Seguin last year, I think it is a perfect opportunity to get a very good D prospect. Siemens is projected to become a good two way top 4 defenseman.

10. Minnesota - Joel Armia W

Minnesota need scoring help and Armia is a good fit for them. The Wild hope he and last year first round pick Mikael Granlund will form and formable Finnish duo for many years to come.

11. Colorado (via STL) - Sven Bartschi W

Many scouts liken Bartschi game to Milan Hejduk and I think that is a very good reason for the Avs to draft the talented Swiss. Hejduk is due to retire soon and Bartschi will be a ready made replacement.

12. Carolina - Mika Zibanejad C

Carolina seems to like prospects that have risen fast in the rankings in their draft year. They struck gold with Jeff Skinner last season and Zibanejad could be a similar success story this year.

13. Calgary - Mark McNeill C

Calgary have been searching for a quality center prospect for a long time and may of just found one in their own background in drafting the Alberta native.

14. Dallas - Jamie Oleksiak D

After addressing their need for an offensive defenseman by trading for Alex Gogloski, I think Dallas will look to further strengthen the area by drafting a defensive defenseman to play alongside him. Oleksiak certainly fits the bill with his height and potential.

15. New York Rangers - Brandon Saad W

Rangers could use more more prospect depth at wing and Saad has been intriguing prospect over the past few seasons. He already has NHL size so it won't be long until he debuts.

16. Buffalo - Zach Phillips C

Phillips had a very good season in the Q and he would be a welcome addition to Buffalo's prospect system who need more depth at center.

17. Montreal - Nathan Beaulieu D

With Andrei Markov a possible departure, Montreal could look to boost their prospect D depth. Beaulieu is a good local pick which should please the Canadien fans.

18. Chicago - Mark Scheifele C

Chicago has some very good prospect depth at wing and on defense, so I think they will be looking to draft a center. They will consider Khoklhacev as an option but I think they by pass him for Scheifele due to the Russian factor. One of their top Russian prospects in Ivan Vishnevskiy has already bolted back to KHL which is a disappointment.

19. Edmonton (via LA) - Oscar Klefbom D

Klefbom had a very good WJC and Edmonton needs to improve their defensive depth. Klefbom is an impressive shut down defenseman and should fit well with the other Swedes on the team and in the Oiler system.

20. Phoenix - Nicklas Jensen W

Phoenix has impressive defense depth and therefore they will be looking for a scorer. Jensen fits the team needs and could end up on a future line with fellow Danish prospect Mikael Boedker.

21. Florida (via OTT & NSH) - Tyler Biggs W

After acquiring the pick earlier in the draft, Tallon is rapt that is able to draft another talented big forward in Biggs.

22. Anaheim - Rocco Grimaldi C

GM Bob Murray has shown draft tendencies to draft out of the US national team development and size has also not worried Murray after drafting Sami Vatanen in 2009. Rooco Grimaldi is the best US national team player available and despite his 5-6 statue, he is too good of player for Murray to ignore and likely won't last to Anaheim's second pick. Grimaldi is a Californian native too so it seems like a very good fit for both the player and the team.

23. Pittsburgh - Matt Puempel W

Pittsburgh are still on the look out for wing depth and Puempel is the best player available.

24. Detroit - Jonas Brodin D

With Rafalski retiring and Lidstrom close to retiring soon, Red Wings are on the look out for some D. And with the best Swedish scout in the game, logic would suggest that Jonas Brodin would be a very good fit in Detroit.

25. Toronto (via PHI) - Scott Mayfield D

Toronto doesn't have many defenseman in their system that can move the puck and that will need to be addressed, especially after the Kaberle trade. Scott Mayfield projects to be a future puck rushing defenseman and is a good fit for Toronto going forward.

26. Washington - Alexander Khokhlacev C

Deja vu for Captials? After seeing Kuznetsov fall last year and gladly into Washington's hands, it could happen again this year. Khokhlacev is another talented Russian who could turn out to be another late round steal.

27. Tampa Bay - Joe Morrow D

I believe the Lighting will be looking for defense at this pick. Joe Morrow two way ability will appeal to Stevie Y.

28. San Jose - Christopher Gibson G

With Greiss heading overseas, I think San Jose will be on the look out for a goalie in the first two rounds. And with none likely to be picked thus far there is an opportunity for San Jose to select the best goaltending prospect available with this pick. I think that will be Christopher Gibson.

29. Vancouver - David Musil D

Vancouver have a number of defenseman who will become an UFA at the end of the season and I think it will be hard to ignore Vancouver native David Musil, son of former Calgary Flames defenseman Frank Musil.

30. Toronto (via BOS) - Seth Ambroz W

A couple of years ago Ambroz was considered a top 5 pick and even last year he was still talked about as a top 10 selection. Although it seems he hasn't improved over the past two season which has caused his ranking to slide, I feel his size and skill around the net is too good to ignore. Toronto needs to get bigger in the system and Ambroz and recent addition Joe Colborne will help.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
i like the mock drafts that have trades as it shows guts and more importanlty its almost certain to happen.

like last year i see tallon acquiring a n2d first round pick by trading down, he is building the panthers the right way

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I'm a fan of Zibanejad at 12, good pick.

Plus that ATL/PHI trade looks fairly realistic, I could see both teams jumping on that.

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
Hamilton at 5? No thanks!!

Couturier or Murphy please!
seriously?
i know i would pick courtier in that position but if he wasnt available and it was between Murphy and Hamilton, id pick Hamilton all the way

tarlinian

Dec 4, 2008
Pasadena, CA
Sharks have one of the better goalie pipelines in the league with Stalock, Anderson, Sateri, and Heemskerk, ignoring the fact that Niemi was signed to a 4 year extension. There is absolutely no chance they take a goalie in the 1st.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Absolutely awesome draft overall, great writeup and good job picking risers and fallers.

Except for pick 15. I think Saad gets picked in the 20-30 range if he's in the first round.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
i like the mock drafts that have trades as it shows guts and more importanlty its almost certain to happen.

like last year i see tallon acquiring a n2d first round pick by trading down, he is building the panthers the right way

Yeah Michael Grabner and the New York Islanders would like to Thank Tallon for all the right moves!!

hdtrax

Not too bad. I like the trades. But you're way off from a Toronto POV. Firstly, Burke and Co. won't take Mayfield ahead of Morrow IF they take a d-man at all. Blacker and Gardiner are two promising prospects that could fill the PMD role.

Secondly, with Boone Jenner not listed here, I think they'd take a run at him before they did Seth Ambroz (who frankly won't go till middle of round 2 at the earliest). Jenner will be a top 9 center and IMO a perfect third line option in a few years.

I also think Toronto would trade 25+39 to move up a few spots (possibly Ottawa, Phoenix or Edmonton) so they can grab a natural goal scorer - Matt Puempel. The kid has way too much talent for us to let him get snagged by another team. If Puempel goes earlier than I think Burke makes a run at Scheifele or Phillips.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad