MLS - 2024 Season

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
New season is upon us! The CONCACAF Champions Cup has already kicked off. Relevant to the MLS, Philadelphia Union won on the road, Vancouver drew at home, CITY beat Houston at home, and the remaining teams play tonight/tomorrow.
Orlando came north and took it to the Cavs. Tough game for the Cavs, due to field regulations they needed to move the game to Starlight Stadium in Victoria....

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Curiously, no matter how hard I tried, I absolutely could not find a way to subscribe to MLS Season Pass last year without also being already subscribed to Apple TV - which I do not and will never use because all I ever watch are Jackets/Preds/Buckeyes/Crew games and maybe occasionally some of their opponents. So I made do without via means that we won't talk about publicly.

This year, however, it was surprisingly easy to locate. Go figure.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Seattle just getting their shit kicked in. Chu might be the worst signing in Seattle history. No idea how he ever gets on the field. Dude is legitimately the dumbest player I’ve ever seen.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I get that these refs are stopgaps but wow there is no consistency in these Seattle LAFC game
In the Columbus/Atlanta game the average time elapsed between a player going offside and the flag actually coming up was somewhere in the neighborhood of five seconds. It was just a teensy bit infuriating.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
In the Columbus/Atlanta game the average time elapsed between a player going offside and the flag actually coming up was somewhere in the neighborhood of five seconds. It was just a teensy bit infuriating.
They just took 5 minutes to give Seattle one of the most clear penalties I’ve seen.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They just took 5 minutes to give Seattle one of the most clear penalties I’ve seen.
Oh, they did similar for Columbus. Farsi was actually injured in the box, but at first they were convinced he was somehow offside despite having, like, a meter of space. (The phantom offside took place at the center line. Yes, it took them that long to come up with a wrong call.) VAR initially backed the folks on the field, but while the trainer was out working on Farsi they apparently decided to take a second look and thankfully got it right.

Of course, then Guzan manages to save it, but, meh, we won regardless so it worked out in the end. :)

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The referee in the Seattle game has only ever reffed two games that I could find. They were both open cup games that were between amateur clubs.
Oh, they did similar for Columbus. Farsi was actually injured in the box, but at first they were convinced he was somehow offside despite having, like, a meter of space. (The phantom offside took place at the center line. Yes, it took them that long to come up with a wrong call.) VAR initially backed the folks on the field, but while the trainer was out working on Farsi they apparently decided to take a second look and thankfully got it right.

Of course, then Guzan manages to save it, but, meh, we won regardless so it worked out in the end. :)
I did actually catch that. Kind of forgot about it though but yeah these refs are interesting at best

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The referee in the Seattle game has only ever reffed two games that I could find. They were both open cup games that were between amateur clubs.

I did actually catch that. Kind of forgot about it though but yeah these refs are interesting at best
Sure, I’m just saying that “stopgap” is a helluva euphemism in the context

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sure, I’m just saying that “stopgap” is a helluva euphemism in the context
I mean I don’t know how many current MLS refs are actually a part of the union is the thing. I haven’t paid a ton of attention to the ref issue I’ll be honest.

On a more positive note though De La Vega looks very good.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
galaxy should've won that game with how many chances they had, but getting a point against miami and with how atrocious the ref was, i'm not going to complain

Reactions: Gecklund

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
galaxy should've won that game with how many chances they had, but getting a point against miami and with how atrocious the ref was, i'm not going to complain

I'm so torn on being pissed off that we blew that game and being extremely encouraged by their performance. Puig really struggled this game, missed penalty and the turnover that lead to the goal. He bring good energy and is great on the ball, but his decision making has to be better. Feel like he puts a lot of pressure on himself to be the guy to win the games for us and it gets him in trouble.

Paintsil and Pec both look like quality signings.

Also Garber, dump these refs for everyone's sake.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'm so torn on being pissed off that we blew that game and being extremely encouraged by their performance. Puig really struggled this game, missed penalty and the turnover that lead to the goal. He bring good energy and is great on the ball, but his decision making has to be better. Feel like he puts a lot of pressure on himself to be the guy to win the games for us and it gets him in trouble.

jovelic should've taken that PK. he buries that

paintsil looked solid for just getting here a week ago, minus some defensive lapses and selfish play

overall, certainly an encouraging performance

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I’m a Riqui fan of course, so factor that in, but if the highlights and stats are any indication he wasn’t that bad. He definitely shouldn’t be your primary penalty taker and I think he can be a bit selfish. The giveaway? Fair to call him out, but all things considered I think it’s somewhat understandable. Besides, that goal happened after enough play and as someone who has watched Messi and Alba together for years and years that goal wasn’t a big surprise. Anyway, I saw a few actions that showed him doing well, like forcing a save that pushed the ball to the post or that secondary assist if you will based on his shot getting saved (though I’d argue he was selfish in taking that shot).

Yeah, that Paintsil signing seems a bit surprIsing.

Hopefully for you guys the Galaxy have a better season this term.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Injuries are really hurting us at the moment. Top 4 CBs are all hurt at the moment. Left playing a guy just called up from CITY2 and a FB through the middle

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I wonder when people catch on that even with Messi Miami is really nowhere near as good as people think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad