MLD2014 Prelminary Round - Mickey Ion - (3) Clarenville Caribous vs. (6) Tre Kronor

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Clarenville Caribous

Clarenville_Caribous.png

General Managers: tony d & Velociraptor
Home Venue: Clarenville Events Centre

Head Coach: Herb Brooks
Captain:
Assistant Captains:

ROSTER

Gerard Gallant - Marc Savard - Stephane Richer
John Ogrodnick - David Krejci-Peter Mcnab
Murph Chamberlain - Rick Meagher - Gary Dornhoefer
Harry "Moose" Watson - Dave Gagner - Dave Christian
Petr Sykora

Rick Ley - Dmitry Yushkevich
Petr Svoboda - Mike O'Connell
Keith Yandle - Pavel Kubina
Rick Green

Jiri Kralik
Tom Paton

Spares:
Rick Green, D
David Krejci, C
Jack Marks, F/D
Anton Stastny, RW

PP 1: John Ogrodnick, Marc Savard, Stephane Richer, Mike O'connell, Keith Yandle
PP 2: gerard Gallant, Dave Gagner, Dave Christian, Pavel Kubina, Dmitri Yuskevich
PK 1: Murph Chamberlain, Rick Meagher, Rick Ley, Dmitri yushevich
PK 2: Dave Gagner, gary Dornhoefer, Petr Svoboda, Pavel Kubina

VS

Tre Kronor

Steve Thomas - Sven Tumba - Art Gagne
Valeri Kamensky - Bill Hay - Marian Stastny
Don Maloney - Mikko Koivu - Mike Knuble
Jim Peplinski - Bill Clement - Wally Hergesheimer
Martin Straka, Billy McGimsie

Mattias Norström - Darryl Sydor
Marty McSorely - Alexei Zhitnik
Jeff Beukeboom - Mike Milbury
Uwe Krupp, Ivan Tregubov

Kirk McLean
Kelly Hrudey

Coached by Bobby Kromm

PP1

Steve Thomas - Sven Tumba - Art Gagne
Wally Hergesheimer - Alexei Zhitnik

PP2

Valeri Kamensky - Bill Hay - Marian Stastny
Darryl Sydor - Mike Knuble

PK1

Don Maloney - Mikko Koivu
Mattias Norström - Jeff Beukeboom

PK2

Jim Peplinski - Bill Clement
Darryl Sydor - Marty McSorley

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I certainly felt I should be higher up :naughty:

Good luck to Tony and Velo, Ill try to make a few comments in this series.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Same to you, Hobnobs. I'll make some comments either tonight or tomorrow after work. Hopefully velo will chime in as well

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Will debate in earnest this week, but first some lineup changes for the Caribous:

Gerard Gallant - Marc Savard - Stephane Richer
John Ogrodnick - David Krejci-Peter Mcnab
Murph Chamberlain - Rick Meagher - Gary Dornhoefer
Harry "Moose" Watson - Dave Gagner - Dave Christian
Petr Sykora

Rick Ley - Dmitry Yushkevich
Petr Svoboda - Mike O'Connell
Keith Yandle - Pavel Kubina
Rick Green

Jiri Kralik
Tom Paton

Spares:
Rick Green, D
David Krejci, C
Jack Marks, F/D
Anton Stastny, RW

PP 1: John Ogrodnick, Marc Savard, Stephane Richer, Mike O'connell, Keith Yandle
PP 2: gerard Gallant, Dave Gagner, Dave Christian, Pavel Kubina, Dmitri Yuskevich
PK 1: Murph Chamberlain, Rick Meagher, Rick Ley, Dmitri yushevich
PK 2: Dave Gagner, gary Dornhoefer, Petr Svoboda, Pavel Kubina

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
And their goaltending is a ? mark as well. Mclean and Hrudey are both decent goalies but I don't see them as being anymore than strong backups here. Going vs. a tandem of Kralik and Paton is problematic for lots of teams but here it would be even more.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Tre Kronor really needs to fix their power play

TDMM, you able to edit the OP with our roster changes to avoid some potential future confusion? Thanks.

Best of luck, Hobnobs. I'm pretty busy with school but I will try to add my thoughts on keys of the series, here are my initial thoughts:

- balanced scoring corps, although I think the Caribous hoist an advantage in the top-six, and have a stronger bottom-six in terms of defensive ability.
- I'll echo tony's statement about goaltending, there is no clear starter, not overly strong for the MLD.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
And their goaltending is a ? mark as well. Mclean and Hrudey are both decent goalies but I don't see them as being anymore than strong backups here. Going vs. a tandem of Kralik and Paton is problematic for lots of teams but here it would be even more.

Think you are overrating Kralik a bit, I think he is the best goalie here but the gap is not as big as you two seem to think.

Top-6 is an advantage for Tre Kronor

Gallant only has peak over Thomas but Thomas has a long career as a good player aswell as a better track record in the playoffs.

Tumba>Savard. Again, nice peak but really done nothing outside of it.

Gagne>>>Richer.

Second line is an advatage for me too since Stastny and Hay is a better combo than Krejci and McNab. Ogrodnick is another peak player.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Defense is also an advantage for the Caribous, here's how I'd rank the 12 top 6 defensemen in this series:

1) Ley
2) Yushkevich
3) Sydor
4) Svoboda
5) O'donnell
6) Zhitnik
7) Kubina
8) Norstrom
9) Milbury
10) Beukeboom
11) Mcsorley
12) Yandle

Your team certainly has the advantage with your defensemen in that many of them where hard hitters and played more defensive but you need a balance with your defense. I have that with Yushkevich, O'donnell and Kubina, with your team I see only Zhitnik and possibly Sydor who offer that balance.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think your bottom four in that list are about accurate. The other 8 could go a number of ways but I think you're overrating Yushkevich and Sydor there. Kubina, for example, was a Yushkevich-level warrior who also added an extra PP dimension. Incredible size and was a higher TOI player for a longer time.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
How is Zhitnik and Norström behind O'Connell? Two defensemen who didnt have to live off of Bourque :P But you are right most of my defensemen are defensive tho McSorley actually has a bit of an offensive record. Svoboda was one of my favorite defensemen but he wasnt better than Norström, no way.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Oh, that's O'Connell... I wondered what's O'Donnell doing above Beukeboom & McSorley (and in the MLD in general...). :D

I also think 70s likes Kubina way too much - the guy was a coward with loser's mentality and not a warrior.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Oh, that's O'Connell... I wondered what's O'Donnell doing above Beukeboom & McSorley (and in the MLD in general...). :D

I also think 70s likes Kubina way too much - the guy was a coward with loser's mentality and not a warrior.

You say that a number one on a cup winner had a loser's mentality? And he fought and threw some huge hits, why is he a coward?

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
You say that a number one on a cup winner had a loser's mentality? And he fought and threw some huge hits, why is he a coward?
I say a man that gives interview before the Salt Lake City OGs and states: "It will be very hard, the referees will be against us" (there was more defeatist/paranoid whining there but I don't remember it all 12 years later) is fishing for excuses before a tournament has even started.

Of course, while I lost all respect for him back then, I suppose it's not quite objective to generalize him based off one incident. I would not take him over Sydor, though, not even close.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Kubina might not be an all star but the guy had a very good career, he fits in quite well in my lineup I think. Also will Tre Kronor fix their power play? Seems like having 2 forwards as point men on your power play may hurt the team a little.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, Kubina might not be an all star but the guy had a very good career, he fits in quite well in my lineup I think. Also will Tre Kronor fix their power play? Seems like having 2 forwards as point men on your power play may hurt the team a little.

---------------------Goal----------------------
--------------------W----C--------------------
W--------------------------------------------W
------------------------D----------------------

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
---------------------Goal----------------------
--------------------W----C--------------------
W--------------------------------------------W
------------------------D----------------------

The issue is that the forwards you have up high are both guys who are known to be only useful in front of the net.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I meant Hergesheimer and Knuble, the guys listed on the points in the roster post

Yea Ill fix that. They are going towards the net.

Steve Thomas - Sven Tumba - Wally Hergesheimer
Art Gagne - Alexei Zhitnik

PP2

Valeri Kamensky - Bill Hay - Mike Knuble
Darryl Sydor - Marian Stastny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad