Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team II - New York City wins the MLS Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's funny how all the countries I used to like I'm now rooting against and the ones I used to hate are the ones I want to win now. I hated Italy and their whole defensive philosophy and the flopping and whining from like 2006-2014, but I'm rooting for this squad to go all the way.

The sport, and Europe as a whole, has changed a lot in the last two decades

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Happy that Italy won, but I can't help but feel bad for Belgium. I think they're probably the second best team in the tournament and they just happened to run into the best team in the quarterfinals.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Peru goes through on penalties, crazy entertaining game!

They get the winner of Brazil and Chile. aka Brazil.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Revolution on the road at Columbus to open up the Crew's new stadium, and they've grabbed an early 1-0 lead.

Admittedly, I didn't know Columbus had built a new stadium(Crew Stadium, the original SSS, hadn't aged well, that I know), but it looks nice and it's right next to downtown, on the same street as the Blue Jackets' arena and the baseball stadium. Reminds me that the Revolution are probably stuck in Foxborough forever.

Last edited:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
It's funny how all the countries I used to like I'm now rooting against and the ones I used to hate are the ones I want to win now. I hated Italy and their whole defensive philosophy and the flopping and whining from like 2006-2014, but I'm rooting for this squad to go all the way.

The sport, and Europe as a whole, has changed a lot in the last two decades

Not always for the best. I like watching early 2000s clips because the English game was so much more physical and fun to watch.

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Not always for the best. I like watching early 2000s clips because the English game was so much more physical and fun to watch.

Agreed. It's also hard to discuss why things like World Cup and Olympics just aren't the same anymore without going into unwelcome political conversation.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Like when I watch clips from the 80s and 90s from the English top flight, the game was more physically demanding than it is now and players were tough. They didn't go down at the moment someone breathed on them. The game was also so much more creative too. Like look at the old Copa Libertadores or La Liga from that same era. Players weren't as structured and had so much more creative freedom to do amazing moves and stuff.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Like when I watch clips from the 80s and 90s from the English top flight, the game was more physically demanding than it is now and players were tough. They didn't go down at the moment someone breathed on them. The game was also so much more creative too. Like look at the old Copa Libertadores or La Liga from that same era. Players weren't as structured and had so much more creative freedom to do amazing moves and stuff.

Watched the Peru-Brazil semifinal yesterday, Neymar is an absolute embarrassment to the sport. And he's got Paqueta following in his footsteps too. Someone jostles them slightly, they go down holding their knees and screaming like they're dying. In stoppage time Paqueta was on the ground clutching his leg getting attended to by trainer for over 4 minutes after taking a very minor tumble where he landed on his back. it was a joke, but the refs let them get away with it every time.

If this were 1990, someone would stomp Neymar's leg in half. Modern football is all antics.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Both of these teams are likeable and play solid football. I really hope the winner of this takes the final instead of England.

Italy is the better side, but Spain's tapping into their old magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad