MLD 2015 Quarter Finals - EHC Pikes Oberthurgau (4) - Conception Bay Cee Bees (5)

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
EHC Pikes Oberthurgau
160-160-1-oberthurgau_zpsjijvxiyn.jpg

Gerard Gallant - Billy Taylor - Carson Cooper
Fred Scanlan - Harry Trihey (A) - Arthur Farrell
Andre Boudrias - Mike Rogers - Scott Mellanby (C)
Don Maloney - Jozef Golonka - Claude Larose
Ted Hampson - Alexei Zhamnov

Dan Hamhuis - Doug Bodger
Kim Johnsson - Adrian Aucoin (A)
Petr Svoboda - Steve Chiasson
Brad Maxwell - Sylvain Cote

Olaf Kolzig
Sean Burke

Coach: Rudy Pilous

PP1: Gallant-Taylor-Cooper-Aucoin-Chiasson
PP2: Scanlan-Trihey-Farrell-Bodger-Svoboda
PK1: Boudrias-Maloney-Hamhuis-Aucoin
PK2: Rogers-Golonka-Bodger-Johnsson

VS​

Conception Bay Cee Bees

Coach: Eddie Gerard

"Rabbit" McVeigh - Victor Zhluktov (A) - Real Cloutier
Adam Deadmarsh - Syl Apps Jr. - Red Hamill (A)
Pierre Mondou - Sami Pahlsson - Alex Burrows
Ron Murphy - Terry Ruskowski (C) - Rich Preston
Moose Goheen, Mike Knuble, Cliff Koroll

Harry Mummery - Tomas Jonsson
Dave Ellett - Dave Langevin
Dick Redmond - Barry Gibbs
Jason Smith

Roger Crozier
Wilf Cude

PP1: Dave Ellett - Syl Apps - Victor Zhluktov - Real Cloutier - Dick Redmond
PP2: Harry Mummery - Pierre Mondou - Adam Deadmarsh - Red Hamill - Tomas Jonsson

PK1: Charles McVeigh - Sami Pahlsson - Harry Mummery - Tomas Jonsson
PK2: Terry Ruskowski - Alex Burrows - Dave Langevin - Barry Gibbs

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I quite like Conception Bay's team, but I think Oberthurgau's strengths are:

1) a better top line - CB has a superstar winger, but weighed down by a unknown quantity centre and a player better suited to the bottom six

2) better scoring from the bottom six - the Pikes should be able with their top-six level offence third liners in Boudrias and Rogers to bring significantly more offence than CB's depth. If Pahlsson/Burrows manage to shut down one of the top lines, they're suited to step up.

3) defence that doesn't need to be sheltered. CB has a team of more specialized defenceman that are best used in certain situations, which will be harder to dictate not having home ice. The Pike's are relatively comfortable with all their pairs in any situation.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Well, it sort of makes me feel a bit better about all this knowing Hedberg is as late on the draw as I was, but I'll offer a similarly short counterpoint to give you all some food for thought, and then vote in the morning.

1) While you'll get some good use out of Rogers on the 3rd line (he's at very least a scrappy little puck hound who was pretty good on faceoffs IIRC), it'll be more difficult for this bottom six to deal with the Cloutier line and the Apps line coming in waves.
2) Pike's second pairing seems a bit lopsided on the offensive side. Maybe you have different information than I do, but both Johnsson and Aucoin seem like guys who wouldn't be carrying the defensive load on an MLD pairing.
3) Roger Crozier is my clearest advantage in just about any matchup.

I'll vote tomorrow. For serious.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Well, it sort of makes me feel a bit better about all this knowing Hedberg is as late on the draw as I was, but I'll offer a similarly short counterpoint to give you all some food for thought, and then vote in the morning.

1) While you'll get some good use out of Rogers on the 3rd line (he's at very least a scrappy little puck hound who was pretty good on faceoffs IIRC), it'll be more difficult for this bottom six to deal with the Cloutier line and the Apps line coming in waves.
2) Pike's second pairing seems a bit lopsided on the offensive side. Maybe you have different information than I do, but both Johnsson and Aucoin seem like guys who wouldn't be carrying the defensive load on an MLD pairing.
3) Roger Crozier is my clearest advantage in just about any matchup.

I'll vote tomorrow. For serious.

And a minute after this post, before I realized it was even made, I advised Johnny on Facebook that he had won this series.:laugh:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I look silly given the post directly above me...but now my opponent is in the 2nd round playoff thread!

It was that close!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad