Zin Bilyaletdinov - Dave Lewis
Jyrki Lumme

John Ross Roach
Don Edwards

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Oxford is the first of the reviews...

*As expected, an excellent entry from Mr. MLD (VanI) and NP. (Does that make Nalyd Mrs. MLD for this draft?) Along with 70s and possibly the Speaker and pappy, they probably have the largest list at their fingertips.
*I've said my concerns before about Richer in a top-line role. He's too inconsistent for my liking. It's good that he has Deadmarsh as a complimentary grinder on his line, but Richer's a guy who just bugs me. He's arguably the best combo of speed and goal scoring ability in the MLD, and he had the talent to be a perennial 40-50 goal guy. He hit 50 goals twice, but never topped 40 again. He probably met expectations two or three times in his career. The other seasons, he left you wanting more, and in most cases, he left you wanting a lot more.
*The Blues hype the second line as the Hall-of-Fame line, and while that's great, and I don't want to sound like I'm diminishing the past HHOFers, it was a lot easier to get into the HHOF in 62. (They inducted 27 players that year). If the HHOF retained their standards that they had in the early days, there'd probably be 500-600 players in the HHOF.
I always have a hard time reading the pre-26 guys. They'll benefit from a lot of the changes - the advent of the forward pass chief among them. They also have to face goaltenders who can drop to their knees to make a save. They're also going to face a level of competition that they never came close to facing, even at the MLD level. I don't think the competition issue is as pronounced as it is in the ATD, but it's still an issue in the MLD.
*Where does Jason Arnott fit on the third line? I see an excellent MLD defensive winger in Houle (you don't have to convince me on Reggie Houle, he was No. 3 or 4 on my list for guys for that role), and an average/slightly above average defensive LW in Duchesne. Is Arnott good enough defensively for that role, even in the MLD. And is he consistent enough for that role?
*Is the fourth line a grind line, or a third scoring line? If it's a third scoring line, it fits. Gelinas can open up room for Koivu and Sykora. They're also excellent skaters. If it's a grind line, then Sykora is really miscast.
*Marty Gelinas is one of my all-time favourite players. I was actually at his first game as a Canuck. Loved watching him gain some notoriety as The Eliminator in the 2004 playoffs. I was hoping to get him, but I was away, and raleh went with one of our boys, Johnny Wensink. I think Gelinas is in his best role - a high-end fourth line energy guy in the MLD.
*You also have the potential to re-united two-thirds of NJ's A-Line. Too bad Patrick Elias is gone.
*Defence is excellent. We had Machac penciled into our blue line until you guys snagged him. Watch out for a Billy Coutu meltdown.
*Probably the best 1-2 goaltending punch in the draft. It should be - VanI traded up to get Edwards in the 8th round. Roach is good enough to be a back-up or a No. 3 in the ATD. Edwards is good enough to be a No. 1 in most MLDs, although in this MLD, with the goaltending talent that was available, he's better suited to back-up duties.
Most teams do have excellent goaltending, though, so I don't know if the Blues' goaltending advantage is as pronounced as it would have been in other MLDs.
*Tikhanov might be the best coach in the draft, but much like a Kilrea or a McMillan, I think he works better in a good cop/bad cop tandem. Tikhanov's an excellent strategist, and he has a great mind for the game. He's also the toughest, most demanding coach in the MLD, and maybe either draft. I've seen the guy really struggle in recent years because he's just not an easy coach to work with.
Tikhanov and Richer could be the coach-player relationship most likely to boil over and cause a major distraction for a team.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Coach: Rudy Pilous
Assistant: Dick Todd

Tony McKegney-Clint Smith-Marian Stastny
Geoff Sanderson-Barry Pederson-Wally Hergesheimer
Ray Getliffe-Mike Ricci-Leo Labine
Darcy Tucker-Andrew Cassels-Rich Preston
Don Metz

Gilles Marotte-Mike Milbury
Fredrik Olausson-Dave Ellet
Bill Juzda-Jason Smith
Roman Hamirlik

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Oxford Dark Blues

coach: Viktor Tikhonov
captain: Dickie Boon
alternates: Rick Ley, Saku Koivu

Stephane Richer - Josef Malecek - Adam Deadmarsh
Jimmy Gardner - Moose Watson - Tom Hooper
Gaetan Duchesne - Jason Arnott - Rejean Houle
Martin Gelinas - Saku Koivu (A) - Petr Sykora
Viktor Zhluktov, Konstantin Loktev

Dickie Boon (C) - Oldrich Machac
Billy Coutu - Rick Ley (A)
Zin Bilyaletdinov - Dave Lewis
Jyrki Lumme

John Ross Roach
Don Edwards

I like your goltending, defense and 3rd and 4th lines. How effective your forwards can be defensively is questionable (are Duchesne and Roule enough?), but at least you have the best goaltending in the draft and your defense will be hard to pass. I'm not sold on your 2nd line ( why didnt watson play in the NHL?), and given that your 1st line is without an elite playmaker, I have doubts on how well they will mesh on the ice.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Peterborough review...

The defending MLD champs have iced another excellent squad. A lot of familiar faces on this team, too.

*Tony McKegney isn't the most talented LW in the MLD, but he's one of the best fits for this line, a strong grinding forward with an excellent shot and a strong presence along the boards. A perfect fit alongside Clint Smith.
*How physical is Wally Hergesheimer? He'd better have a strong physical dimension, or I don't think that second line will work against the tougher teams. Pederson and Sanderson have tremendous skill, but they need that certain type of player, a McKegney type, to do the dirty work for them.
*If Richer's the best combo of speed and goal-scoring ability in the draft, then Sanderson's the second best. But Sanderson has the same warts that Richer has: fits of inconsistency, frustrating stretches when he didn't come close to his limitless potential, and overall soft play. Sanderson-Pederson, if they have the right fit on RW, could be one of the most dazzling tandems in the draft. Or it could be the biggest waste in the draft. Not sure if there's a middle ground. Labine might be the better fit.
*When Ray Getliffe was picked, I said he was the best defensive line LW in the draft. I'm not a big fan of line-matching, but at this level, Getliffe will cause fits for opposing top forwards. I think he's good enough to be in the ATD, and Charlie Burns is the only defensive forward in this thing who is better.
*What direction are you seeking for the fourth line? I'm a big Darcy Tucker fan, but if you want a third scoring line, he's miscast. And if you want a grind line, Cassels is miscast.
*Blue line is strong. I wouldn't want to have the Olausson-Ellett tandem out there for more than a shift or two a game against the opponent's top line. And I've always doubted Olausson because he could be a real yo-yo. But there's no denying the talent, and the overwhelming shots, that the Jets tandem possesses.
*Jason Smith is a rock for a No. 6 defenceman. As I said in the main thread, I had him for a possible No. 7 defenceman. Love his character and his leadership. The MLD's answer to Joe Watson - not great at anything (except character and possibly shot-blocking), but does a lot of things well. You'll get Murphy's support with that pick.
*As of the time of writing, TC's goalies are Mike Liut and Frank McCool. Another strong 1-2 punch, featuring a goaltender who has been an ATD fixture (Liut) and has been in the ATD in the past.
*Coaching is excellent. When you picked him, I said that Rudy Pilous was the best coach in the draft. Of course, Tikhanov has since been picked, but I think Pilous is right up there with Tikhanov, and the Pilous-Todd tandem is outstanding, more likely to succeed than just Tikhanov on his own. It's not Johnson-McMillan, but in the MLD, nobody is.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Coach: Rudy Pilous
Assistant: Dick Todd

Tony McKegney-Clint Smith-Marian Stastny
Geoff Sanderson-Barry Pederson-Wally Hergesheimer
Ray Getliffe-Mike Ricci-Leo Labine
Darcy Tucker-Andrew Cassels-Rich Preston
Don Metz

Gilles Marotte-Mike Milbury
Fredrik Olausson-Dave Ellet
Bill Juzda-Jason Smith
Roman Hamirlik

You have a nice balance of aggression, defensive awarness, leadership,,experience and skill on your defense,. Marotte/Milbury and Juzda/Smith are two great shutdown pairs while Olausson/Ellett can get it done offensively. Marotte has good offensive abilities as well.
I have doubts about Hergesheimer's role as a 2nd line RW playing beside two speedy goal scorers, "the garbage collecter" will be a great asset on the PP, but will he have good chemistry sanderson and pederson? In his day he was getting fed by one of the best playmakers in the league Paul Ronty, he wont have this privaledge playing on this line.
Love your third line!

Last edited:

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Dayton Ohio Mincer Rays:

Coach: Brian Kilrea
Assistant Coach: Bobby Kromm

Camille Henry - Marc Savard - Bill Goldsworthy (A)
John Ogrodnick - Billy Taylor - Frank "Pud" Glass (C)
Sergei Nemchinov - Peter Zezel - Claude Larose
Curt Fraser - Ron Duguay - Leeroy Goldsworthy
Ron Sutter

Ken Randall (A) - John Van Boxmeer
Darryl Sydor - Mario Marois
Doug Jarrett - Jim Morrison
Adrian Aucoin

Sean Burke
Johnny Mowers

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Tidewater Sharks

Head Coach: Fr. David Bauer
Assistant Coach: Lloyd Percival

Mike Karakas
Jose Theodore

Kenny Jonsson (A) - Steve Chiasson
Dan Boyle - Randy Gregg
Phat Wilson - Jack Ruttan
Marty Burke

Simon Gagne - Doug Weight - Corb Denneny
Sergei Kapustin - Harry Trihey (A) - Blaine Stoughton
Sergei Brylin - Jozef Golonka (C) - Anders Kallur
Greg Adams - Bob Gracie - Bill Flett
Lorne Carr

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
sault ste. marie GREYHOUNDS
download.php

gm: papershoes
coach: randy CARLYLE
captain: paul SHMYR
assistant captains: paul MACLEAN, doug BODGER

#20 anton STASTNY - #9 paul RONTY - #51 paul MACLEAN (A)
#13 ray WHITNEY - #15 dave GAGNER - #22 ulf DAHLEN
#12 mark OSBORNE - #91 alexander ALMETOV - #41 stu BARNES
#27 eric VAIL - #16 laurie BOSCHMAN - #14 bulldog FAIRBAIRN
extra: #10 marion GABORIK

#6 dick REDMOND - #23 jeff beukeboom
#3 paul shmyr (C) - #8 doug BODGER (A)
#5 rick GREEN - #4 jay BOUWMEESTER
extras: #2 curt GILES, #21 dennis KEARNS

#27 ron HEXTALL
#1 bouse HUTTON​

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yaroslav Manglers

Coach : Odie Cleghorn

Rick Nash -- Harry Oliver -- Real Cloutier
Dubbie Kerr -- Skene Ronan -- Bruce Ridpath
Rabbit McVeigh -- Cully Dahlstrom -- Mac Colville
Vic Lynn -- Andy Blair -- Willie Plett
André Pronovost, Nick Fotiu

Pekka Rautakallio -- Dmitry Yushkevich
Fred Lake -- Hamby Shore
Mattias Ohlund -- Sheldon Souray
Howard McNamara, (Mac Colville)

Olaf Kolzig
Rollie Melanson

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Dayton Ohio Mincer Rays:

Ron Sutter

Adrian Aucoin

Sean Burke
Johnny Mowers

*It was nice to see Marc Savard finally selected in an MLD. He's earned the spot. He's one of the best playmaking centres in the game. People used to talk about how Savard was a product of Kovalchuk. Now they say Savard is that damn good. Camille Henry and Bill Goldsworthy will love playing with Savvy.
*If there is a concern, it might be that Savard and Taylor are a little too similar. They're both dynamic playmaking centres, which is great. They're two of the best playmaking centres in the draft. But I also like having the change-up, the chance to go with a different type of offensive player for my second line.
*Incidentally, I sure hope Glass brings a physical game. Someone has to open up room for Taylor and Ogrodnick.
*Maybe it's just me, but I think Sutter's the best defensive forward on this team. He's good enough for the ATD. He should have been picked a lot earlier in the MLD, and if we didn't get George Gee, I would have strongly pushed to get Sutter.
*That being said, Peter Zezel is probably the best face-off guy in the MLD. For years, he was among the most highly regarded face-off guys in the sport.
*Not sold on Duguay for the fourth line centre role. Slot Sutter into that role, and this team will have two excellent defensive lines.
*Anyone who has any doubts about Curt Fraser's ability for a defensive line need only to put in a tape of any game from Vancouver-Chicago in the 1982 conference final. Fraser's defensive play was a big reason the Canucks made it to the Cup final in 82.
*Defence is what you'd expect from an E-Speak assembled team. Some really good talent with guys like Sydor, Van Boxmeer and Marois all very capable puck-movers. Marois brings an excellent blend of skill and toughness, although he isn't much defensively.
*Just to show how deep the goaltender pool is in this draft: in MLD 8, Burke and Mowers were my top-two rated goaltenders. In this draft, they're both solid, but not top-notch goalies. Both are good enough to be No. 1's, though. If I would have had my lists in front of me, I probably would have gone with Mowers instead of Nabokov as our No. 2.
*Is Kromm more of a player's coach? Because I think you need that with Kilrea. I'm a big Kilrea fan, and I love seeing the great junior coaches picked in this. But he's tough. I don't know if there's any conflicts waiting to happen with Kilrea and anyone on this team. Worth noting is that Kilrea's expected to retire after this season.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Dayton Ohio Mincer Rays:

Ron Sutter

Adrian Aucoin

Sean Burke
Johnny Mowers

Is Morrison a solid defensive player? I admit that all I know about him is that he's decent offensively. This said, Sydor/Marois pairing is IMO extremely risky. Marois certainly brings toughness when he doesn't have the puck, but that's really it. He also struck me as a guy who is also risky in his own zone, whether he does or doesn't have the puck. Truth to be told, his numbers are identical to thoses of a still-active guy (that i heavily suspect the GM that would have picked him will have been made a laughinstock), inspite of playing in a much higher scoring era and on more offensive-minded teams.

I'll also add that if Ron Sutter can play LW, I would insert him on the 3rd line instead of Nemchinov, who would make a fine 4th line C.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
MELVILLE MILLIONAIRES
Celebrating 100 years of hockey
Co-GMs: raleh and God Bless Canada
Coach: Tom Johnson
Assistant Coach: Dwight McMillan
Captain: George Owen
Alternate Captain: Ryan Smyth
Alternate Captain: Mike Richards
Alternate Captain: Brad Richards

FORWARDS
Ryan Smyth-Brad Richards-Zigmund Palffy
Dennis Hextall-Pierre Larouche-Keith Crowder
Jay Pandolfo-George Gee-Rob Niedermayer
Johnny Wensink-Mike Richards-Doug Brown
Herb Carnegie

DEFENCEMEN
George Owen-Garry Galley
Ed Jovanovski-Andrei Markov
Kjell Samuelsson-Sylvain Lefebvre
Sylvain Cote

GOALTENDERS
Kirk McLean
Evgeni Nabokov​

Power play units:
PP1: Smyth-Richards-Palffy-Owen-Jovanovski
PP2: Hextall-Larouche-Crowder-Galley-Markov

Penalty killing units:
PK1:Pandolfo-Gee-Samuelsson-Lefebvre
PK2: Smyth-B. Richards-Owen-Markov
PK3: Crowder-M. Richards-Jovanovski-Galley
PK 4: Brown-Niedermayer-Samuelsson-Owen​

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
New York Americans

Coach: Frank Boucher
Assistant Coach: Claude Ruel

Red Hamill - Bill Thoms - Milan Hejduk
Nikolai Drozdetsky - Vyacheslav Anisin - Viktor Shalimov
Alex Tanguay - Vladimir Zabrodsky - Jaroslav Jirik
Dave Trottier - Dutch Reibel - Johnny Gagnon
Jack Marks

Joe Jerwa - Jack Laviolette
Dave Babych - Yuri Fedorov
Al Arbour - Bryan McCabe
Udo Kiessling

Viktor Konovalenko
Henrik Lundqvist

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
New York Americans

Coach: Frank Boucher
Assistant Coach: Claude Ruel

Red Hamill - Bill Thoms - Milan Hejduk
Nikolai Drozdetsky - Vyacheslav Anisin - Viktor Shalimov
Alex Tanguay - Vladimir Zabrodsky - Jaroslav Jirik
Dave Trottier - Dutch Reibel - Johnny Gagnon
Jack Marks

Joe Jerwa - Jack Laviolette
Dave Babych - Yuri Fedorov
Al Arbour - Bryan McCabe
Udo Kiessling

Viktor Konovalenko
Henrik Lundqvist

Balls out offense?
I'm not sure I would play Laviolette on D...

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Wow, lots of very good teams in this MLD. Here's my entry:

Adirondack Red Wings
Coach: Jimmy Skinner

Smokey Harris - Tom Lysiak(A) - Rick Kehoe
Alex Shibicky - Doc Romnes - Mush March
Percy Galbraith - Gregg Sheppard - Al MacAdam
Danny Grant - Eric Staal - Mud Bruneteau
Extras: Tim Young, Jan Erixon

George McNamara - Dunc Munro(C)
Doug Young(A) - Clem Loughlin
Doug Crossman - Dave Maloney
Jiri Fischer

Pete Peeters
Wilf Cude​

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
A pre-emptive strike (Melville Millionaires self-evaluation)...

*We have a lot of scoring ability in our top two lines. Ziggy Palffy is one of the top offensive wingers in the draft. He's a treat to watch offensive with his skill level and goal scoring ability. He was at least a point-per-game player in nine of his final 10 seasons. Few guys in the draft boast nine seasons over a point-per-game. He'll be taking passes from Brad Richards - one of the top clutch players in the draft. Ryan Smyth will be leaned on for his ability to pick up the garbage goals, control the boards and the corners, and set the tone with his strong forechecking ability. (He'll also give us a guy who's a force in front of the net on the PP).
*When we picked Larouche for our second line centre spot, we knew we had to get certain types of players for our second line. Larouche is a dynamo, arguably the best goal-scoring centre in the draft. At this level, he's a game-breaker. But he still needs guys who can get him the puck, and guys who can open up room for him with their physical play. Hextall and Crowder fit the bill nicely. Hextall had three seasons over 50 assists. A solid second line playmaking grinder for the MLD. Crowder was tough as nails, but he also had a goal scorer's touch, too. One of the few players in the MLD who fit the billing of a "power forward."
*After Charlie Burns was picked, George Gee was the guy I wanted to centre our third line. He was a tremendous defensive centre who was part of Detroit's Reproduction Line, along with Metro Prystai and Gaye Stewart.
*It's not the traditional GBC third line with guys who can score and backcheck. Pandolfo won't get us much offensively. He doesn't even have 100 career goals. But the guy can backcheck. Rob Niedermayer came into the league as a scorer, but when that wasn't working, he reinvented himself into a defensive forward who can play both centre and wing. It worked. He has a Stanley Cup ring and a World Championship gold medal because of it. While Nieds is a different type of player than Mike Ricci, it's a similar story to Ricci's.
*The fourth line features a raleh guy (Wensink) and a GBC favourite (Mikey Richards), and then a solid two-way winger (Brown) who was a pretty underrated guy for Detroit when they won back-to-back Cups.
*One strength of our forwards is their all-round game. Outside of Palffy and Larouche, we can use any forward on a penalty kill, or to play against the opponents top line, or when leading by a goal late in a game. Richards, Smyth, Hextall and Crowder all bring much more to the table than offence.
*The one player raleh and I wanted was George Owen. So imagine our surprise when Owen slipped to No. 10 in the draft. Best defenceman in the draft. Best offensive defenceman in the draft. He's our franchise player, our captain and our MVP. Garry Galley wasn't the dream defensive partner for Owen, but it's hard to fudge a pairing in an MLD when it involves Owen.
*Our defence was assembled a little differently. Instead of picking our top pairing, then our shutdown pairing and then our other pairing, we went with the guy we wanted for the top pairing, then the other pairing, then the shutdown pairing. I think it works better in the MLD than the ATD, because there are few elite defencemen, and few elite defencemen for any role.
*Our top four defencemen can really move the puck. That's a strength. There's a lot of skill on our blue line. And our bottom pairing can shut down any opponent. Kjell Samuelsson was a force in the late 80s and early 90s. Sylvain Lefebvre was one of the best defensive defencemen in the league for the better part of the 1990s.
*As I said before, if I would have had my list in front of me, we probably would have gone with Mowers instead of Nabokov. That's not to say we're disappointed to have Nabokov. Bad goaltenders don't get first-team all-star births in this decade. Kolzig, Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Kiprusoff, Nabokov - that's pretty impressive company. We'll give McLean about 50-55 starts, and then Nabokov will get the rest.
*As I said before, I believe our coaching is the best in the draft. Johnson's excellent. Those who want a level-headed players' coach with a good mind for the game, as an assistant in the ATD, need look no further than Tom Johnson. He wasn't a coach for very long, but he was very good. Dwight McMillan has been a coach for a long time. And he's also very good. Among those with 1,000 wins, I believe Dwight is the only one that's done it with the same team. And when Kilrea retires this summer, Dwight will be the winningest active coach in junior, collegiate or pro hockey. Anywhere.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Balls out offense?

Pretty much. I felt there were only a very small number of defensive forwards that brought either enough offense in an ATD context or enough defense to make up for their offensive shortcomings and when most of them were taken I changed my strategy up. I think offensive players have the advantage in the MLD because aside from a couple players there aren't really any elite defensive players to check them.

I'm not sure I would play Laviolette on D...

Why not? As far as I can tell he spent most of his career playing defense aside from a few years at the end of his career up front.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
sault ste. marie GREYHOUNDS
download.php

gm: papershoes
coach: randy CARLYLE
captain: paul SHMYR
assistant captains: paul MACLEAN, doug BODGER

#20 anton STASTNY - #9 paul RONTY - #51 paul MACLEAN (A)
#13 ray WHITNEY - #15 dave GAGNER - #22 ulf DAHLEN
#12 mark OSBORNE - #91 alexander ALMETOV - #41 stu BARNES
#27 eric VAIL - #16 laurie BOSCHMAN - #14 bulldog FAIRBAIRN
extra: #10 marion GABORIK

#6 dick REDMOND - #23 jeff beukeboom
#3 paul shmyr (C) - #8 doug BODGER (A)
#5 rick GREEN - #4 jay BOUWMEESTER
extras: #2 curt GILES, #21 dennis KEARNS

#27 ron HEXTALL
#1 bouse HUTTON​

*A very dangerous first line with skill from all three players and the grit of Paul MacLean. Bad news for Anton is that he won't be taking passes from his brother. The good news is that Paul Ronty is a heck of a playmaker, especially at this level. One of the most dangerous, best built, top lines in the draft.
*Is Ulf Dahlen what the Greyhounds need for the second line? Nothing against Ulf. He's the MLD's chairman of the boards. But I see two 30-goal seasons, and one 70-point season, on his resume. Gagner's not the type who needs someone to open up room for him.
*Ray Whitney has long been one of hockey's most underrated offensive players. He's on pace for the eighth 60-point season of his career.
*Is Mark Osborne good enough defensively for that third line role?
*Is Stu Barnes really underrated, or is it just me?
*I think Laurie Boschman is the ultimate MLD fourth line centre. Good skill, excellent grit and toughness.
*Beukeboom's an interesting player to look at. He should be on the third pairing in the MLD. But fans with good memories will remember that he was Brian Leetch's partner for years with the Rangers. A total contrast in styles, but they worked well together.
*Redmond and Shmyr were both guys that I wanted to be Owen's defensive partner. That should say a lot right there.
*There isn't a defenceman in the MLD like Jay Bouwmeester. Very big. Extremely mobile. Very smart. Moves the puck very well. It's too bad he's been stuck in NHL purgatory since he arrived in the show. Hopefully that'll change next year, so he can hook up with a credible franchise, and challenge for the Norris.
*I see a trend with this blue line. Match up an offensive guy (Bodger, Redmond, Bouwmeester) with a defensive presence (Shmyr, Beukeboom, Green).
*Hextall was our No. 1-rated goalie, for no other reason than he's a former Melville Millionaire. But he's more than just a token Mill. Was he inconsistent? Yeah. Did he play his way out of a couple cities? Sure. But when he was on, he was great. We look forward to seeing Ryan Smyth drive Hextall nuts in front of the net.
*Randy Carlyle's a solid coach. One of the game's best.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Tidewater Sharks

Head Coach: Fr. David Bauer
Assistant Coach: Lloyd Percival

Mike Karakas
Jose Theodore

Kenny Jonsson (A) - Steve Chiasson
Dan Boyle - Randy Gregg
Phat Wilson - Jack Ruttan
Marty Burke

Simon Gagne - Doug Weight - Corb Denneny
Sergei Kapustin - Harry Trihey (A) - Blaine Stoughton
Sergei Brylin - Jozef Golonka (C) - Anders Kallur
Greg Adams - Bob Gracie - Bill Flett
Lorne Carr

Before I start, I must say that outside of VCL, no GM has made more strides in the last couple of drafts than Hedberg. His entries have come a long ways in a short amount of time. And if he can avoid putting John Ferguson on the third line, his teams will really be dangerous.

Anyways...

*I want to know who's going to do the dirty work on the top two lines. I see a lot of skill guys. I see the potential for instant offence. But you still need the guys who can do the work along the corners and the boards, the guys who can be tough, the guys who can provide the physical dimension.
*I really like Doug Weight as a top line centre. He's fearless and aggressive. But if you're asking him to be that physical presence on the top line, you're asking too much. Still, that top line can play against anybody.
*This team probably has the best third line RW in the draft (Kallur) and the best fourth line RW in the draft (Flett). Kallur was in our discussions for third line RW options as early as the ninth round. He's an excellent defensive RW with some offensive upside. I wanted Flett because he played in Melville, but like Hextall, he wasn't a token Mill. He's big, he's tough, and he had 43 goals. Against a more physical team, he'd be a good guy to have on the second line in place of Stoughton.
*The fourth line, as a whole, is probably one of the best-assembled fourth lines in the draft. Maybe the best. I'm not asking questions about this line. They have good skill and a strong two-way presence.
*The defence is solid. Jonsson's never became the superstar many envisioned when he was a young defenceman, but he was long considered one of the most underrated defencemen in the league. He can get you 25 minutes of solid, reliable, steady all-round play. He can do it all. Chiasson is a solid, well-rounded defenceman.
*I don't know if there is a natural ace No. 1 defenceman on this team, even by MLD standards, but the top four is very, very good. This will likely be Boyle's last MLD. Once he picks up a second all-star team birth this summer, he'll be elevated to No. 6 offensive defenceman in the ATD. His pro-rated, 82-game average since the start of 2002-03 is 56 points.
*Goaltending is a bit of a question mark. Not so much for their abilities, but for their consistency. The top-end for Karakas and Theodore is great. But Karakas is probably the most inconsistent No. 1 goalie, and Theodore is probably the most inconsistent back-up. It's a potentially very volatile, very troublesome situation. If they're on, they're stellar. If they're not, those top two lines will have to score a lot of goals to win.
*Love the David Bauer pick. While I thought he was out-of-place on Bucky's ATD 9 team, I think he's a great MLD coach.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Labatt Blues
2007BluebackroundLabattBluelogo.jpg

GM's: chaosrevolver, cottonking
Head Coach: Mike Babcock
Captain: Dave Langevin
Assistant Captain: Mickey Redmond
Assistant Captain: Dave Christian

Herb Cain - Scott Gomez - Mickey Redmond
Geoff Courtnall - Billy Reay - Dave Christian
Steve Konowalchuk - Samuel Pahlsson - Jack Findlay
Dave Reid - Kelly Kisio - Joe Lamb
Mike Grier

Dave Langevin - Normand Rochefort
Wade Redden - Ron Stackhouse
Mike O'Connell - Darius Kasparaitis
Gord Fraser - Jack Campbell

Nikolai Khabibulin
Marty Turco

We also, by the way, have some plans for dropping and adding. Grier will be gone for a center and we might consider dropping one of our defenseman, for a forward, although we like all 8.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We also, by the way, have some plans for dropping and adding. Grier will be gone for a center and we might consider dropping one of our defenseman, for a forward, although we like all 8.
you have less than 24 hours to do so: see the schedule on the draft thread (one or two pages from the end)

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Complete Labatt Blues

Labatt Blues
2007BluebackroundLabattBluelogo.jpg

GM's: chaosrevolver, cottonking
Head Coach: Mike Babcock
Captain: Dave Langevin
Assistant Captain: Mickey Redmond
Assistant Captain: Dave Christian