NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: 9th Overall Pick

Who Should the Minnesota Wild Select 9th Overall?

• Dawson Mercer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Connor Zary

• Kaiden Guhle

• Noel Gunler

• Rodion Amirov

• Dylan Holloway

• Hendrix Lapierre

• Other (please specify in the comments section)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With the 8th pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, the Buffalo Sabres select Marco Rossi with Ottawa of the OHL.

The draft thus far:

1. The New York Rangers select Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski

2. The LA Kings select Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury

3. The Ottawa Senators select Tim Stutzle, LW, Adler Manheim

4. The Detroit Red Wings select Cole Perfetti, LW, Saginaw

5. The Ottawa Senators select Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie

6. The Anaheim Ducks select Lucas Raymond, RW, Frölunda

7. The New Jersey Devils select Alexander Holtz, Djurgårdens

8. The Buffalo Sabres select Marco Rossi, Ottawa

The Minnesota Wild are on the clock...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think it comes down to Sanderson and Lundell here.

The word is they prefer a center. I think Lundell is their guy.

We're also entering the phase of the draft where I can make a case for several guys.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This is like a 50/50 to me between Sanderson and Lundell. Lundell is currently leading 6-4. I'm going with consensus and making it 7-4.

Winnipeg will be very happy with Sanderson.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know Minnesota needs a center but with Rossi and Perfetti off the board, I think Sanderson is too tempting to pass up. Lundell is a nice player but doesn't really move the needle for me.

It's tough for me, and I think the next pick will be tough as well for Winnipeg.

They're going to have Sanderson on the board, and there is going to be a big temptation to go with Jarvis there.

I think Sanderson comes off with the next pick though, because his talent is too much to pass up on. From there, I think we see the draft shift for a few picks.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One of the things with Lundell is he's going to be playing his 3rd full season in Liiga this year and he's got a letter on his jersey which is pretty amazing for an 18 year old. That said I think Sanderson has a better chance to become a legit first pairing defenseman than Lundell to become a legit 1C.

Reactions: charliemurphy

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Missed the last few of these, and came back to see Sanderson was still on the board.

Centreman need aside, Minnesota's highly-esteemed head scout breaks an ankle as he sprints to the podium to call out Sanderson's name.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I think they surprise us and take askarov and trade one of the D for center help.
I considered voting Askarov. Pronman had Minnesota taking him in his mock about a month ago. I know the consensus about taking a G high in the draft have widely shifted and the days of Fleury/DiPietro /Montoya are likely over, but we did see Knight go 13th. Askarov is more highly regarded than Knight was last year. If not, I could see Edmonton taking him at 14.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Brackett may be the actual best head scout in the business. They are not going to take Askarov at 9.
You’re probably right. I was just thinking new GM with a weak goalie pool. They also seem to do well picking outside the 1st and can trade a D for a C.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
You’re probably right. I was just thinking new GM with a weak goalie pool. They also seem to do well picking outside the 1st and can trade a D for a C.

Yeah, I hear that, and I do think most of the pieces of the puzzle would point towards Askarov being in serious consideration.

Brackett was adamant about having as much control as possible when he was looking for a new team though, and I suspect Guerin is going to give him near-complete autonomy for at least one draft. And perhaps I'm off about him not wanting to risk a goalie pick that high, but Man, it's difficult for me to see happening when he has Sanderson and Lundell staring at him from their virtual seats.

Askarov is obviously a different beast, but in Brackett's five years as head scout with Vancouver, they never drafted a goalie for two years and then took one in the 3rd round, 7th round, and 6th round in consecutive years. I'm banking on him having a similar view to many HF posters that the goalie position doesn't justify those high first or second round picks.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I’m definitely on board with the Wild drafting Sanderson. It will increase the chance they trade us Brodin.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
I’ll admit that Sanderson is intriguing, but based on the needs of the Wild organization i’ll be surprised if Brackett and Guerin pick him over Lundell.

AHL Goalie Of The Year Kaapo Kähkönen, Mat Robson and Hunter Jones says hello.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
They will take Schneider. With the young forwards in the West that will all be in their prime in 5 years, the Wild will have no chance to compete unless they build a talented, mean, physical defense over the next 5 years. They have nothing d wise in the farm other than one prospect. They have to build that defense. They might trade back a couple spots to take him.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I’ll admit that Sanderson is intriguing, but based on the needs of the Wild organization i’ll be surprised if Brackett and Guerin pick him over Lundell.

AHL Goalie Of The Year Kaapo Kähkönen, Mat Robson and Hunter Jones says hello.

I agree you probably go c or d, but I wouldn’t call that a deep goalie pool. Kappo had a great year but do the other two project to be anything more than low end starters or back ups? Askarov would be #1 in that group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad