MLSE Heads on Prime Time Sports

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
All 3 GM's said if they had a night off, and weren't watching their sports, they would be watching football. Leiweke said he'd watch Breaking Bad.

Lieweke stated they are working with the city on the renovation of BMO Field, which would see 10,000 more seats added, and a roof over the seats only. This would see the Argo's move to BMO field whether they become MLSE property or not.

Last edited:

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
I would prefer the Argo's didn't move to BMO. I've seen some of TFC's away games where the home stadium also hosts a football team. The field is a mess and looks ugly as well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
They are talking about the similarities in philosophy between the sports. Leiweke stated that he won't talk about the past regime, but this new regime has an intensity and passion to be very good, (talking about ownership, himself, the GM's and lower management)

Bezbatchenko adds that it starts at the top and it goes all the way down.

Dave Nonis said that the main similarity that they all understand a main philosophy is that there are no shortcuts, and looking at the championship teams from all three sports they made the smart moves and the right moves to get there

Nov 6, 2007
I would prefer the Argo's didn't move to BMO. I've seen some of TFC's away games where the home stadium also hosts a football team. The field is a mess and looks ugly as well.

Leiweke talked about this specifically actually: "You won't see soccer lines during a football game. You won't see football lines during a soccer game."

They're talking about a major renovation at BMO Field.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Masai says that he isn't sure what it is that brings up the talk that athletes don't want to come here. Says he isn't sure why athletes wouldn't want to come here. Says people in Toronto (media and fans) talk about it more then athletes do outside of Toronto. Calls Toronto one of the greatest cities on the planet.

Adds that it is their job to make Toronto that number 1 option again. Says when he was in Denver, other then maybe Miami or LA, he would want to be in Toronto.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nonis: "Never been in a situation where we went to the board and they said no"

I sure wish they stepped in on Clarkson.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leiweke says that he talked to Dave Nonis and Masai Ujiri about the plan with Toronto FC before it was put into place. Talked with them while it was happening as well.

They said it's not about money at all. It's about winning and changing the culture of MLSE completely. Says they took fans for granted. Says it's embarrassing what they did to fans.

Says they hope that fans of Leafs and Raptors pay attention to what is happening with Toronto FC. Says it is about winning now, not about "the bottom line" and says the two best players they could get, they got.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leiweke says that he talked to Dave Nonis and Masai Ujiri about the plan with Toronto FC before it was put into place. Talked with them while it was happening as well.

They said it's not about money at all. It's about winning and changing the culture of MLSE completely. Says they took fans for granted. Says it's embarrassing what they did to fans.

Says they hope that fans of Leafs and Raptors pay attention to what is happening with Toronto FC. Says it is about winning now, not about "the bottom line" and says the two best players they could get, they got.

Lol it's about money but they are sacrificing Maple Leaf Revenues for Soccer haha, Raptors make money as well though.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So full recap;

- Working Hard on renovation to BMO field, says it would see 10,000 seats added and Argo's moving there.
- Added it's not about Argo's becoming MLSE property, said it's what is best for the city and teams in the city.
- The new regime has a philosophy to bring intensity, passion and to be very good. Leiweke pretty much hinted that past regime did not have this (said he would not comment on past regimes)
- Dave Nonis stated that there are no shortcuts, and all 3 GM's and Leiweke realize this.
- Masai said it is their goal to make Toronto the number 1 place for athletes to go to again. He says he isn't sure what it is that has people down on the city, called it one of the best cities in the world.
- Leiweke reiterated that this organization isn't about the money. Says when he talks to owners (most recently about the TFC moves) they were just asking about if it would make us better, and how quickly we would be able to win.
- Dave Nonis said that there was never a time where he wanted to make a move, and ownership said no
- Leiweke also added that they have taken advantage of fans, and he called it embarrassing. Hopes fans of Raptors/Leafs are paying attention to what is happening with TFC.
- Leiweke said they can have championship teams and still make money, and said again, money is not a concern for him or ownership

themightyquinn

Jun 10, 2007
Toronto

Such a backhanded slap from TL to Richard Peddie. Love it!

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
So TL is going to be bringing Stamkos here afterall. Nice!! ;)

I think the Raptors will make big push in the near future for a massive superstar

But why did Nonis line up his ducks for David Clarkson? So frustrating...

TL seems like a great negotiator and if anything, I'm breaking the bank for Stamkos if given an opportunity

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Nonis: "Never been in a situation where we went to the board and they said no"

I sure wish they stepped in on Clarkson.

Belly-aching about Clarkson aside, the board stepping in and influencing hockey decisions is part of the reason the Leafs were the mess they were. By all accounts, JFJ would have gone ahead and started the rebuild but Richard Peddie and the board of directors meddled. Who knows where the Leafs would be now.

HookeyPlayer

Jan 30, 2012
So TL is going to be bringing Stamkos here afterall. Nice!! ;)

or another star...who knows...he's a big fan of MLSE's ambassador

tumblr_lwg2rqDgyA1qlxg2ho1_500.jpg

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
So full recap;

- Working Hard on renovation to BMO field, says it would see 10,000 seats added and Argo's moving there.
- Added it's not about Argo's becoming MLSE property, said it's what is best for the city and teams in the city.
- The new regime has a philosophy to bring intensity, passion and to be very good. Leiweke pretty much hinted that past regime did not have this (said he would not comment on past regimes)
- Dave Nonis stated that there are no shortcuts, and all 3 GM's and Leiweke realize this.
- Masai said it is their goal to make Toronto the number 1 place for athletes to go to again. He says he isn't sure what it is that has people down on the city, called it one of the best cities in the world.
- Leiweke reiterated that this organization isn't about the money. Says when he talks to owners (most recently about the TFC moves) they were just asking about if it would make us better, and how quickly we would be able to win.
- Dave Nonis said that there was never a time where he wanted to make a move, and ownership said no
- Leiweke also added that they have taken advantage of fans, and he called it embarrassing. Hopes fans of Raptors/Leafs are paying attention to what is happening with TFC.
- Leiweke said they can have championship teams and still make money, and said again, money is not a concern for him or ownership

A lot of right answers in that summary. Thanks for that. I'm sorry I missed that. Hopefully Prime Time is repeated later tonight and I can record it.

I find part that I have made bold the most interesting. As long as the majority owners were a pension plan this organization was never going to have that passion and intensity. The very nature of an investment vehicle like a pension plan makes those qualities undesirable. All that matters is the bottom line investment and value of the equity. And no matter how hard the pension plan suits argued "we want to win" at the end of the day that was not the most important factor. It couldn't be.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Don't they wanna make a club or something near the ACC and it has something to do with Drake? :laugh: :laugh:

Do anything you can to get Stamkos here :p. Although it sucks that you rarely see big names hit the F/A nowadays :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad