NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: 13th Overall Pick

Who Should The Carolina Hurricanes Select 13th Overall?

• Rodian Amirov

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jacob Perrault

• Braden Schneider

• Kaiden Guhle

• Noel Gunler

• Dylan Holloway

• Jan Mysak

• J.J. Peterka

• Other (please specify in comments)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With the 12th pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, the Florida Panthers select Jack Quinn with Ottawa of the OHL.

The draft thus far:

1. The New York Rangers select Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski
2. The LA Kings select Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury
3. The Ottawa Senators select Tim Stutzle, LW, Adler Manheim
4. The Detroit Red Wings select Cole Perfetti, LW, Saginaw
5. The Ottawa Senators select Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie
6. The Anaheim Ducks select Lucas Raymond, RW, Frölunda
7. The New Jersey Devils select Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens
8. The Buffalo Sabres select Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa
9. The Minnesota Wild select Anton Lundell, C, HIFK
10. The Winnipeg Jets select Jake Sanderson, D, USA NTDP
11. The Nashville Predators select Seth Jarvis, RW, Portland
12. The Florida Panthers select Jack Quinn, RW, Ottawa

The Carolina Hurricanes are on the clock...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I really think Askarov is off the board at this point (to either Nashville) so this is an awkward pick for me.

Carolina is very high on the guy they took last year. So while we've made Askarov the best player on the board right now, I just don't know if he ends up in Carolina in real life (either by a team trading up and picking him, or coming off the board earlier).

But based on the parameters of this mock, I think it has to be Askarov here.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I really think Askarov is off the board at this point (to either Nashville or Florida) so this is an awkward pick for me.

Carolina is very high on the guy they took last year. So while we've made Askarov the best player on the board right now, I just don't know if he ends up in Carolina in real life (either by a team trading up and picking him, or coming off the board earlier).

I totally get what you're saying, but by the same token, this is why we do the group mock (as I actually think you pointed out in an earlier poll) – it best simulates the vagaries of not knowing or being able to control what the other teams do. So, if you're Carolina, you can be sitting there thinking "I can't believe he hasn't been picked yet! Oh well, kinda makes my choice simple..."

Reactions: eco's bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I totally get what you're saying, but by the same token, this is why we do the group mock (as I actually think you pointed out in an earlier poll) – it best simulates the vagaries of not knowing or being able to control what the other teams do. So, if you're Carolina, you can be sitting there thinking "I can't believe he hasn't been picked yet! Oh well, kinda makes my choice simple..."

It cuts both ways.

On the one hand it can simulate the variables very well and show how a guy can slide due to factors beyond his control.

On the other hand, depending on where we place the variable, it can get increasingly further and further away from its source material.

But it is a fun process.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
It cuts both ways.

On the one hand it can simulate the variables very well and show how a guy can slide due to factors beyond his control.

On the other hand, depending on where we place the variable, it can get increasingly further and further away from its source material.

But it is a fun process.
Well, the other side benefit is that I for one will also be paying much closer attention to the other teams' picks in the draft, rooting for the board to do as well as possible. :)

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I really think Askarov is off the board at this point (to either Nashville or Florida)

Nashville I can see making sense, but Florida took Spencer Knight 13th last year. I cannot see them investing another lottery pick on a goalie. Florida will take a skater, and most likely a forward.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I really think Askarov is off the board at this point (to either Nashville or Florida) so this is an awkward pick for me.

Spending back-to-back top-15 picks on goalies while having given out that massive contract to Bob would possibly the most "Flordia thing" to ever happen.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Nashville I can see making sense, but Florida took Spencer Knight 13th last year. I cannot see them investing another lottery pick on a goalie. Florida will take a skater, and most likely a forward.

I think Florida takes Guhle, or trades down to be honest. I don't think they take Askarov. That was a typo on my part.

I think Nashville is a very serious landing spot for Askarov. I kind of feel like Jarvis is a little high on our mock and that's probably what makes some of these other picks feel kind of "off" for me.

Carolina I think prefers a wing and could very well be happy if Askarov is off the board at this point because they wouldn't have to make that decision. They already have a top goalie prospect and all things being equal, I think they'd prefer a forward to fall here (like Jarvis).

So in my own private mental hang-up, it's the Jarvis and Askarov picks that should/could be flipped. But that's not the purpose of these polls.

Reactions: JimmyG89

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Thankfully, we also have a second pick in the first round. As great as it is to be getting Alexis, knowing that makes the draft somehow less fun! Drafting 7 OA or 8 OA leaves a lot more room for analysis and speculation.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thankfully, we also have a second pick in the first round. As great as it is to be getting Alexis, knowing that makes the draft somehow less fun! Drafting 7 OA or 8 OA leaves a lot more room for analysis and speculation.

I firmly believe that until our pick comes up a 22 (assuming we keep it), we've actually had the easiest first rounds in the NHL the last two years.

Hughes-Kakko was at least somewhat close, we didn't have to make a decision there. We took whoever was sitting there at 2.

This year, it's a no-brainer, it's Lafreniere.

There's no debate with either pick.

The 22nd pick is arguably the first prolonged, strategic dicussion we've had as a board in more than 2 years.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Great the Canes probably take Askarov ugh. If they didn't I would be surprised. Hopefully he fades into obscurity and never becomes a big impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad