MLD10 Line-up Assassination Thread

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The Regina Capitals

Regina_Capitals.GIF

GM: seventiesvancitylordluongo
Coach: Eddie Gerard

Steve Payne - Kent Nilsson - Yevgeny Babich (A)
Slava Kozlov- Paul Haynes - Tony Amonte
Brian Rolston - Brian Skrudland (A) - Jimmy Peters
Bob Probert - Syl Apps Jr. - Alf Skinner

Glen Wesley (C)- Goldie Prodger
Robert Svehla - Hy Buller
Jeff Brown - Robyn Regehr

Miikka Kiprusoff
Ed Johnston

Extras:
D Yevgeny Paladiev
C Cal Gardner
C/LW Mike Krushelnyski

Go on, fellas. Put the "ass" in assassinate :D

Amonte is an excellent second line option. He's been quickly forgotten for whatever reason, but he was one of the game's elite snipers circa 2000. Good enough to be on a first line in this thing IMO. A good playmaker in Haynes should be the perfect compliment.

I love that third line with Rolston and Skrudland. Skrudland was a frsutrating player to play against, especially in the playoffs, right up to the end of his career. Solid defensive work and in the faceoff circle, and then he'd score the winning goal just to rub it in.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Since neither team has been reviewed yet, and because they are in different divisions and thus my comparison of them to each other does NOT influence anyone's decisions for ranking within divisions...

Today on the VI,...
an interdivisional MLD10 preseason game
between the Adirondack Red Wings and Labatt Blues

PREVIEW:

"Welcome to the first postcast of the MLD10 preseason, this afternoon live from the Adirondacks, brought to you thanks to the game's sponsor

saranac.gif

THE LOCKER ROOM REPORT:

Spirits are high in the Red Wings dressing room, as coach Jimmy Skinner kisses his 1955 Stanley Cup ring, coughs and addresses the Red Wings, comfortable in the role, having coached three NHL all-star games before as well as leading the NHL's namesake to a 123-78-46 record. Team captain Dunc Munro says a few words, knowing this contest like this entire season will be more difficult than the 1924 Olympic gold-medal team he captained, the very same team in which MLD10 Dark Blues center Moose Watson scored an incredible 36 goals in 5 games. Wings alternate captain Doug Young wears his trademark cowboy hat and doesn't need to tell his teammates about the first Stanley Cup he captained for the NHL Red Wings franchise, nor the second Cup he captained from the bench, sidelined by injury. The other alternate captain Tom Lysiak remains quiet, letting his two-way play on the ice speak for itself, though he has a history of starting slowly and taking some time for fans to warm up to him, needing the right environment to thrive, and being a captain isn't so natural to him as to the other two, though regular season success in upstate New York this MLD10 season, with a sniper in Kehoe on his right and a two-way PCHA-all-star Harris on his left, is optimistically expected to do for him what a few years did for him in Atlanta.

Over in the visitors dressing room, bottles of Saranac are left unopened as the Blues opt for a Labatt's to raise in cheer, as another, more experienced Stanley Cup-winning coach of the NHL's Red Wings brings his 231–118–61 record into the new season with a new team. His choice of captains is a bit of a surprise in the inexperienced defensive defenseman Dave Langevin, whose supporting role on the dynasty Isles is expected to translate into a lead-by-example role on a MLD10 team of stars. Further surprising, his alternates, right wingers Redmond and Christian have less than two years of experience between them in captaining a Blues team that's full of untapped character at the center position, including 4-year ex-Rangers captain Kelly Kisio. Don't be surprised if he, Reay, Pahlsson or Gomez become a captain before the season ends.

THE GAME:

The home team jump out to an early lead thanks to the evident chemistry of their second line, the pre-WWII NHL trio: Lady Byng Romnes and his ol' teammate right winger March hoping to add a third trophy this season to the two Stanley Cups they earned in Chicago, with slapshot artist Shibicky on the left side. The Wings Lysiak with help from Harris spend more time backchecking the fast though diminutive Blues centers, skilled as they are in passing to wingers who go the net, energetic Cain from Gomez, bustling Courtnall from Reay and hard-nosed Lamb from Kisio. The Blues get many scoring chances and benefit from playing a Red Wings team without much muscle at centre ice, though they need all their speed and passing to avoid bone-crunching checks by Wings defenders, most notably heavy minute McNamara and the youngest captain in Rangers history Maloney in his secondary, third pairing role in Adirondack, using his speed and physicality to knock Redmond and Cain around. The Blues eventually tie it up on a Christian powerplay marker from Reay and Stackhouse. Then Gomez sets up the go-ahead goal on a hard shot by Loughlin from the point. A young Bulin Wall keeps the gates shut despite defensive gaffs by the pairing of Redden and Stackhouse and the visitors steal the game 2-1, Peeters recording the loss despite 31 saves and solid play from the blueline.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Kyle: Thanks for the quick review. I think a guy like Haynes will find Amonte often. There's more to life than top-10 finishes but I think Regina's second line is the only one to have a guy who was top-3 in assists and a guy who was top-3 in goals. And each guy did it twice.

It's also why I have Apps, purely a playmaker, with Skinner, purely a goal-scorer, together on the 4th. It's a line designed to be a grind line or clutch scoring line as the situation requires, and I think it's only fair to expect a player who wasn't a great goal-scorer himself, to need a guy to feed, and vice versa for a guy who was a great goal-scorer but not a great playmaker.

VI: Nice job on the preseason game.

This is probably it for me, guys. How do you tell your wife you have to get away from her for a while on Valentines Day to go to the computer and give your fellow GMs feedback on their lineups? :D

Wish I could have been a lot more active this time, but of course there is the playoffs too.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
VANI..thanks for the preseason game. Was nice to read. As for the captains, they were only temperory and will be announced later today.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
*Incidentally, I sure hope Glass brings a physical game. Someone has to open up room for Taylor and Ogrodnick.
From what I've read, it seems that Glass thrived when playing on the top line to create room for his talented linemates:

"He was in perpetual motion; when he wasnt forechecking tirelessly to create room for scoring linemate ernie russel, he was heading back to help defenders with their chores. Surprisingly Glass is not in the Hall of fame"
"Pud Glass played alongside Ernie Russell, Hod Stuart and Ernie Johnson, but is often forgotten. He was without a doubt the mighty Wanderers' hardest-working forward"
-Ultimate Hockey

*Maybe it's just me, but I think Sutter's the best defensive forward on this team. He's good enough for the ATD. He should have been picked a lot earlier in the MLD, and if we didn't get George Gee, I would have strongly pushed to get Sutter.
*Not sold on Duguay for the fourth line centre role. Slot Sutter into that role, and this team will have two excellent defensive lines.

I will probably either drop Goldsworthy or Duguay from the lineup to make room for Sutter.Depends on what team i'm facing in the playoffs. If my opponent has alot of size and stregth, I will want to keep Duguay as a RW to play in front of the net on the PP and have Sutter as the 4th line C.

*Defence is what you'd expect from an E-Speak assembled team. Some really good talent with guys like Sydor, Van Boxmeer and Marois all very capable puck-movers.
Ken Randall is also a very accomplished offensive player. His point production was often on pace with players like Cleghorn, Boucher, and Cameron.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Is Morrison a solid defensive player? I admit that all I know about him is that he's decent offensively. This said, Sydor/Marois pairing is IMO extremely risky. Marois certainly brings toughness when he doesn't have the puck, but that's really it. He also struck me as a guy who is also risky in his own zone, whether he does or doesn't have the puck. Truth to be told, his numbers are identical to thoses of a still-active guy (that i heavily suspect the GM that would have picked him will have been made a laughinstock), inspite of playing in a much higher scoring era and on more offensive-minded teams.

I can find no concrete evidence that Morrison was a strong defensive player. However there is no evidence to suggest he was not. Inconclusive

I have never seen Marois play in his prime but there were a couple things that led me to beleive he was a strong two-way player. one is a quote from legends of hockey
Marois' offensive talent suited the Nords' fast-paced game and his tough work on defense pleased coach Michel Bergeron. His crisp passes and willingness to fend off opposing forwards made him a valuable asset to the club when it reached the semi-finals in 1982 and 1985.

Another is the fact that he placed in the top ten in Norris voting twice without ever coming close to the top ten in scoring, which (trust me) doesnt happen very often. the only other players who did that in the 80's were great defensive players like Kevin Lowe, Rick Green, Brian Engblom, Jim Schoenfeld, Brad McCrimmon and Rod Langway.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I recall in the nineties Adam Foote characterized as a less offensive Marois and at another time as "..no Marois..." by fans of the Nordiques-Avalanche franchise.

I have only memories of respect for the guy. Offensively he liked to push the envelope, took chances, but defensively in his own zone he was physical and smart. I respected him and was no Nordiques fan and others spoke fondly of him too. He was a force on the ice, you knew when he was out there.

This is not the first MLD that I've wanted to get Marois and have come up just short. I guess I need to put him higher in the pecking order.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I missed Marois's best year. My best source here is - once again - my dad, who saw lots of the guy when he was with the Nords. Basically, he was a tough guy, but brought wasn't exactly great defensively - as was pretty much the whole Nords squad with the notable exception of Rochefort.

This said, I view Marois as a competent guy on both the PP and the PK, though every team would be better having him on the 2nd waves rather than on the firsts. (Actually, I don't know if he played PK a lot, but it's only common sense that a tough guy play on the PK, no matter how good or bad he is on the technical aspects of defense, as long he isn't a total bonehead).

I'll cast my votes tonight, if im not already too late...

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'll cast my votes tonight, if im not already too late...
It is not too late. There's an hour and half left before the noon Monday DEADLINE. Tonight will indeed be too late. DO WHAT YOU CAN now... even if it's just the rankings of one division.

As GBC and I and anyone who's worked in media know... a deadline IS a deadline... not a due date. The publication must be put out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad