NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: Fifth Overall Pick

Who Should the Ottawa Senators Select 5th Overall?

• Jack Quinn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anton Lundell

• Dawson Mercer

• Brandson Schneider

• Seth Jarvis

• Other (please specify in the comments section)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With the fourth pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, the Detroit Red Wings select Cole Perfetti with Saginaw of the OHL.

The draft thus far:

1. The New York Rangers select Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski

2. The LA Kings select Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury

3. The Ottawa Senators select Tim Stutzle, LW, Adler Manheim

4. The Detroit Red Wings select Cole Perfetti, LW, Saginaw

The Ottawa Senators are on the clock:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So this one was a challenge for me.

By ranking, Holtz is my highest player at 4, followed by Rossi at 5 and Raymond at 6.

However, something tells me Ottawa doesn't go for another wing after taking Stutzle (who might be a center, but whom most people I talk to think is more likely to stick at wing). So that left Rossi and Drysdale as candidates. I pretty much tossed a coin and went with Drysdale.

Right now, I have it as Drysdale to Ottawa, Raymond to Anaheim, Rossi to NJ and Holtz to Buffalo. Though I can make a very good case for swapping the selections for NJ and Buffalo.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Raymond reminds me a lot of Mittelstadt in terms of the hype and him potentially dropping to the lower half of the top-10

I can only speak to conversations I've had, but I'm pretty sure everyone has in the top 10. However, it feels like he's a guy who could easily be fifth on a number of lists, with a plethora of different opinions as to who the fourth guy is. As a result, he could slide because a number of teams consistently have that one player ranked ahead of him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I can only speak to conversations I've had, but I'm pretty sure everyone has in the top 10. However, it feels like he's a guy who could easily be fifth on a number of lists, with a plethora of different opinions as to who the fourth guy is. As a result, he could slide because a number of teams consistently have that one player ranked ahead of him.

From the talks I had at the u20 Four Nations in Helsinki last November, there are some question marks surrounding Raymond that could see him drop despite being, in my opinion, the most talented player in the draft after Lafreniere.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
From the talks I had at the u20 Four Nations in Helsinki last November, there are some question marks surrounding Raymond that could see him drop despite being, in my opinion, the most talented player in the draft after Lafreniere.

And those concerns have been echoed on my side of the world. Though I will admit they seemed to lessen as the season went on. I don't want to say they went away, but I do think Raymond helped his cause by how he came back/came along as the season progressed.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At least Raymond isn't playing mostly high school hockey

It's going to be interesting for me to see if Raymond is the prospect in this year's draft that fans are a little more comfortable with than scouts.

Because right now, I can sense a difference in how those two groups view Raymond. A lot more fans are confident in the talent enabling Raymond to emerge as top talent than scouts seems to be. The latter definitely believes the talent is there, but the caution is greater.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
And those concerns have been echoed on my side of the world. Though I will admit they seemed to lessen as the season went on. I don't want to say they went away, but I do think Raymond helped his cause by how he came back/came along as the season progressed.

I should have added: NHL scouts said those things. So it's entirely possible we're talking about the same people here

Reactions: Edge

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It's going to be interesting for me to see if Raymond is the prospect in this year's draft that fans are a little more comfortable with than scouts.

Because right now, I can sense a difference in how those two groups view Raymond. A lot more fans are confident in the talent enabling Raymond to emerge as top talent than scouts seems to be. The latter definitely believes the talent is there, but the caution is greater.
Yeah, I think Raymond is more of this year's Zadina in that sense

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Went with Drysdale too. That said I could see a case for Rossi and Raymond as well. Part of it comes down to Ottawa having a lot of picks in the first couple rounds and there not being all that many really good defensemen in this draft. I think Ottawa decides to make sure they get one before it's too late when they pick again with the Isles pick that will be between 28 and 31 and so they go for Drysdale over Sanderson. They can always stuff their draft with forwards after this pick.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
They should go for the guy playing in their city already but they dont like drafting shorter players so they probably wont

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
They should go for the guy playing in their city already but they dont like drafting shorter players so they probably wont

FWIW I hesitated over Rossi playing for the 67's too and the idea that Raymond could be their new Alfie. They have 7 picks in the first two rounds and they're probably mostly going to be forwards. I think this pick might be different if the Islanders hadn't made the conference final and they were picking around 20--they'd still have a decent shot at a Guhle or Schneider. That's not going to happen now--those guys will be gone and they might not even get a Wallinder, Grans or O'Rourke depending on how far the Islanders go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad