NFL Draft: Mock Draft Discussion Thread

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Chiefs Draft Summary

1st Round (#28) – Artie Burns, CB, Miami
After seeing Eli Apple go off the board quicker than Chiefs front brass expected, they were left with the selection of Burns or William Jackson III out of University of Houston. The Chiefs elected to go with Burns, who impressed during the combine. At 6’0 193 lb, he has a long build and is considered raw but athletically gifted. A two sport star in college, the Chiefs are betting that he can develop technique from NFL coaching and put the whole package together. Burns ironically has similar makeup to former Chief Sean Smith, who he’ll be asked to replace.

2nd Round (#59) – Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma
The Chiefs badly needed a consistent WR to pair with Jeremy Maclin, and may have found a good one in Sterling Shepard. One of the best route runners in CFB last season, Shepard will help bolster a position that desperately needs help in Kansas City. There’s upside in Shepard in his leadership, blocking ability, route running and quickness. The downside for the Chiefs is that Shepard likely fits into the slot position for KC rather than an outside receiver due to his small size. At the end of the day though, the Chiefs liked pairing a polished dependable young receiver that can make plays down the middle with a QB who doesn’t necessarily like to throw deep.

3rd Round (#91) – Taken Away by NFL for Tampering

4th Round (123) – Connor McGovern, G, Missouri
The Chiefs are ecstatic about this pick and we believe they got a gem in the 4th round. McGovern is monster strong – he squats 690 and tore a muscle trying to bench 515. A lot of the Chiefs scouts tell us they would have taken him in the 3rd round if they still had that pick. McGovern has experience at both the tackle and guard spot, much like the recently departed Donald Stephenson (signed w/ Denver Broncos). Like a lot of college OL, he will make an immediate impact in the run game but may take time to develop pass protection skills. The Chiefs seem to like him at the Guard spot due to his shorter arm size (32 7/8”). Connor is expected to be a run mauler from the get-go, similar to Max Garcia last year, with the potential to pick up the passing game as he progresses throughout his career.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i like the shepard pick for the chiefs. he was in consideration for my 2nd pick before i traded up. really hoped he would fall until my 3rd but i'm still ecstatic about joseph and got mike thomas later in the draft.

4th ovr. Joey Bosa, DE
30th ovr. Sheldon Rankins, DT
67th ovr. Karl Joseph, S
127 ovr. Mike Thomas, WR
comp pick. Kalan Reed, CB

wanted ramsey with the 4th ovr pick but i'm happy with bosa. joseph might even end up being the better safety. overall i like this draft. should be 3 very good starters there and 2 other solid, at least rotational players. homer, but i really think i got steals on joseph and maybe mike thomas.

i wanted to take QB some where but can't get them all. also wanted RB, especially one who can be useful in passing situations. there was and still is one RB i like available but i felt that CB and WR were bigger needs and also liked those prospects more so it wasn't just for needs pick. i guess i'd have taken developmental QB in later rounds and then RB/LB too.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Vikings are done.

1. Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
2. Jaylon Smith, LB, Norte Dame
3. Sean Davis, DB, Maryland
4. Maliek Collins, DT, Nebraska*

*Didn't make this pick because I didn't get a chance to get on this weekend and got auto-picked. The guy I would've taken is still on the board though so I won't mention him yet. I'll update either when he's picked or after the draft.

I was going to take Alex McCallister, DE, Florida instead of Collins.

With the reasoning behind it:
-BPA (imo)
-Robison is probably done after this year and Griffen isn't getting any younger
-Depth since 2014 3rd round pick Scott Crichton hasn't done anything.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i really like chargers, jags, 49ers, bears drafts. lions, bengals, panthers, steelers and texans too of teams that picked later (not the biggest fan of fuller though). pats didn't do bad job with their picks imo.

giants, redskins and eagles had awful drafts :sarcasm:

i think bears had the best draft based on where they drafted.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
i really like chargers, jags, 49ers, bears drafts. lions, bengals, panthers, steelers and texans too of teams that picked later (not the biggest fan of fuller though). pats didn't do bad job with their picks imo.

giants, redskins and eagles had awful drafts :sarcasm:

i think bears had the best draft based on where they drafted.

You misspelled Ravens. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad