MLD10 Regular Season Results & Playoff Schedule

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The ATD-ML10 regular season has come to a close and the results will be posted below.

The playoffs begin today with an abbreviated first round like the 3-game first rounds the NHL used to have a couple of decades ago. Two teams per division have byes and the remaining teams will play a 3-game series.

Playoff match-up discussion starts today, continues tomorrow and the day after, with VOTING ON THIS THURSDAY, not before please, by midnight pacific time Thursday. Friday the results will be posted (volunteer writers for write-ups appreciated: but must be done between Friday morning at 8am eastern and Friday night at 10pm eastern, a tight schedule because it is an abbreviated first round).

The second round (divisional semifinals) WILL begin Friday night no later than 10pm eastern and will be a full 7-game series with the whole weekend for discussion.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
ATD10ML - The Minor League Draft

All-Star Team

Smokey Harris, left wing
Adirondack Red Wings

Charlie Burns, center
Newfoundland Fog Devils

Mickey Redmond, right wing
Labatt Blues

George Owen, defense
Melville Millionaires

Ken Randall, defense
Dayton Ohio Mincer Rays

Mike Liut, goaltender TIE
Peterborough Petes

John Ross Roach, goaltender TIE
Oxford Dark Blues

Rudy Pilous, coach
Peterborough Petes

The league MVP and two other finalists (based on most votes cast) are:

George Owen, MVP
georgeowen.jpg

Charlie Burns, MVP finalist
charlieburns2.jpg

Mickey Redmond, MVP finalist
mickeyredmond.jpg

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Finishing first in their division and first in league points, with home ice advantage throughout the playoffs...

Regina Capitals
Sir Montagu Allan divisional champions

Coach: Eddie Gerard

Steve Payne - Kent Nilsson - Yevgeny Babich (A)
Slava Kozlov - Paul Haynes - Tony Amonte
Brian Rolston - Brian Skrudland (A) - Jimmy Peters
Bob Probert - Syl Apps Jr. - Alf Skinner
Mike Krushelnyski, Cal Gardner

Glen Wesley (C) - Goldie Prodger
Robert Svehla - Hy Buller
Jeff Brown - Robyn Regehr
Yevgeny Paladiev

Miikka Kiprusoff
Ed Johnston​

Finishing first in their division and home ice advantage until at least the league finals...

New York Americans
Mickey Ion divisional champions

Coaches: Frank Boucher, Claude Ruel

Red Hamill (A) - Bill Thoms - Milan Hejduk
Nikolai Drozdetsky - Vyacheslav Anisin - Viktor Shalimov
Alex Tanguay - Vladimir Zabrodsky - Jaroslav Jirik
Dave Trottier - Dutch Reibel - Johnny Gagnon
Jack Marks

Joe Jerwa - Jack Laviolette (C)
Dave Babych - Yuri Fedorov (A)
Al Arbour - Bryan McCabe
Udo Kiessling

Viktor Konovalenko
Henrik Lundqvist​

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The MLD10 regular season standings:

Sir Montagu Allan division:

1. Regina Capitals
2. Peterborough Petes
3. Melville Millionaires
4. Sault St. Marie Greyhounds
5. Labatt Blues
6. Newfoundland Fog Devils

Mickey Ion division:

1. New York Americans
2. Oxford Dark Blues
3. Adirondack Red Wings
4. Dayton Ohio Mincer Rays
5. Yaroslav Manglers
6. Tidewater Sharks

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Finishing first in their division and first in league points, with home ice advantage throughout the playoffs...

Regina Capitals
Sir Montagu Allan divisional champions

Coach: Eddie Gerard

Steve Payne - Kent Nilsson - Yevgeny Babich (A)
Slava Kozlov - Paul Haynes - Tony Amonte
Brian Rolston - Brian Skrudland (A) - Jimmy Peters
Bob Probert - Syl Apps Jr. - Alf Skinner
Mike Krushelnyski, Cal Gardner

Glen Wesley (C) - Goldie Prodger
Robert Svehla - Hy Buller
Jeff Brown - Robyn Regehr
Yevgeny Paladiev

Miikka Kiprusoff
Ed Johnston​

Finishing first in their division and home ice advantage until at least the league finals...

New York Americans
Mickey Ion divisional champions

Coaches: Frank Boucher, Claude Ruel

Red Hamill (A) - Bill Thoms - Milan Hejduk
Nikolai Drozdetsky - Vyacheslav Anisin - Viktor Shalimov
Alex Tanguay - Vladimir Zabrodsky - Jaroslav Jirik
Dave Trottier - Dutch Reibel - Johnny Gagnon
Jack Marks

Joe Jerwa - Jack Laviolette (C)
Dave Babych - Yuri Fedorov (A)
Al Arbour - Bryan McCabe
Udo Kiessling

Viktor Konovalenko
Henrik Lundqvist​

WOW!!! :amazed:

Thanks guys. We expected to do well but this blows us away. I was quite startled to see this in post 3 after reading post 2 and seeing no all-stars from Regina. Must be seen as a very balanced team.

Congrats to Pit's NY Americans as well. It was a team I thought quite highly of. Any team with the balls to take McCabe deserves props. he absolutely belongs at this level; I just did not want to be the one to take him and justify it.

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
WOW!!! :amazed:

Thanks guys. We expected to do well but this blows us away. I was quite startled to see this in post 3 after reading post 2 and seeing no all-stars from Regina. Must be seen as a very balanced team.

Congrats to Pit's NY Americans as well. It was a team I thought quite highly of. Any team with the balls to take McCabe deserves props. he absolutely belongs at this level; I just did not want to be the one to take him and justify it.

Well deserved division win seventies.

Agreed on McCabe too. Definitely worthy of an MLD spot, and frankly, could play a role in a Top 4. Very good offensively, physical and not nearly as bad defensively as the Sportscentre highlight reel tries to paint him.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Well deserved division win seventies.

Agreed on McCabe too. Definitely worthy of an MLD spot, and frankly, could play a role in a Top 4. Very good offensively, physical and not nearly as bad defensively as the Sportscentre highlight reel tries to paint him.

especially considering we all like to say in these drafts that we're going to get an average or aggregate of what a player did throughout his career. Before McCabe became a major offensive threat, I thought he was doing pretty well defensively in Toronto.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Congrats to seventies on a well deserved division title. No more mid round seed for you and vcl.

I'm a bit surprised we pulled out our division, I thought every team looked extremely competitive.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Any team with the balls to take McCabe deserves props.
In the #6 slot he can only help, not be a liability there. Some defensemen are just offensive in both zones. :laugh:

ToskaLOL said:
I don't watch TSN much and missed that highlight reel show but I have seen literally hundreds of boner defensive plays by the gaffmeister. Top-4 and I'm sure a few of us would have dinged the team in our rankings a bit, like putting Redden and Stackhouse on an all-time second pairing.

seventieslord said:
Before McCabe became a major offensive threat, I thought he was doing pretty well defensively in Toronto.
NOT as a Vancouver Canuck he wasn't! He was as much of a 'project' as Aucoin had been, promising more than productive, excused time and again.

And NOT in his first year in Toronto, when Yushkevich was the man on defense and McCabe needed 'lessons' as Neale put it in costing the Laffs a game in the tight series loss to the Devils. Two or three years later he cost a couple of goals in the Philly series loss too.

I'm sorry. But in his own zone I have only PLENTY of memories of mistakes. Fortunately, I don't like the Leafs and laughed at pretty much all of them, except when they played an American team like NJ (ugh) or Philly (bigger ugh) in the playoffs, then the Canadian in me roots for them, finds a Sundin, Belfour or Yushkevich to appreciate.

Get me in a video room and I could make a top-100 dumb moves by McCabe youtube tribute.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
In the #6 slot he can only help, not be a liability there. Some defensemen are just offensive in both zones. :laugh:

I don't watch TSN much and missed that highlight reel show but I have seen literally hundreds of boner defensive plays by the gaffmeister. Top-4 and I'm sure a few of us would have dinged the team in our rankings a bit, like putting Redden and Stackhouse on an all-time second pairing.

NOT as a Vancouver Canuck he wasn't! He was as much of a 'project' as Aucoin had been, promising more than productive, excused time and again.

And NOT in his first year in Toronto, when Yushkevich was the man on defense and McCabe needed 'lessons' as Neale put it in costing the Laffs a game in the tight series loss to the Devils. Two or three years later he cost a couple of goals in the Philly series loss too.

I'm sorry. But in his own zone I have only PLENTY of memories of mistakes. Fortunately, I don't like the Leafs and laughed at pretty much all of them, except when they played an American team like NJ (ugh) or Philly (bigger ugh) in the playoffs, then the Canadian in me roots for them, finds a Sundin, Belfour or Yushkevich to appreciate.

Get me in a video room and I could make a top-100 dumb moves by McCabe youtube tribute.

Keep in mind "pretty well" is a relative term.

In his first three years in Toronto he played behind guys like Yushkevich and Svehla and the opportunities weren't as plentiful to screw up. He definitely did from time to time, but it wasn't like his last four years with the Leafs, after he got up over 25:30 per game and beyond. He was playing top lines a lot more often, too.

He definitely screwed up a lot in the '04 Flyers series but 90% of it was in one game - game 5, which I believe was 7-1. :(

The thing about McCabe is, his offensive (PP) production tends to greatly overrate him, and his high-profile gaffes tend to underrate him slightly.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Keep in mind "pretty well" is a relative term.

In his first three years in Toronto he played behind guys like Yushkevich and Svehla and the opportunities weren't as plentiful to screw up. He definitely did from time to time, but it wasn't like his last four years with the Leafs, after he got up over 25:30 per game and beyond. He was playing top lines a lot more often, too.

He definitely screwed up a lot in the '04 Flyers series but 90% of it was in one game - game 5, which I believe was 7-1. :(

The thing about McCabe is, his offensive (PP) production tends to greatly overrate him, and his high-profile gaffes tend to underrate him slightly.
all true!

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Note: while no Soviets made the 1st all-star team the closest runner-ups were all Soviets! Tikhonov as coach and Konovalenko in net, with a not quite as close as those two were but clear second place standing to Babich on right wing.

(I would have posted a 2nd all-star team but at center, defense and especially left wing there were simply too many players with a couple of votes, none standing out.)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That's nice to see that you guys think I sold Babich well. Although, he's on a first line, does that mean you see him as a potential ATD scoring forward? The voting was done based on how well they could do their MLD role, in the ATD, correct?

I think an energy line role for him in the ATD is definitely a possibility but a scoring role might be pushing it. Even if he's the least talented player on the line. Thoughts?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
...does that mean you see him as a potential ATD scoring forward?
Well... the other two Soviets received votes from most of the GMs so it's easy to say they'd be accepted in the main ATD as at least backup goalie and in a coaching tandem.

I suspect that Babich would be best received as an extra forward type ATD pick or at best a 4th liner,... though a Bobrov-Starshinov-Babich line looks like a fine 2nd line or scoring 3rd line to me. :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad