The Star: MLSE casts covetous eye at former L.A. Kings executive

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...tous_eye_at_former_la_kings_exec_feschuk.html

tim_leiweke.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Tim Leiweke, former chief executive officer of AEG, the parent company of the Los Angeles Kings, poses with the Stanley Cup and Kings players after winning the NHL championship last spring.

It’s been more than 14 months since Richard Peddie departed as CEO of Canada’s biggest sports and entertainment company. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment may finally have a dream replacement in its sights.

“Dream,†understand, is the operative word here. Aiming at Tim Leiweke could easily be spun as wishful thinking. While he’s hardly a household name among sports fans, Leiweke is one of the most accomplished and influential executives in the sports and entertainment industry. He has long been discussed as a candidate to take over the vacant CEO gig of the company that owns the Maple Leafs, Raptors and Toronto FC. But until last week, Leiweke was CEO at AEG, the global behemoth that owns the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings and the Staples Center.

Leiweke’s unexpected departure from AEG has turned him into a coveted free agent. MLSE is sure to be among a host of suitors.

This is not to say he’s been offered the job or even interviewed for it. An Internet report said Leiweke was in Toronto on Tuesday, but two sources said he has not met with members of MLSE’s board of directors.

Still, there is a hope among some Toronto power brokers that Leiweke possesses the leadership skills and vision required to end Toronto’s 45-year 1967 Stanley Cup drought. Leiweke once described himself as “the world’s greatest optimist.†Maybe no less is required to head the only NHL team that hasn’t made the playoffs since 2004.

Leiweke couldn’t come on the job market at a better time. Along with celebrating the Cup with the Kings last June, Leiweke also oversaw the David Beckham-led L.A. Galaxy during its run to the Major League Soccer Cup.

How much credit Leiweke should actually get for either of those victories is a matter of debate. There are whispers in NHL circles that Leiweke is perceived similarly to Peddie — specifically as a fan with no real hockey expertise who took a hands-on approach with the Kings that made long-time hockey men uncomfortable. Still, opinions vary. Leiweke was recently described by Dustin Brown, the Kings captain, as a trusted ally. (“He always had my back,†Brown has said.) The fact is, Leiweke’s clubs have won championships, which is more than any Toronto executive of recent vintage can say.

To that end, it’s seen as a sure thing that MLSE will reach out to Leiweke to gauge his interest. The company approached him around the time of Peddie’s retirement and he rebuffed the advance; whether his feelings have changed is anyone’s guess. Leiweke, 55, did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Don't think this is that great of signing, or one that makes that big of an impact.

If they're looking at the galaxies success, they paid the most money year after year and finally made the finals.

Then if you look at the kings they had just as long of a drought as we did, but their organization had more patience GM and Owners.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The President/CEO of MLSE really has nothing to do with the Stanley Cup.

The Leafs go as far as their GM, coach and players take them.

Heisenberg Blue*

The decisions he made in the framework he was given were incredibly poor. It's that simple.

The framework he was given was a setup for failure.

Tim L. is not a sports executive, he's an entertainment executive first, and that scares me.

However, I don't believe Tim L was able to influence Dean Lombardi. Lombardi wouldn't have continued to work there. Joining a new franchise however, I'm sure he will try and sink his teeth in to a rather submissive Nonis.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The framework he was given was a setup for failure.

Tim L. is not a sports executive, he's an entertainment executive first, and that scares me.

However, I don't believe Tim L was able to influence Dean Lombardi. Lombardi wouldn't have continued to work there. Joining a new franchise however, I'm sure he will try and sink his teeth in to a rather submissive Nonis.

The framework wasn't the problem , JFJ was .

Just because Nonis is quiet doesn't mean he's submissive .

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/grange-on-mlse-leiweke-right-for-the-job/

“I think Tim Leiweke is the No. 1 sports business guy in the United States,†says Peddie, former MLSE president and CEO. “And I say that to mean he’s going to have options.â€

Here’s hoping he accepts an opportunity with Toronto, should it materialize.

What he does with the job is anyone’s guess, but he’s described as an aggressive and innovate executive who pushes growth. In MLSE’s case that could translate into expanding their hugely successful Real Sports restaurant brand nationally. Leiweke also headed the bid to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles and would be well-suited to take up the cause to get Toronto an NFL team — a strategy MLSE has nosed around on for years. There is room for growth in the live event business, Peddie says.

But what Leiweke might ideally represent is an individual within MLSE who would automatically have the clout with ownership while also having the sports savvy to hold the feet of the team executives in charge of the Leafs, Raptors and TFC to the fire. In his career he’s been the general manager of a soccer team, a president of an NBA team and helped run an NHL team.

He would represent the rare executive voice with first-hand knowledge of how winning franchises manage themselves. He was on the Lakers board of directors and front-and-centre with both the Galaxy and the Kings, challenging management and connecting with players. Coincidence or not, the Galaxy are two-time defending MLS champions and the Kings are coming off one of the most dominant playoff runs in modern NHL history as they won the franchise’s first Stanley Cup in style last June.

Kings captain Dustin Brown considers him a friend and a number of Kings and Galaxy players had personal relationships with the man who paid their coaches and general managers.

It’s a risky approach for a sports executive to take — it’s a very fine line between managing and meddling — but done well it creates a level of accountability that has always been missing at MLSE, where ownership has typically lacked the confidence and know-how to push those entrusted to build winning teams or at least the knowledge to present alternative views.

And while it’s fine for ownership to say that Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo or Leafs general manager Dave Nonis have free reign to run their franchises without interference from above, the reality is that a general manager’s primary goal — as Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said recently — is to not get fired.

Someone has to be able to create a longer term vision than how to make the playoffs. Someone has to be able to show ownership the value of a championship and empower those around him to make that the goal.

Landing an executive of Leiweke’s stature would come at a huge price — a salary in the $5-million range with an even more lucrative bonus structure — and represent a significant investment.

He would be charged with plotting a vision for MLSE that would undoubtedly involve growth into a range of business opportunities perhaps not even invented yet.

The hope here is only that a new vision would put winning — the fruit that no MLSE team has been able to bite into for the better part of a decade now — front and centre.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
He isn't afraid to spend money, with LA heavily pursuing Kovalchuk and eventually the Mike Richards and Jeff Carter trades.

MLSE isn't exactly crying poor. It's not money that's the problem, its competence.

parkdale lad

Jun 9, 2006
Who cares?
Just another suit who's hired to rake in the $$$ selling condos and "the brand" and all that B.S.
Executives don't win championships- players do.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
While I don't think a man in that position actually affects very much on the ice, field or court, or that he's a bad choice per se, I find that this kind of MLSE target encapsulates what's wrong with the organization's thinking.

MLSE is just a lazy corporation and they gravitate towards these big name corporate giants, just like when they got Brian Burke, because he was a recent champion. Well, just because he had a lot of success somewhere else, doesn't mean he's going to catch lightning in a bottle here in quick succession. As a general comment, I wish the organization would look for those "nerdy" hockey men like Peter Chiarelli or Bryan Murray than big fish.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
MLSE needs this guy, they are ridiculously successful is generating revenue, but all their teams are poorly run, ironically, this man will have a big impact because his track record clearly shows he knows how to make money, expand the brand, and win at the same time. Leafs fans should be thrilled at this news, I always find it so odd that none of the teams MLSE runs are winners on the field but money makers off it, very rare in sports. Maybe this guy can be that missing link? I know for a fact he would fire Colangelo, and that alone makes me a fan.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
MLSE needs this guy, they are ridiculously successful is generating revenue, but all their teams are poorly run, ironically, this man will have a big impact because his track record clearly shows he knows how to make money, expand the brand, and win at the same time. Leafs fans should be thrilled at this news, I always find it so odd that none of the teams MLSE runs are winners on the field but money makers off it, very rare in sports. Maybe this guy can be that missing link? I know for a fact he would fire Colangelo, and that alone makes me a fan.

its only a matter of time before MLSE hires someone to start there time as owners ,it hasnt been a year yet ,most major corporations take a year to sort out the previous runnings ,but u can bet MLSE has talked to numerous people about how its sports empire is run ,and im not sure nonis will stay past this year either
a new guy will have fresh ideas ,sadly most companies have other people constantly scrutinizing their current staff's performance and im thinkin this new guy will change the culture ,bigtime

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
While I don't think a man in that position actually affects very much on the ice, field or court, or that he's a bad choice per se, I find that this kind of MLSE target encapsulates what's wrong with the organization's thinking.

MLSE is just a lazy corporation and they gravitate towards these big name corporate giants, just like when they got Brian Burke, because he was a recent champion. Well, just because he had a lot of success somewhere else, doesn't mean he's going to catch lightning in a bottle here in quick succession. As a general comment, I wish the organization would look for those "nerdy" hockey men like Peter Chiarelli or Bryan Murray than big fish.

Might you argue that Nonis is not really a big fish? As for nerdy hockey guy, I don't know if thats what he is.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I have to agree...

The decisions he made in the framework he was given were incredibly poor. It's that simple.

Anyone knew the Raycoft deal sucked(see my record).For that alone JFJ must be buried alive forever.The one move showed he was not competent at hockey,end of story,no excuses.Sometimes you only get one chance,dont blow it.

These moves have dire consequences.Just ask Burke.It means you will never,ever be a GM again.Don't give me excuses,this is pro sports not pee wee.The lesson is simple,betray the fans and help rebuild other franchises and you will be fired and forgotten forever.This message cannot be driven home hard enough or too many times.I think it is now clear the leafs have an affinity for hiring the mentally challenged.Let us hope Nonnis has paid attention.

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
MLSE needs to hire an executive that'll stand up to the NHL for the rights of the Toronto Maple Leafs and especially us the TML fans.

The NHL is taking us for granted and completely giving us the shaft with their incompetent anti-Leafs refereeing and blatant anti-Leaf discipline!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Might you argue that Nonis is not really a big fish? As for nerdy hockey guy, I don't know if thats what he is.

I was thinking more of the original Burke hire as more style than substance. Like they just went out and hired a rockstar instead of an honest musician, to use that analogy.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
MLSE needs to hire an executive that'll stand up to the NHL for the rights of the Toronto Maple Leafs and especially us the TML fans.

The NHL is taking us for granted and completely giving us the shaft with their incompetent anti-Leafs refereeing and blatant anti-Leaf discipline!

Seriously. Just looking at the new Conference alignments and the Rick Nash non suspension, you'd think the league was heavily influenced to take care of the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad