Mock draft with some notes

Zeroknowledge*

1 EDM RNH: EDM goes for the potential Patrick Kane/Sakic type of player, might not be ready as of now.
2 COL Larsson: With EJ in the ranks, this gives them a deadly combo.
3 FLA Huberdeau : Just my gut feeling, seems to be the flavor of the month
4 NJ Landeskog: Fits NJ's style of play extremely well, he'll be paired with Parise and Zajac as soon as next year.
5 NYI Murphy: This might be the surprise of the draft, NYI is stacked with young forwards and needs a pmd along side Hamonic, future is starting to look good.
6 OTT Couturier: If this happens, good for Ottawa, the guy is a more offensive Jordan Staal, would be a great pick
7 ATL Strome: Simply go with the BPA and D isn't really a need, they are more in need of a player which can score 30-35 eventually
8 CBS Zibanedaj: He could even go to ATL IMO, too much hype and he actually deserves it, CBS is in need of all positions as of now and go BPA here.
9 BOS Hamilton: Boston gets lucky here, Seguin, Hamilton and Knight for Kessel, where do I sign?
10 MIN Armia: Great fit, will play alongside fellow finns.
11 COL Beaulieu: Along with Larsson, they go for Beaulieu and suddenly possess one of the best young D core in the NHL.
12 CAR Oleksiak: Yes, they are known for passing on D in the first round, but here's a guy that might land in the top 10 IMO and the Offensive talent after Armia falls off a bit, he has huge potential and upside although a risky pick
13 CAL Siemens : great fit, they need big physical D here, can learn well from a vet like Regehr
14 DAL Scheifele: Big center with size, that plays a 2 way game, great fit for the Stars.
15 NYR Biggs: They have lots of young talented up and comers but none with such size, I wouldn't be surprised if he falls off though
16 BUF McNeill: Doubt Buffalo passes on Mcneill who would have been a great pick for the HAbs
17 MTL Jenner: Habs select the safe 2 way player, the kind of player they've been drafting for the past 7-8 years now.
18 CHI Bartschi: BPA here, not a believer in Bartsch's but he won't get past 20
19 EDM Brodin: EDM picks a stud D that could go earlier if someone is in love, a great two way D, won't be a star but will log 22-25 min a game at some point.
20 PHO Jensen: Boom or bust IMO could get drafted as far as 15 I'd say but I see him going to Phoenix
21 OTT Saad : They go for need and BPA here, a big player that can be top 6, needs to use his size, they'll need to be patient
22 ANA Morrow: A safe pick here, potential top 4, nothing fancy though
23 TB Mayfield: They are stacked on O and need some young D,many compare him to Seimens and he's a tiny bit bigger, riskier pick but the upside is there, could perhaps be BPA here on some team's radars
24 TOR Phillips: Played on a stacked team, yes but he definitely has first round talent, Toronto takes him here
25 DET Gibson: Might be a reach but they are in need of a goalie for now and for the future more than anything else
26 SJ Rattie: Risky type of pick IMO, but at this point might be a good gamble
27 PIT Puempel: A wild card, might go top 15, but my gut feeling has him being a late 1st, Pitt won't pass on such a talented scorer
28 TOR Grimaldi: Toronto goes for the Spark plug and hopes the gamble pays off due to lack of size, but can potentially be a 60-70 point player, reminds of of Briere pre-draft.
29 WAS Khokhlachev: Washington keeps on stacking Russian players to keep their core happy and hoping to motivate Kuznetsov into coming over.
30 VAN Musil: They wanted Tinordi last year, they go for Musil this year which is a comparable player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
17 MTL Jenner: Habs select the safe 2 way player, the kind of player they've been drafting for the past 7-8 years now.

LOL... Andrei Kostitsyn, Jaroslav Halak, Mark Streit, Carey Price, Alexei Yemelin, Mikhail Grabovski, Juraj Mikus, Sergei Kostitsyn, David Fischer, Pavel Valentenko, Mathieu Carle, P.K. Subban, Yannick Weber, Jason Missiaen, Maxim Trunev, Alexander Avtsin, Steve Quailer, Petteri Simila, Brendan Gallagher... aren't "safe 2 way player". And the Habs will take Nicklas Jensen over Boone Jenner.

Voga

Jun 1, 2010
LOL... Andrei Kostitsyn, Jaroslav Halak, Mark Streit, Carey Price, Alexei Yemelin, Mikhail Grabovski, Juraj Mikus, Sergei Kostitsyn, David Fischer, Pavel Valentenko, Mathieu Carle, P.K. Subban, Yannick Weber, Jason Missiaen, Maxim Trunev, Alexander Avtsin, Steve Quailer, Petteri Simila, Brendan Gallagher... aren't "safe 2 way player". And the Habs will take Nicklas Jensen over Boone Jenner.

"WILL" hahaha statements like this need to just be deleted on these boards. Say IMO they will probably........

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
5 NYI Murphy: This might be the surprise of the draft, NYI is stacked with young forwards and needs a pmd along side Hamonic, future is starting to look good.

Like Say Calvin DeHaan, Andrew MacDonald or Mark Streit? I know others dont agree with me but I dont see the Islanders taking a blueliner with their first pick unless Larsson is available and I doubt he will be there at 5 for them.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I like Oleksiak. I really think we need to draft a defenseman this year in round 1.

Really? Two years in a row. Oleksiak and Tinordi are somewhat similar. I think one of them is enough. I would like to see us get Saad, or Puempel or even Phillips.
Are defense is good, Subban Tinordi Gorges and Weber. All young guys. We need big forwards.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Really? Two years in a row. Oleksiak and Tinordi are somewhat similar. I think one of them is enough. I would like to see us get Saad, or Puempel or even Phillips.
Are defense is good, Subban Tinordi Gorges and Weber. All young guys. We need big forwards.

Not a Habs fan, just on the bandwagon. :)

Sorry, should have clarified. I'm a Canes' fan.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
1 EDM RNH: EDM goes for the potential Patrick Kane/Sakic type of player, might not be ready as of now.
4 NJ Landeskog: Fits NJ's style of play extremely well, he'll be paired with Parise and Zajac as soon as next year.
6 OTT Couturier: If this happens, good for Ottawa, the guy is a more offensive Jordan Staal, would be a great pick
7 ATL Strome: Simply go with the BPA and D isn't really a need, they are more in need of a player which can score 30-35 eventually
8 CBS Zibanedaj: He could even go to ATL IMO, too much hype and he actually deserves it, CBS is in need of all positions as of now and go BPA here.
9 BOS Hamilton: Boston gets lucky here, Seguin, Hamilton and Knight for Kessel, where do I sign?
11 COL Beaulieu: Along with Larsson, they go for Beaulieu and suddenly possess one of the best young D core in the NHL.
12 CAR Oleksiak: Yes, they are known for passing on D in the first round, but here's a guy that might land in the top 10 IMO and the Offensive talent after Armia falls off a bit, he has huge potential and upside although a risky pick
13 CAL Siemens : great fit, they need big physical D here, can learn well from a vet like Regehr
14 DAL Scheifele: Big center with size, that plays a 2 way game, great fit for the Stars.
15 NYR Biggs: They have lots of young talented up and comers but none with such size, I wouldn't be surprised if he falls off though
16 BUF McNeill: Doubt Buffalo passes on Mcneill who would have been a great pick for the HAbs
19 EDM Brodin: EDM picks a stud D that could go earlier if someone is in love, a great two way D, won't be a star but will log 22-25 min a game at some point.
20 PHO Jensen: Boom or bust IMO could get drafted as far as 15 I'd say but I see him going to Phoenix
21 OTT Saad : They go for need and BPA here, a big player that can be top 6, needs to use his size, they'll need to be patient
23 TB Mayfield: They are stacked on O and need some young D,many compare him to Seimens and he's a tiny bit bigger, riskier pick but the upside is there, could perhaps be BPA here on some team's radars
24 TOR Phillips: Played on a stacked team, yes but he definitely has first round talent, Toronto takes him here
25 DET Gibson: Might be a reach but they are in need of a goalie for now and for the future more than anything else
27 PIT Puempel: A wild card, might go top 15, but my gut feeling has him being a late 1st, Pitt won't pass on such a talented scorer
28 TOR Grimaldi: Toronto goes for the Spark plug and hopes the gamble pays off due to lack of size, but can potentially be a 60-70 point player, reminds of of Briere pre-draft.
29 WAS Khokhlachev: Washington keeps on stacking Russian players to keep their core happy and hoping to motivate Kuznetsov into coming over.
30 VAN Musil: They wanted Tinordi last year, they go for Musil this year which is a comparable player.

Nice effort, some interesting picks, for sure. Looks like you're taking the Craig Button approach by mixing things up.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
"WILL" hahaha statements like this need to just be deleted on these boards.

No, no, they're my favorite kind. It's fun to keep links to them leading up to the draft to see if anyone actually knows what they're talking about.

They usually don't.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
No, no, they're my favorite kind. It's fun to keep links to them leading up to the draft to see if anyone actually knows what they're talking about.

They usually don't.

So you actually follow every draft pick of Trevor Timmins.
I am a Habs fan and I think, I can say player A > player B (for the Canadiens).
And you ? :cry:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
So you actually follow every draft pick of Trevor Timmins.
I am a Habs fan and I think, I can say player A > player B (for the Canadiens).
And you ? :cry:
No idea what you're talking about.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think NYI passes on Couturier for Murphy. If anything, Islanders would take Hamilton because there's a distinct lack of big defensemen in the system.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
With the lack of depth in the AVs FW prospect pool, I don't see them taking 2 defenders. They NEED wingers especially.

Isles_Guy*

zero knowledge is right, seems like he gave the isles Murphy so he could send a better player elsewhere, There is absolutely zero chance the Isles pass on Couturier or Strome or Hamilton to take Murphy.

all this shows is zero knowledge of the Isles

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia

Dont see the Wings going after a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad