NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: 7th Overall Pick

Who Should the NJ Devils Select 7th Overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With the 6th pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, the Anaheim Ducks select Lucas Raymond with Frölunda of the SHL.

The draft thus far:

1. The New York Rangers select Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski

2. The LA Kings select Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury

3. The Ottawa Senators select Tim Stutzle, LW, Adler Manheim

4. The Detroit Red Wings select Cole Perfetti, LW, Saginaw

5. The Ottawa Senators select Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie

6. The Anaheim Ducks select Lucas Raymond, RW, Frölunda

The New Jersey Devils are on the clock...

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
Has to be Holtz right. I like Rossi better but Holtz is a more natural goal scorer and that’s what they need.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There are some good arguments for different people here.

But I think they go with Holtz and get a hell of a prospect for the wings.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Idk how I got here but if we take Askarov at 7, I will go play in traffic. If Sanderson is still on the board we probably take him and I know our scouts have seen a ton of Rossi so it’s between those 2 for this devils fan. Holtz would be a disappointment if Sanderson and Rossi are both available.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Idk how I got here but if we take Askarov at 7, I will go play in traffic. If Sanderson is still on the board we probably take him and I know our scouts have seen a ton of Rossi so it’s between those 2 for this devils fan. Holtz would be a disappointment if Sanderson and Rossi are both available.

Yeah, I doubt Askarov will go this high. As good as he might project to be, there are other more suitable players to pick from at this point to go with a goalie.

That said, Holtz is a natural goal scorer, it wouldn't be a disappointing pick for you guys at all.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I've had Holtz to New Jersey forever. I can see an argument for Askarov or Sanderson but Blackwood is a pretty good young goaltender. I think if the Devils are going to get the best out of Hughes they're going to need to get him a goal scorer.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've had Holtz to New Jersey forever. I can see an argument for Askarov but Blackwood is a pretty good young goaltender. I think if the Devils are going to get the best out of Hughes they're going to need to get him a goal scorer.

I think people might be surprised at how many lists have Holtz fourth.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think people might be surprised at how many lists have Holtz fourth.

I like Holtz better than Raymond to be honest. That's not to say Raymond won't be taken before him but I can't see Holtz dropping past 8 but I could see that happen to Raymond.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Looking forward to voting best player available Seth Jarvis for the next 5-8 picks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One of things I hope this mock draft demonstrates is how a player can slide, even if they are universally ranked high on many lists.

Let’s use Rossi as our example. He’s a legit consideration for the fourth or fifth overall pick. And yet it is quite likely he is still available when the 8th pick comes up.

Jake Sanderson was a consideration for a higher pick who could very well find himself outside of the top 10.

Askarov enters the conversation right about now, but could still be there on the board as the teens roll around. You take any of these and slide them up in the draft, and it’s impact cascades through the next half dozen picks potentially.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Personally, so do I.

And I highly suspect the Rangers did as well.

Holtz is just a more appealing prospect. If you want to go pure upside and talent, you go with Raymond. If you want the guy who fits your team like a glove, you pick Holtz.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Went with Holtz here. I really like him. I think he is going to fit wherever he lands.

Some really good names on the board but the one player I actually had a hard time with wasen't Rossi or Sanderson. It was Quinn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad