MLS announces San Diego as it's 30th team, starting in 2025

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Quality of play in MLS is going to shit so let's add more teams, that should fix things!!!!!! One of my best friends put it best years back: "MLS is a Ponzi scheme".

• Haha
Reactions: robertmac43

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The quality of play is going to shit but adding teams has created more soccer fans here than ever before. So it’s a weird balancing act where up to a point it’s a good idea to keep doing this. But really after this there’s only room for two more teams before you start scraping the barrel on how many more fans you can get out of this.

Reactions: Peen

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
San Diego was pretty much a given once Sacramento didn’t have the funds to “earn” a MLS spot and once the Chargers left, outside the Padres they have no sports competition and it has good potential. Sucks that the Loyal will likely get screwed though, for a league which claims to want to grow the game they do alot of damage to the lower leagues in the US, especially now with the creation of MLS Next or whatever that reserve league is called

Reactions: Gecklund

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I know you'd be hard pressed to buy a team in the other major 4 leagues for that much these days but 500 million for an expansion MLS team seems like way too much. Then I don't really know shit about the MLS and its financials.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Great, another California team.

Huh? That’s like saying the Easy Coast has too many teams…state could easily handle 2-3 more teams no problem.
The quality of play is going to shit but adding teams has created more soccer fans here than ever before. So it’s a weird balancing act where up to a point it’s a good idea to keep doing this. But really after this there’s only room for two more teams before you start scraping the barrel on how many more fans you can get out of this.

Disagree, quality goes up every year, and I think the $$ on players leaving the league proves it. Being a global game, expansion does very little to dilute talent in MLS, as most starters on expansion teams end up being imports from somewhere else.
San Diego was pretty much a given once Sacramento didn’t have the funds to “earn” a MLS spot and once the Chargers left, outside the Padres they have no sports competition and it has good potential. Sucks that the Loyal will likely get screwed though, for a league which claims to want to grow the game they do alot of damage to the lower leagues in the US, especially now with the creation of MLS Next or whatever that reserve league is called

How are they supposed to expand without disrupting lower leagues? Only go to 5th tier cities that can’t support a team?

And the reserve league was created because the second division didn’t like having MLS “2” teams in their league.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Excited to catch a game there. I often end up in San Diego for work due to the conference centre there. Every time I go it seems the Padres are on the road, this should increase the odds of me going to a sporting event.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
30 teams is an obscene amount. It was too many for the NHL and it's too many for MLS.
I easily see MLS expand to 40. There is no risk of talent dilution in MLS that the other big 4 leagues may face with too much expansion.

Ideally i would like to see MLS split into MLS 1 & 2 to appease the promotion/relegation supporters and add more meaning to games at the bottom of the table with these many teams.

Reactions: JPBolts and luiginb

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I easily see MLS expand to 40. There is no risk of talent dilution in MLS that the other big 4 leagues may face with too much expansion.

Ideally i would like to see MLS split into MLS 1 & 2 to appease the promotion/relegation supporters and add more meaning to games at the bottom of the table with these many teams.
You are aware that MLS teams have limited international slots correct (each team is given 8 IIRC)?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

This is completely wrong. There isn’t enough talent for 30 teams, let alone 40. That’s ridiculous. Maybe you could get away with that if there was promotion/relegation, but that’s never happening either

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
You are aware that MLS teams have limited international slots correct (each team is given 8 IIRC)?

This is completely wrong. There isn’t enough talent for 30 teams, let alone 40. That’s ridiculous. Maybe you could get away with that if there was promotion/relegation, but that’s never happening either
Right now the number of international roster spots are limited but that can always be increased to allow more foreign talent to offset the dilution of domestic talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad