LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Ok I'm going to take a crack at this for the first time

1. Edmonton Oilers- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Edmonton takes a center and arguably the best player available

2. Colorado Avalanche- Adam Larsson
Helps Colorado rebuild its blueline after the acquisitions of EJ a potential future pairing of the two stud d-men gives the Northwest fits

3. Florida Panthers- Gabriel Landeskog
Dale Tallon takes the big Swedish winger who can do it all and seems like a sure fire NHLer

4. Ottawa Senators- Sean Couturier
He may have fallen due to immense exposure but Ottawa falls in love with his large frame, 2 way ability and hockey sense.

5. NY Islanders- Dougie Hamilton
Solid defender and a much needed player in the NYI pipeline. NYI doesnt pass up on him

6. New Jersey Devils- Ryan Strome
NJD takes the center with big time potential to ideally be number one and putting Zajac at number two (or vice versa) giving them a two line center punch

7. Atlanta Thrashers- Jonathan Huberdeau
Rick Dudley takes a high potential center to play in his future top 6.

8. Columbus Blue Jackets- Ryan Murphy
Columbus gets some much needed potential PMD in there pipeline. Could be this years Cam Fowler

9. St. Louis Blues- Tyler Biggs
St. Louis stocks its cupboard with a big powerforward prospect. They don't pass on his upside

10. Minnesota Wild- Joel Armia
They don't let him get away...just because he's Finnish:sarcasm:

11. Boston Bruins (via Toronto)- Duncan Siemens
Boston gets a great defensive prospect. Something there pipeline lacks dearly.

12. Carolina Hurricanes- Sven Bartschi
Carolina gets a scoring speedy winger who will look dynamic on Skinner or Staal's wing down the road.

13. Calgary Flames- Mika Zibanejad
Best player available at this point. Could possibly the biggest steal come draft day.

14. New York Rangers- Ty Rattie
A dynamic wing prospect. Sather will have a hard time not taking him.

15. Dallas Stars- Brandon Saad
Another big powerforward prospect. The thought of Jamie Benn and him together should scare some defensemen in the league ;)

16. Buffalo Sabres (sp)- Mark Mcneill
A great pick especially considering Buffalo's need for top end center prospects. Mcneill is a big center who brings it all every game. His skating can use some work though.

17. Montreal Canadiens- Jamieson Oleksiak
Just what the doctor ordered. A goliath at the back end for Montreal will do them wonders in the intimidation department.

18. Chicago Blackhawks- Mark Schiefel
Chicago adds a good center prospect.

19. Anaheim Ducks- Rocco Grimaldi
Too much potential to shy away from due to his size. He helps put some much needed offense into the Ducks pipeline

20. Edmonton Oilers (via Los Angelos)- Jonas Brodin
Going to go with the consensus pick he seems like a player Edmonton does not pass up on here.

21. Phoenix Coyotes- Nathan Beaulieu
Phoenix drafts a sleeper. Possibly one of the better defensemen in this draft class.

22. Ottawa Senators (via Nashville)- Niklas Jensen
Possibly the best Dane ever drafted. Sens fans parade around Ottawa while making out like gangbusters in this draft.

23. Tampa Bay Lightning- Scott Mayfield
Tampa gets a good defender this late in the draft.

24. Toronto Maple Leafs (via Boston)- Matt Puempel
Toronto gets a scoring winger in Matt Puempel. Could be a huge steal after his fall in the rankings due to hip injury.

25. Pittsburgh Penguins- Thomas Jurco
Pittsburgh takes a much needed wing prospect.

26. Detroit Red Wings- Rickard Rakell
We all know how good they are at developing steals.

27. Toronto Maple Leafs (via Philadelphia)- Alexandr Kokhlachev
Toronto takes another skilled European with big time potential.

28. San Jose Sharks- Daniel Catenacci
Another great player in the bottom half of the first round. Could turn into a solid 3rd line center or even a top 6 player.

29. Washington Capitals- Zack Phillips
A high scoring center. Washington would be hard pressed to pass up on his skill at this point.

30. Vancouver Canucks- Colin Jacobs
Vancouver takes a skilled big player at the last pick of the first round.

Honorable mentions who couldn't fit in the first round-
Victor Rask
Dmitrij Jaskin
Joachim Nermark
Myles Bell
Joseph Morrow

Your thoughts? Anything you guys think should be different. I might do a second round considering the number of prospects who could be potential first rounders this year.

Last edited:

Divine Wind

If this is indeed how the draft played out, I would hope Edmonton would take jensen over brodin with la's pick. We can always grab a decent defense prospect at 31 with our 2nd round pick.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
If this is indeed how the draft played out, I would hope Edmonton would take jensen over brodin with la's pick. We can always grab a decent defense prospect at 31 with our 2nd round pick.

You have a good point Jensen gives the Oilers yet another potential top 6 guy but I thought I'd go with what they might need and seeing as Edmonton Management may shy away from Beaulieu because of Tom Gilbert Jonas Brodin seemed to be the right choice but I can see what you're getting at.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
i like the hamilton pick at 5, perfect need for NYI..

Floridas pick will be interesting..

They have Booth would they be tempted to draft a potential toews-like stud centre for booth in courturier, or lead with perhaps the safer pick landeskog...

I also think Dllas may draft a centre, who do you think is the best available at the 14-18 range where the stars will pick?

Having said that, I would be happy with Saad in our system..(hehe sorry bad joke) but in all serious if we add Saad to Glennie, Chiasson and Vincour, Dallas forward/wing prospect pool is on of the best in the league..

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
i like the hamilton pick at 5, perfect need for NYI..

Floridas pick will be interesting..

They have Booth would they be tempted to draft a potential toews-like stud centre for booth in courturier, or lead with perhaps the safer pick landeskog...

I also think Dllas may draft a centre, who do you think is the best available at the 14-18 range where the stars will pick?

Having said that, I would be happy with Saad in our system..(hehe sorry bad joke) but in all serious if we add Saad to Glennie, Chiasson and Vincour, Dallas forward/wing prospect pool is on of the best in the league..

You have a good point with the Dallas wing prospects they could use a defensive prospect but if I'm Dallas I'm hard pressed to take Oleksiak so high, and if Zibanejad slips passed Calgary he isn't getting passed Dallas if they have a pressing need at center prospects. There's too much potential to pass up there, but if he's gone then I think they target Mcneill or Schiefel

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Don't think you can complain from a Leaf fan's perspective if they can get Puempel out of the first round. Don't know too much about Alexandr Kokhlachev, but from the quick check he definitely seems to have skills. Getting a couple good forwards from this first round would be a success.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
great mock draft - Hope Leafs can pick up Puempel and instead of Khoklachev we shud probably take Victor Rask (big swede center) WE NEED to stock centers!

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Tbh Rask might still be there with our second pick Puempel, Khoklachev and Rask would be a great haul in the top 60 for the Leafs

Last edited:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Good draft - the only thing I will mention is that if Nathan Beaulieu is available with Edmonton's 2nd 1st rounder, I think they take him.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to do a round 2 after my exams and I gave Edmonton Brodin over Beaulieu because I was under the impression that they didn't need a small puck mover, Brodin gives them everything in terms of defensive and offensive play but if you guys think somethings need to be corrected just let me know

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to do a round 2 after my exams and I gave Edmonton Brodin over Beaulieu because I was under the impression that they didn't need a small puck mover, Brodin gives them everything in terms of defensive and offensive play but if you guys think somethings need to be corrected just let me know

Beaulieu's 6'3 190, once he fills out a bit he'd be considered above average size even for an NHL defenseman.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Beaulieu's 6'3 190, once he fills out a bit he'd be considered above average size even for an NHL defenseman.

lol my mistake must have confused him for some one else I only gave that pick of Brodin to EDM because of what I had seen on other mocks and it seemed a bit logical but if Beaulieu has more upside then he goes before Brodin

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
This is a good mock. Florida might take Coutrier over Landeskog. I only think that because of recent comments made about Talon loving him. Still that could be a ruse put out there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad