MLS going all-digital with 10-year Apple deal

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
They probably got offers from tv companies but Apple's offer was probably significantly larger.
Yup - that's what seems to be the case based on what I read. I guess you have to take the money but this kind of reminds me of the NHL taking comcast money - NHL was established decaded before though. MLS is established-ish but they have done a lot of expansion in the last 10 years - I wonder how many of those teams need good tv revenue just to get close to breaking even.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Does anyone know how much ESPN/ABC pays the PLL? They seem to be a good replacement for MLS on their channels. ESPN could also pay similar for MLS games I am guessing.

The only thing that ever came out was that it was "eight figures." So somewhere between 10-99m, common sense says closer to 10m than 99m so probably somewhere in the 10-30m range.

It's cheap summer-filler content that fits in a nice two-hour window for ABC/ESPN/2 plus puts content that has a consistent audience on espn+.

Reactions: OG6ix

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Amazon apparently was offering the most money for F1 rights and wanted to sub it to other companies. F1 passed on both Amazon and Netflix as they didn't want to go completely streaming. Some may think MLS is ahead of the curve but with many sports properties not wanting to go streaming only it's telling.
True answer will be if Apple gets NFL Sunday Ticket or NBA streaming rights. If that happens then its a game changer and a larger Tsunami, rights to MLS and MLB rights on Wed/Fri/Sat nights are more of a ripple. Will be telling if they can pull one or both of those Big Fish.

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
True answer will be if Apple gets NFL Sunday Ticket or NBA streaming rights. If that happens then its a game changer and a larger Tsunami rights to MLS and MLB rights on Wed/Fri/Sat nights are more of a ripple will be telling if they can pull one or both of those Big Fish.
I can see Amazon getting Sunday ticket or ESPN+. I think apple will try to go after NBA. Neither of those leagues are going to go fully streaming though.

On another note.. Ovechkin to DC United? :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
I can see Amazon getting Sunday ticket or ESPN+. I think apple will try to go after NBA. Neither of those leagues are going to go fully streaming though.

On another note.. Ovechkin to DC United? :naughty:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'm a DC United fan God knows we need the scoring we're battling for the wooden spoon I'm half joking but come on Ovie we could use the scoring lol. Was this a charity game?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I'm a DC United fan God knows we need the scoring we're battling for the wooden spoon I'm half joking but come on Ovie we could use the scoring lol. Was this a charity game?
Apparently he signed a one day contract to play.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Speaking of misleading and apples to oranges. When you say "199k for MLS on ESPN2" when that's not what it got "on ESPN2." It got 146k, you're combining with another network (ESPND) which isn't how advertisers care about when it's different languages and different advertisers. So "on ESPN2" it got 146k on ESPN2. That's the number.
I know Eddy is wearing a certain color glasses, which look too much like the this year’s Timbers secondary kits (Google at your own risk). But it’s the same advertisers and they’re perfectly capable of advertising in different languages. Sometimes they’re even quite capable of putting one language’s ads on the other’s language’s broadcast just to spice things up (or by error, sometimes).

Announcing sounds better in Spanish anyway.

Reactions: DaveG and eddygee

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Rapids (Kroenke sports) owns their RSN so I can't see them signing off on a deal that pulls them, but then again they've been off Comcast for two years.

I know this article is completely unrelated, except for the part where it essentially compares the Pac-12 Network(s) to RSNs. They’re saying that RSNs are in a precarious position. FYI.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
I know Eddy is wearing a certain color glasses, which look too much like the this year’s Timbers secondary kits (Google at your own risk). But it’s the same advertisers and they’re perfectly capable of advertising in different languages. Sometimes they’re even quite capable of putting one language’s ads on the other’s language’s broadcast just to spice things up (or by error, sometimes).

Announcing sounds better in Spanish anyway.
Agreed there is no difference only difference a difference when folks look for a way to minimize a number. If a game in this case is part of a simulcast window the network and advertisers count the viewers across that window. Its simple because its the audience that wanted to watch. The Sports Media people tabulate it the same. You saw this with MNF with the Manning cast it got put out as once number same with the tri cast for March Madness or the Superbowl.

No one here differentiated all those years when we were on NBC and they were using TAD Total Audience Delivered metric to give yearly viewership numbers collecting digital/streaming/TV and later streaming from Peacock. So its asinine rose colored glasses aside to pretend or not want to count the a audience for a leagues Spanish language fans that want to watch. Here's a whole channel set up for them to watch but some people nope it doesn't count. I could see half debate if it was a totally different network family simulcasting like ESPN and TUDN because they aren't affiliated and ESPN advertisers aren't going to care what Univision did. But we're talking ESPN and ESPN Deportes the sister spanish-language ESPN lol.

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Anyone have the LAFC-FCD FS1 rating from Wednesday night?
It didn't rate just like some regular season NHL games a handful each year routinely didn't in the past on NBCSN and recently even one or two on Turner. Not the brightest idea by FS1 scheduling a late west coast game when there was 2 other west coast games going on simultaneously. Seattle and Portland were both facing teams. BTW first time that type of scheduling has happened this season and non-coincidentally first time a FS1 game hasn't rated as a result of said scheduling. It happens.

Haha thought ya had something there huh? Instead of admitting to being wrong about your earlier post I pointed out and PCS confirmed, you move your little MLS hating to something else as if NHL never had games not rate. You can't be a hypocrite. All leagues that aren't the NBA/NFL with long regular seasons over months will have a embarrassingly low game. The fact you tryna throw shade at MLS like that same doesn't happen hasn't had to NHL during the regular season is rich. Before you try to throw shade research some data, also don't attempt to deflect and change the subject to playoff numbers. No one here is disputing that NHL has 2-3x the playoff numbers that MLS has. This is about your attempts in this thread to shade MLS, and your most recent attempt to do it over something that happens to NHL too during the regular season. That's called hypocrisy.

I know you don't like MLS ok that's good for you but others do you can choose to be a fan of NHL and a fan of other leagues too you know. If its not for you ok that's fine move along.

Last edited:

Reaser

May 19, 2021
It didn't rate just like some regular season NHL games a handful each year routinely didn't in the past on NBCSN and recently even one or two on Turner. Not the brightest idea by FS1 scheduling a late west coast game when there was 2 other west coast games going on simultaneously. Seattle and Portland were both facing teams. BTW first time that type of scheduling has happened this season and non-coincidentally first time a FS1 game hasn't rated as a result of said scheduling. It happens.

Haha thought ya had something there huh? Instead of admitting to being wrong about your earlier post I pointed out and PCS confirmed, you move your little MLS hating to something else as if NHL never had games not rate. You can't be a hypocrite. All leagues that aren't the NBA/NFL with long regular seasons over months will have a embarrassingly low game. The fact you tryna throw shade at MLS like that same doesn't happen hasn't had to NHL during the regular season is rich. Before you try to throw shade research some data, also don't attempt to deflect and change the subject to playoff numbers. No one here is disputing that NHL has 2-3x the playoff numbers that MLS has. This is about your attempts in this thread to shade MLS, and your most recent attempt to do it over something that happens to NHL too during the regular season. That's called hypocrisy.

I know you don't like MLS ok that's good for you but others do you can choose to be a fan of NHL and a fan of other leagues too you know. If its not for you ok that's fine move along.

Was a simple question. An "it didn't rate" would have sufficed.

The rest of that nonsense. We've already established I've been a MLS fan longer than you. It's your goto response "you're not a MLS fan" when someone doesn't agree with you.

Keep lying and saying things like "199k for MLS on ESPN2" when it didn't get 199k on ESPN2 and then moving goalposts and combining ratings after you get called on lying. You say things thinking other people can't see showbuzz daily. Like trying to slip in a rating that was listed for 2 minutes. You also have severe reading comprehension issues, hence why when I said what advertisers care about, in general, a general statement, and you go off about what ESPN cares about and put "lol" a bunch as if that means anything.

We get it, you like lying and spinning all things MLS. You're a compulsive liar and a clown. Already asked that you don't respond to me since your M.O. is to go on and on for pages with people arguing in your typical style, not reading what they say, conjuring up something they didn't say, saying other people said it on twitter and then responding to what you make up. Got issues, you should get them checked out. Keep your crazy to yourself and stop spamming with falsified ratings, lies and spin.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Keep lying and saying things like "199k for MLS on ESPN2" when it didn't get 199k on ESPN2 and then moving goalposts and combining ratings after you get called on lying. You say things thinking other people can't see showbuzz daily. Like trying to slip in a rating that was listed for 2 minutes. You also have severe reading comprehension issues, hence why when I said what advertisers care about, in general, a general statement, and you go off about what ESPN cares about and put "lol" a bunch as if that means anything.

We get it, you like lying and spinning all things MLS. You're a compulsive liar and a clown. Already asked that you don't respond to me since your M.O. is to go on and on for pages with people arguing in your typical style, not reading what they say, conjuring up something they didn't say, saying other people said it on twitter and then responding to what you make up. Got issues, you should get them checked out. Keep your crazy to yourself and stop spamming with falsified ratings, lies and spin.
Just seeing your NON-SENSE reply.. OHHHH Spare me the BS you knew the answer lol. Sure pal that bolded part is all you wanted to get at in the first place. You knew damn well what the game rated you think people are dumb don't ya. We been over this You still talking about that game me and PCS corrected you on. You are self projecting ia bit. It's your blind MLS hatred I get it. Again the game you keep talking about was carried in a Simulcast window. Explaining slowly do----- you-------- know------ what that means...... Obviously you don't. Not gonna go back in forth but BOTTOM LINE your little opinion doesn't matter because its a matter of fact and not up for debate. You can try to act like you're right or whatever by claiming some bs that I'm moving goal post to obfuscate the issue of you being wrong on that topic. Say ALL ya want I really don't care.

Back to you playing dumb about what the game pulled I'll just say this...You're perfectly capable of finding the ratings and posting ratings in the NHL regular season TV thread now you magically don't know or know what a game didn't or did pull. I mean you trying to argue with me about the total audience a MLS game pulled on ESPN networks trying to single out one network because they broadcast a soccer match in spanish.... lol give me a break. Lol at all your blathering non sense. You always have something negative to shit talk about MLS. I know it bothers you. Tough cookies I will post whatever I like no matter what you want to say about or call it luckily this is America everyone is entitled to a opinion just like your bolded one, no matter how full of shat it is.

Last edited:

Reaser

May 19, 2021

Noting that the Friday night ESPN games were back-to-back.

The Union - DCU match was over quick. Rooney has his work cut out for him.

Ratings wise, thought El Trafico would do better numbers considering the Bale hype -he got paraded around all night- and that there wasn't much competition.

Thought my Sounders (first watched them pre-MLS in Seattle Memorial Stadium, a HS field under the Space Needle that I played at once in a HSFB state playoff game) v. the Timbers had a chance to do the best # of the season considering OTA and again, light competition. I'd call both slightly disappointing numbers, considering the context. Side note, know a lot of people don't like them (Timbers unis), but I thought the Sounders-Timbers kit matchup clashed beautifully. The match result, not beautiful.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Union - DCU match was over quick. Rooney has his work cut out for him.

Ratings wise, thought El Trafico would do better numbers considering the Bale hype -he got paraded around all night- and that there wasn't much competition.

Thought my Sounders (first watched them pre-MLS in Seattle Memorial Stadium, a HS field under the Space Needle that I played at once in a HSFB state playoff game) v. the Timbers had a chance to do the best # of the season considering OTA and again, light competition. I'd call both slightly disappointing numbers, considering the context. Side note, know a lot of people don't like them (Timbers unis), but I thought the Sounders-Timbers kit matchup clashed beautifully. The match result, not beautiful.
Ah, another from the fishing village to the north.

I could argue that this number improves once abuser-protector Merritt Paulson sells the Timbers, and I will also note that there’s something else to the numbers… that perhaps MLS and USL would be more wise to think like baseball has. That it will never be a national audience, that we’re more likely to follow the local team than the national broadcast. Also, eventually, the other sports will “fall to this mean.”

Timbers haven’t lost in Seattle since 2018, and even that game was the second leg of the playoff series that Portland won on PKs. Heck of a game, BTW.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012

The new Apple deal far outpaces what MLS would lose in these discussions, even after production costs are factored in.

Thing is, as a social media thread pointed out this morning, that number is a minimum guarantee. There could be more.

Add a recent gambling deal. Add the fact that Apple (which is making tons of $$ off data) will now use that data from users in this venture to add value to the product, and there is likely some value to MLS as well.

Which makes this either scary… or scary lucrative. Maybe even both.

Reactions: varsaku and eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018

The new Apple deal far outpaces what MLS would lose in these discussions, even after production costs are factored in.

Thing is, as a social media thread pointed out this morning, that number is a minimum guarantee. There could be more.

Add a recent gambling deal. Add the fact that Apple (which is making tons of $$ off data) will now use that data from users in this venture to add value to the product, and there is likely some value to MLS as well.

Which makes this either scary… or scary lucrative. Maybe even both.
Yup exactly a min of $250m any thing they get from TV is a bonus and is more about maintaining visibility and setting up the ground work for a larger TV pay in 2026 following the 2026 US World Cup to go along with the much larger Apple deal.

ESPN/Fox and presumably Univision were always going to pay less for non exclusive rights because they believe why pay more when we are going to lose majority of the audience we do have to Apple. I suspect though that for a network especially ESPN that they are overestimating the TV viewership decrease due to Apple and a year or two into the deal that will be remedied. Say if the ABC/ESPN network average stays the same or increases from the 320ish k it is now I'd imagine there will be some sort of provision for a increase in fee or some sort of sublicense provision for ESPN to grab more games from Apple to air along with a reworked deal. The shorter 4 yr deal mentioned plays into that thinking of lets do a feeling process to see what numbers look like in this new scenario where we are having to simulcast with Apple lets see what kind of numbers we pull.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
I don't know why the blue checkmarks never make valid comparisons with ratings/viewerships? That WNBA number is across the disney networks only, it is NOT the "2022 WNBA regular season ratings average" as it does not include games televised on other channels (CBS/CBSSN) -- which would lower the average viewers. In theory, since we don't get cbssn numbers but extremely obvious those cbssn games don't get good numbers. Also, why compare it to '21 MLS when '22 MLS is available?

You can make head-to-head, like-for-like comparisons, such as WNBA and MLS have both have had 9 games on ABC in 2022, and in similar (some same) timeslots. The WNBA averaged 622k for their 9 games and MLS has averaged 486k for their 9 games on ABC so far. That's a direct like-for-like comparison. A win for the WNBA that 'they' can use to make their point. Instead of using numbers with zero context that don't equate to a valid comparison.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I don't know why the blue checkmarks never make valid comparisons with ratings/viewerships? That WNBA number is across the disney networks only, it is NOT the "2022 WNBA regular season ratings average" as it does not include games televised on other channels (CBS/CBSSN) -- which would lower the average viewers. In theory, since we don't get cbssn numbers but extremely obvious those cbssn games don't get good numbers. Also, why compare it to '21 MLS when '22 MLS is available?

You can make head-to-head, like-for-like comparisons, such as WNBA and MLS have both have had 9 games on ABC in 2022, and in similar (some same) timeslots. The WNBA averaged 622k for their 9 games and MLS has averaged 486k for their 9 games on ABC so far. That's a direct like-for-like comparison. A win for the WNBA that 'they' can use to make their point. Instead of using numbers with zero context that don't equate to a valid comparison.

That’s using logic. This is the internet. Logic is forgotten the second you pass through the Looking Glass.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

That’s using logic. This is the internet. Logic is forgotten the second you pass through the Looking Glass.

it's funny, you would think blue-check marks would be known. I never know these amateur's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad