MLS deal with Apple looks like a disaster after 2 weeks

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
MLS's 10-year deal with Apple is on paper worth $2.5 billion.

Keep in mind that 12 years ago the NHL signed a 10-year deal with NBC for $2 billion BUT kept the local component until the second round of the playoffs.

In Boston last weekend several Boston TV stations had issues trying to show highlights of the Revs home opener.

The Apple production elements have been excellent and the hardcore fans will sign up., but MLS doesn't haven't the hardcore numbers yet.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
MLS's 10-year deal with Apple is on paper worth $2.5 billion.

Keep in mind that 12 years ago the NHL signed a 10-year deal with NBC for $2 billion BUT kept the local component until the second round of the playoffs.

In Boston last weekend several Boston TV stations had issues trying to show highlights of the Revs home opener.

The Apple production elements have been excellent and the hardcore fans will sign up., but MLS doesn't haven't the hardcore numbers yet.

While TV money is great, it is trending down. MLS is primarily driven by game day revenue and not really reliant on TV money. With RSNs collapsing and TV money drying up, I am glad they made the early switch now and taking their chances than being buried on one of the large sports channel as filler or just added streaming content. I don't think most teams even drew well on RSNs to justify the standard sports broadcasting method. This at least gives them more control to ensure quality of the content and broadcasts. The ~six free weekly games offered for non MLS season pass subscribers or even non Apple TV+ subscribers should satisfy the small casual fans looking at tuning into games.

Reactions: oknazevad

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I haven't read the Atheltic article (I'm cheap), but based on the AA piece, this seems like a lot of speculation based on little substance. I dunno, doing quick math I would think Apple has a ways to go before the deal makes them money, but if Apple is serious about getting into sports would they really walk away after a few seasons, even if it is a money loser up to that point? I mean $250 million is a rounding error to Apple... They are probably paying MLS with the money they find between couch cushions in the employee lounge.

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Isn't the apple tv subscriber base down from a year ago or something? Could have sworn I saw some article on it somewhere.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I haven't read the Atheltic article (I'm cheap), but based on the AA piece, this seems like a lot of speculation based on little substance. I dunno, doing quick math I would think Apple has a ways to go before the deal makes them money, but if Apple is serious about getting into sports would they really walk away after a few seasons, even if it is a money loser up to that point? I mean $250 million is a rounding error to Apple... They are probably paying MLS with the money they find between couch cushions in the employee lounge.
People still carry cash?

I’d argue Apple needs to be patient and/or suggest promotion/relegation with lower leagues with the goal of bringing more markets and subscribers into the fold. And I may be having fun with the notion that there might be a 10% chance that there’s a financial basis in North America for pro/rel. That would be funny.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I think it was a huge gamble by both sides and will take a lot longer to shake out. The deal does basically position MLS as a cult sport but given the league will never have the world’s top talent it might make sense.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
People still carry cash?

I’d argue Apple needs to be patient and/or suggest promotion/relegation with lower leagues with the goal of bringing more markets and subscribers into the fold. And I may be having fun with the notion that there might be a 10% chance that there’s a financial basis in North America for pro/rel. That would be funny.
Apple has $19 billion in cash based on their Cash, Cash Equivalents and Marketable Securities statement. That number has only been growing every year.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Apple has $19 billion in cash based on their Cash, Cash Equivalents and Marketable Securities statement. That number has only been growing every year.
I sense humor lost in translation (I don’t think the organization loses cash in the couch). More important, my fear is that the cash on hand grows because Apple doesn’t tolerate losses for long. Which doesn’t mean they don’t put buggy products on the market before they fix them.

One thing I know Don Garber will actually tell you to your face is that he takes the core fans for granted. I do have concern that, for not the first time, this might bite him in his face.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I sense humor lost in translation (I don’t think the organization loses cash in the couch). More important, my fear is that the cash on hand grows because Apple doesn’t tolerate losses for long. Which doesn’t mean they don’t put buggy products on the market before they fix them.

One thing I know Don Garber will actually tell you to your face is that he takes the core fans for granted. I do have concern that, for not the first time, this might bite him in his face.
Apple has been pouring a lot of money into Apple+ to catch up in the streaming war. I am sure they will be fine with it for at least till this contract runs out to ensure there is more exclusive content.

The only concern I have is with the rumored opt out clause supposedly in the deal, that might be concerning if numbers don't steadily grow over the years.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
People still carry cash?

Pro/rel will never happen to MLS and no one can force MLS to adapt since that would be in voliation of anti-trust laws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad