TSN: MLSE's Tanenbaum promises a Stanley Cup

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Depends how the "cleaning" is taking place.

incompetent, easily satisfied, stupid BS -> Out the door
competent, people who strive to be better, intelligent folks -> In the door

Quite frankly, whats happening under shanahan/dubas is actually ballard era...

except fans were frustrated with ballard because he was a cheap bastard and no team results
now fans are frustrated with shanahan/dubas because no cap left and no team results

under both ballard and shanahan/dubas leafs were a league wide JOKE

What has really changed?

No, we are not in the Ballard Era even if you are as unsatisfied as you were in the 70s and 80s with the team. We’re somewhere like the 2000s Vancouver Canucks, Ottawa Senators which is an offensively gifted and unsuccessful playoff team that may or may not figure it out.

My problem with mandated changes like cleaning house is what is your immediate next steps? Are we taking 3 steps forward right away? Are we taking 2 steps backwards and then 3 steps forwards later? What’s the plan after you’ve nuked the organization?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
No, we are not in the Ballard Era even if you are as unsatisfied as you were in the 70s and 80s with the team. We’re somewhere like the 2000s Vancouver Canucks, Ottawa Senators which is an offensively gifted and unsuccessful playoff team that may or may not figure it out.

My problem with mandated changes like cleaning house is what is your immediate next steps? Are we taking 3 steps forward right away? Are we taking 2 steps backwards and then 3 steps forwards later? What’s the plan after you’ve nuked the organization?

you'll notice there is zero plan or suggestions from these type of folks around here.

no names, no concrete ways to get better.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tanenbaum doesn't have that power. He's just the public face of ownership and is allowed to represent the team at BoG meetings. Bell & Rogers make the big decisions.
Ask him yourself .. he will tell you straight to your face he makes all da calls running da teams and he will tell you he brought in both Rogers and Bell as content providers and partners as he did not want to risk all his investment capital in da Leafs/Raps etc as he had 1st opportunity to buy it from Teachers .. sure Rogers and Bell decide if they are gonna sell or not and/or if they want to refinance teams but outside of board budget mtgs they do little else .. Larry has da corner office there and goes between that office and his Kilmer office

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
you'll notice there is zero plan or suggestions from these type of folks around here.

no names, no concrete ways to get better.

Of course. We saw what Richard Peddie and Cliff Fletcher did to the 2009 Leafs when they just wanted to get rid of the supposed Muskoka 5 and reset the franchise to expansion levels of talent. Didn’t accomplish anything other than setback the rebuild by 5 years.

Reactions: Morbo

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
case in point.

another great post.
Thank you. As much as I am so disappointed by the recent Leaf failures, I hope people know that these types of boards should be for entertainment purposes only and no posts should be taken so seriously that they create any animus among the participants. If it ain't fun, don't do it. At least, that's the way I see it.

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Thank you. As much as I am so disappointed by the recent Leaf failures, I hope people know that these types of boards should be for entertainment purposes only and no posts should be taken so seriously that they create any animus among the participants. If it ain't fun, don't do it. At least, that's the way I see it.

Pointing out that your posts contain nothing of value or substance is "animus"? okay. I found it more of a commentary on how far this place has slid in the last decade or so.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Next exit interviews:

Shanahan: I have complete faith in dubas and keefe
dubas: we are very close
keefe: the respect during a sweep was times 10 compared to tampa
dubas fans: dubas is a genius

me: :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I know you’re joking, but, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if @Gary Nylund and the other Dubas fan club crew around here actually say something along these lines at this time next year! 😂🤣😂😂🤣🤣

No No teams goal is "win a round."

f*** that
You missed my point. What I mean is let’s win a round and if they do that then we can talk about a cup during said run.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Of course. We saw what Richard Peddie and Cliff Fletcher did to the 2009 Leafs when they just wanted to get rid of the supposed Muskoka 5 and reset the franchise to expansion levels of talent. Didn’t accomplish anything other than setback the rebuild by 5 years.

Bringing back Cliff Fletcher was a bad thing but they didn’t set back the team. I mean the Jeff Finger signing and trading Steen and Coliacovo for Stempniak were horrible moves but they didn’t set us back. Fletcher was back for 6 months. It was actually JFJ who wanted to do a full rebuild and Peddie and the owners would not support it.

Peddie was a huge part of the problem. Burke came in and set us back hugely. He could have had kessel and still got Hamilton if he just offersheeted instead of overpay for Kessel.

Then let’s not talk about the 2011 NHL Entry Draft debacle. Still get sad thinking about that. What a horrible draft for us. Burke set us back sooo soo badly. But ultimately without his awful time in Toronto we probably don’t end up with all three of Marner, Matthews and Nylander

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I know you’re joking, but, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if @Gary Nylund and the other Dubas fan club crew around here actually say something along these lines at this time next year! 😂🤣😂😂🤣🤣

You missed my point. What I mean is let’s win a round and if they do that then we can talk about a cup during said run.
You really don't have a clue.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bringing back Cliff Fletcher was a bad thing but they didn’t set back the team. I mean the Jeff Finger signing and trading Steen and Coliacovo for Stempniak were horrible moves but they didn’t set us back. Fletcher was back for 6 months. It was actually JFJ who wanted to do a full rebuild and Peddie and the owners would not support it.

Peddie was a huge part of the problem. Burke came in and set us back hugely. He could have had kessel and still got Hamilton if he just offersheeted instead of overpay for Kessel.

Then let’s not talk about the 2011 NHL Entry Draft debacle. Still get sad thinking about that. What a horrible draft for us. Burke set us back sooo soo badly. But ultimately without his awful time in Toronto we probably don’t end up with all three of Marner, Matthews and Nylander

Yes, they absolutely set the team back half a decade. Instead of getting the Muskoka 5 to waive and move on to start the rebuild they basically lost Sundin and Tucker for nothing instead of just letting them play out the string, gave away McCabe and Kubina for scraps for the sake of scraps and held unto Kaberle for an extra few years and traded 2x young first rounders in Steen and Colaiacovo for random Stempniak like you mentioned. Then Burke came in and continued the madness. That’s another rant for another time.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Ask him yourself .. he will tell you straight to your face he makes all da calls running da teams and he will tell you he brought in both Rogers and Bell as content providers and partners as he did not want to risk all his investment capital in da Leafs/Raps etc as he had 1st opportunity to buy it from Teachers .. sure Rogers and Bell decide if they are gonna sell or not and/or if they want to refinance teams but outside of board budget mtgs they do little else .. Larry has da corner office there and goes between that office and his Kilmer office
I did. He told me I'm 100% correct.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Tannenbaum will hire Carol & David Marcus and have them perfect the Genesis Device.
To the Leafs building brain trust:
1654642309163.gif

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Couple steps backwards to then take 4 steps fowards (4 rounds ;))

I hoping to tank a bit to get some ELCs and hope to grab a Makar/Otteinger etc...

Tavares contract is the anchor that limits this team and compounded by the significant overpayments with no term to matthews and marner.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

And now we have the next chapter in the Muskoka series... the Muskoka 3

No need for a cup

Losing over the past 55 years has made this franchise the richest franchise in the entire league

... A formula that all other 31 teams in the league could only dream of

Don't mess with success

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Couple steps backwards to then take 4 steps fowards (4 rounds ;))

I hoping to tank a bit to get some ELCs and hope to grab a Makar/Otteinger etc...

Tavares contract is the anchor that limits this team and compounded by the significant overpayments with no term to matthews and marner.
I don’t necessarily think tanking is in order but the core needs to be re assessed the captain can’t be moved due to the nmc but I think the last of the “old leafs” ie.rielly could be moved before his clause kicks in and that should solve a couple of our issues mainly defence and in net imagine the haul we could get for him he would help put a team over the top and it might actually help our team as well. He shouldn’t be on our pp1 he doesn’t have a slap shot I would much rather the kids get the room to develop in his place and get a rhd like Manson who also plays defence at a good cap it and a legit number 1 goalie

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I don’t necessarily think tanking is in order but the core needs to be re assessed the captain can’t be moved due to the nmc but I think the last of the “old leafs” ie.rielly could be moved before his clause kicks in and that should solve a couple of our issues mainly defence and in net imagine the haul we could get for him he would help put a team over the top and it might actually help our team as well. He shouldn’t be on our pp1 he doesn’t have a slap shot I would much rather the kids get the room to develop in his place and get a rhd like Manson who also plays defence at a good cap it and a legit number 1 goalie
Rielly already has a nmc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad