MLD 2015 Semi Finals - Regina Capitals (2) vs Conception Bay Cee Bees (5)

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Regina Capitals

coach: Emile Francis

Geoff Courtnall - Mike Ribeiro - Gary Dornhoefer
Shayne Corson (A) - Jason Allison - Marian Stastny
Murph Champberlain - Tomas Plekanec - Jimmy Peters
Morris Lukowich (A) - Pete Stemkowski - Jason Pominville

Jack Evans - Rick Ley (C)
Marty Burke - Bob Murray
Doug Jarrett - Pavel Kubina

Johnny Mowers
Kelly Hrudey

spares: Walter Smaill (D/F), Billy Harris (F), Martin Straka (F), Gordie Roberts (D)

PP1: Courtnall - Ribeiro - Dornhoefer - Murray - Kubina
PP2: Corson - Allison - Stastny - Ley - Pominville

PK1: Plekanec - Peters - Evans - Ley
PK2: Stemkowski - Chamberlain - Jarrett - Burke
PK3: Corson - Pominville - Murray - Kubina

VS​

Conception Bay Cee Bees

Coach: Eddie Gerard

"Rabbit" McVeigh - Victor Zhluktov (A) - Real Cloutier
Adam Deadmarsh - Syl Apps Jr. - Red Hamill (A)
Pierre Mondou - Sami Pahlsson - Alex Burrows
Ron Murphy - Terry Ruskowski (C) - Rich Preston
Moose Goheen, Mike Knuble, Cliff Koroll

Harry Mummery - Tomas Jonsson
Dave Ellett - Dave Langevin
Dick Redmond - Barry Gibbs
Jason Smith

Roger Crozier
Wilf Cude

PP1: Dave Ellett - Syl Apps - Victor Zhluktov - Real Cloutier - Dick Redmond
PP2: Harry Mummery - Pierre Mondou - Adam Deadmarsh - Red Hamill - Tomas Jonsson

PK1: Charles McVeigh - Sami Pahlsson - Harry Mummery - Tomas Jonsson
PK2: Terry Ruskowski - Alex Burrows - Dave Langevin - Barry Gibbs

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Alright, I've been having a bit of a time trying to figure out what approach to take here, so I'll just throw out a quick one.

I have two lines that are led by dangerous, balanced offensive threats in Cloutier and Apps, and role players to complement them exactly. 70s' group, while talented, has a little less on the high end, while at the very least Stastny's playmaking aspect is lost playing with the pass-first Allison and glue-only Corson.

Also, my goaltending's better.

Now, Seventieslord cannot help himself but write an essay to tell me how I'm wrong, and I'll have something to rebut, point by point. :P

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
1. Yes your goaltending is better. It's really marginal and we've each got an elite starter so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

2. In the same way, I've got a coaching edge, though your coach is also very good, so not much ground made up there.

3. Glue-only Corson? That's a fair statement because he's a good deal behind the best scoring line players in this draft and his own linemates too. But what do you think McVeigh and Deadmarsh are? Corson's a good 10% ahead of McVeigh offensively based on VsX, while being every bit as pestiferous and not giving up anything in any other area. Deadmarsh is pretty much Corson's equal in 7-year VsX, but wasn't as good in any intangible area, and put up literally 14 seasons as good as Deadmarsh's best 7. He would best be described as "a slightly better Adam Deadmarsh, and for twice as long". Now, I realize you did what you had to do and got players who can do things other than score to help your offense-only scorers, so I don't begrudge you for that. But they're just as glue-only as Corson!

4. One thing that really concerns me about the Conception Bay squad is that its second pairing features a player just not qualified for the MLD. Guys who played less than 19 minutes a game in their career can wait an extra draft, when there are only 8 teams and 48 starting D-men. He's in a rare category at this point. Not only that, but his career was quite short. And when he went to other teams (yes, he was getting old for the era), his role did not increase, so there's little to say "well if he had been on Hartford all along he'd have been playing 24 minutes, he only played so little 'cause it was the Islanders." Bob Lorimer was playing more than Langevin!

5. I just don't know what to make of the third line I'm up against. It features a very good defensive forward (better than his Regina counterpart though?) who, since no one drafted a goon, is probably the worst offensive forward in this draft. It also features a pretty solid offensive player who doesn't have much of a defensive or physical resume and actually loses in whatever type of comparison you want to make to Chamberlain. It also features Alex Burrows, a very good defensive forward in his own right, and a decent scorer in the right situation - which he is not in now. Comparing him to Peters in intangible areas is tough, but offensively he does not measure up (368 to 267 in VsX 7-year), and his decent selke voting record is likely not as good as what one would imagine for Peters from reading the THN articles on him. Offensively, defensively, physically, Regina's 3rd line is going to be the most effective. This is where we expect to win the series.

6. Zhluktov is a really big question mark here too. He was an ok, not great scorer in the soviet league, peaking at 5th and 10th in scoring. Ribeiro has been 12th and 13th in the NHL. If there was really anything concrete we knew about Zhluktov's game you could use this to bridge the offensive gap that exists, but you'd have to rely on Ribeiro's negatives, and is that really enough when he's a guy who's been practically a guarantee to be top-40 in scoring when healthy for the past 11 seasons?

7. short form stuff:

- I definitely take Dornhoefer over McVeigh, but yeah, Cloutier's gonna outscore Courtnall, no doubt.
- Apps and Allison are practically equal (I wouldn't call Apps "balanced", he's a pure playmaker just like Allison, 30% of his points were goals, 27% for Allison). I see no reason to take Deadmarsh over Corson. Is it possible to argue Hamill over Stastny? He was 16th in points twice, which was good, but that was 1942 and 1946, and the dropoff is quite sharp after that.
- I don't have anything bad to say about your 4th line. Our fourth lines won't win or lose this for us.
- Although I gave low all-star votes to Mummery, Gibbs and Ellett, and I think your defense is solid enough, I honestly think my early priority on defense gave me four defensemen better than your best. What would you say to that?
- You're going to have more potent point men on the PP. It's a good set of four guys, but we expect to carry the play more often at even strength and allow you the short term PP advantage.
- Your PK is in trouble, considering you've got Jonsson on it. He almost never killed penalties in real life. Regina's PK defense is loaded with consummate defensive players. whatever edge your pointmen have is going to be negated by the Ley-Evans-Burke-Jarrett quartet. It's unfair that any MLD team would have to face those four for a whole series, really.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
1. Yes your goaltending is better. It's really marginal and we've each got an elite starter so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

2. In the same way, I've got a coaching edge, though your coach is also very good, so not much ground made up there.

3. Glue-only Corson? That's a fair statement because he's a good deal behind the best scoring line players in this draft and his own linemates too. But what do you think McVeigh and Deadmarsh are? Corson's a good 10% ahead of McVeigh offensively based on VsX, while being every bit as pestiferous and not giving up anything in any other area. Deadmarsh is pretty much Corson's equal in 7-year VsX, but wasn't as good in any intangible area, and put up literally 14 seasons as good as Deadmarsh's best 7. He would best be described as "a slightly better Adam Deadmarsh, and for twice as long". Now, I realize you did what you had to do and got players who can do things other than score to help your offense-only scorers, so I don't begrudge you for that. But they're just as glue-only as Corson!

4. One thing that really concerns me about the Conception Bay squad is that its second pairing features a player just not qualified for the MLD. Guys who played less than 19 minutes a game in their career can wait an extra draft, when there are only 8 teams and 48 starting D-men. He's in a rare category at this point. Not only that, but his career was quite short. And when he went to other teams (yes, he was getting old for the era), his role did not increase, so there's little to say "well if he had been on Hartford all along he'd have been playing 24 minutes, he only played so little 'cause it was the Islanders." Bob Lorimer was playing more than Langevin!

5. I just don't know what to make of the third line I'm up against. It features a very good defensive forward (better than his Regina counterpart though?) who, since no one drafted a goon, is probably the worst offensive forward in this draft. It also features a pretty solid offensive player who doesn't have much of a defensive or physical resume and actually loses in whatever type of comparison you want to make to Chamberlain. It also features Alex Burrows, a very good defensive forward in his own right, and a decent scorer in the right situation - which he is not in now. Comparing him to Peters in intangible areas is tough, but offensively he does not measure up (368 to 267 in VsX 7-year), and his decent selke voting record is likely not as good as what one would imagine for Peters from reading the THN articles on him. Offensively, defensively, physically, Regina's 3rd line is going to be the most effective. This is where we expect to win the series.

6. Zhluktov is a really big question mark here too. He was an ok, not great scorer in the soviet league, peaking at 5th and 10th in scoring. Ribeiro has been 12th and 13th in the NHL. If there was really anything concrete we knew about Zhluktov's game you could use this to bridge the offensive gap that exists, but you'd have to rely on Ribeiro's negatives, and is that really enough when he's a guy who's been practically a guarantee to be top-40 in scoring when healthy for the past 11 seasons?

7. short form stuff:

- I definitely take Dornhoefer over McVeigh, but yeah, Cloutier's gonna outscore Courtnall, no doubt.
- Apps and Allison are practically equal (I wouldn't call Apps "balanced", he's a pure playmaker just like Allison, 30% of his points were goals, 27% for Allison). I see no reason to take Deadmarsh over Corson. Is it possible to argue Hamill over Stastny? He was 16th in points twice, which was good, but that was 1942 and 1946, and the dropoff is quite sharp after that.
- I don't have anything bad to say about your 4th line. Our fourth lines won't win or lose this for us.
- Although I gave low all-star votes to Mummery, Gibbs and Ellett, and I think your defense is solid enough, I honestly think my early priority on defense gave me four defensemen better than your best. What would you say to that?
- You're going to have more potent point men on the PP. It's a good set of four guys, but we expect to carry the play more often at even strength and allow you the short term PP advantage.
- Your PK is in trouble, considering you've got Jonsson on it. He almost never killed penalties in real life. Regina's PK defense is loaded with consummate defensive players. whatever edge your pointmen have is going to be negated by the Ley-Evans-Burke-Jarrett quartet. It's unfair that any MLD team would have to face those four for a whole series, really.

Some responses:

3. Fair, but neither McVeigh or Deadmarsh bring the negatives Corson brings as far as discipline - that's reflected in per-game PIMs to a degree, but more in the non-zero chance he'll just lose it and do something particularly ill-advised. It's up to the voters to decide whether that's going to happen or not.

5. I think Burrows can benefit from Mondou's offensive skill, and that Mondou is at least conscientious enough to pull his weight on a defensive line. The wide gulf in offensive talent between the best and worst guy on this line isn't ideal, but it is designed to be balanced and defensively responsible.

6. He's a bit difficult to get a read on, but his size is something McVeigh and Cloutier lack, and he's close to PPG in major international tournaments, just behind ATD-drafted Loktev.

- I don't have anything to say about the 4th lines, other than that it'd be exciting as heck to watch them square off. This is why we do ATDs!
- Murray strikes me as being of a similar ilk to Ellett and Redmond - I consider Mummery my #1 guy, without getting into it (maybe I can get into it tomorrow morning before I vote, we'll see). Evans, I'd value with the former 3 players, although with very different strengths.
- I've intentionally placed Mummery and Jonsson as full-time partners, which is something I value. I see them as decent on both sides of the puck, with Mummery being strong and boisterous, and Jonsson being more cerebral.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Regina over Conception Bay in 7
1/2. Roger Crozier and Johnny Mowers (tied)
3. Rick Ley

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
This is definitely a series where I feel good about taking a loss. Great series, great team 70s!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad