MLD 2016 Quarterfinals: Toronto Blueshirts vs. Milwaukee Panthers

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
ToronotoBlueshirtsscript.gif

Retired Numbers: Frank Nighbor

Head Coach: Punch Imlach

John Ogrodnick - Craig Janney - Kevin Dineen (C)
Alex Shibicky - Daniel Briere - Bobby Schmautz
Tom Anderson - Jaroslav Holik (A) - Bill Fairbairn
Baldy Cotton - Ken Linseman (A) - Keith Crowder
Glen Skov, Buddy O'Connor, Mike McPhee

Roman Hamrlik - Andre Dupont
Mario Marois - Jyrki Lumme
Mark Tinordi - Petr Svoboda
Billy Coutu

Chris Osgood
Tom Paton

PP1:

Ogrodnick - Janney - Dineen
Hamrlik - Lumme

PP2:

Shibicky - Briere - Schmautz
Svoboda - Marois

PK1:

Jaroslav Holik - Bill Fairbairn
Dupont - Tinordi

PK2:

Linseman - Cotton
Marois - Hamrlik

VS:

Milwaukee Panthers

Head Coach: Emile Francis

Captains: Walt Buswell
Alternates: Howard mcnamara, Mike Ricci

johnny Wilson-Mike Ridley-Johnny Gagnon
Geoff Courtnall-Art Chapman-Carson Cooper
Shayne Corson-Mike Ricci-Jimmy Peters
Ulf Dahlen-Michal handzuz-PAt Flatley

Phil Russell-Tomas Kaberle-
Walt Buswell-Dave Ellett
Bingo Kampman-Howard Mcnamara

Jiri Kralik
Olaf Kolzig

Extras: Don Maloney, Slava Bykov, ME Vlasic, Tomas Jonsson

Special Teams:

PP 1: Geoff Courtnall, Mike Ridley, Johnny Gagnon, Tomas Kaberle, Dave Ellett
PP 2: Shayne Corson, Art Chapman, Carson Cooper, Phil Russell, Howard Mcnamara
PK 1: Michal handzuz, Jimmy Peters, Walt Buswell, Bingo Kampman
PK 2: Shayne Corson, Mike Ricci, Phil Russell, Howard Mcnamara​

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
billfairbairn.jpg

Dupont | 72-79 | 22.02 | 1.53 | 25.34
Hamrlik | 97-04 | 24.78 | 0.97 | 24.53
Lumme | 92-99 | 23.81 | 1.05 | 24.20
Marois | 82-89 | 23.85 | 1.03 | 24.08
Tinordi | 91-98 | 23.40 | 1.01 | 23.48
Svoboda | 89-96 | 21.05 | 1.19 | 22.29

(Bill Fairbairn) He found that niche came on the Rangers checking line. Fairbairn found a home with Dave Balon (later Steve Vickers) and Walt Tkaczuk on the "Bulldog Line." The trio were renowned for their hard hitting, hard forechecking style. Though defense was their primary concern, the line chipped in offensively as well. Fairbairn scored more than 20 goals 4 times and even topped the 30 goal mark in 1972-73. In all Fairbairn played with Rangers for 8 years. He was a consistent 60 point contributor who was at his best when he was running into people and causing havoc with his spirited, "bulldog-like" play.
http://nyrangerslegends.blogspot.com/2010/12/bill-fairbairn.html

In case anyone is wondering, I didn't post a table for bottom six forwards because I think it would give too much credit to the Bobrovs, Pedersons, Ogrodnicks and Janneys of the draft, guys who don't belong in role playing positions. ...

70s made that last post before I changed my lines, but Ogrodnick and Janney are on my first line and can score. Ogrodnick scored 26 points in 41 playoff games. Janney has 110 points in 120 playoff games. Dineen scored 41 points in 59 playoff games. Briere has a 7 year total VsX of 473 and his 116 points in 124 playoff games are as many as his contemporary Marleau scored in 171 playoff games. Schmautz has a 7 year total VsX of 376 and scored 61 points in 84 playoff games. Linseman scored 120 points in 113 playoff games.

Imlach has a good defensive team with a good PK anchored by Fairbairn, who also brings some offense to my third line and my PK1 with three top tens in Short-Handed Goals and one top ten in Game-Winning Goals. My Modern defensemen by TOI are listed above. Osgood is one of the best MLD goalies and Paton is a solid backup.

Thanks, tony. Good luck to you also. May the best team win. Thanks for this opportunity, guys. This is the most research and time I've put into a draft and regardless of the results, it was well worth it.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think these teams are fairly even on D and in coaching, but Toronto has a better goalie and better all-around ability at forward, particularly at center. They're by no means perfect, and there is much to like about Milwaukee, but three forwards could decide this series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad