MLD 2014 Quarterfinals - Mickey Ion - (1) Regina Pats vs. (5) Alberta Golden Bears

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Coach: Darryl Sutter

Dennis Hextall - Herb Jordan - Harry Oliver
Andre Boudrias - Jason Allison - Real Cloutier
Bob MacMillan - Mike Ridley - Mike Murphy (A)
Terry Ruskowski (A) - Ted Hampson - Tony Granato

Dunc Munro (C) - Tomas Kaberle
Jack Evans - Gord Fraser
Marty Burke - Leo Reise Sr.

Chico Resch
Charlie Hodge

Spares:
Walter Smaill (D/F)
Bob Turner (D/W)
Charlie Tobin (F/D)
Bert McCaffrey (D/RW)

PP1:Hextall - Jordan - Oliver - Kaberle - Reise
PP2: Boudrias - Allison - Cloutier - Fraser - Munro
PK1: Ridley - Murphy - Munro - Burke
PK2: Hampson - MacMillan - Evans - Fraser
PK3: Ruskowski - Boudrias - Munro - Reise

VS

Alberta Golden Bears
logo-alberta_golden_bears.jpg

Coach : Marc Crawford

Thomas Vanek - Claude Giroux (A) - Keith Crowder
Venjamin Alexandrov - Victor Shuvalov - Konstantin Loktev
Shawn Burr - David Backes - Rich Preston
Milan Lucic - Todd Marchant - Rob Niedermayer
Ex : Fred "Steamer" Maxwell, Ron Duagay

Pekka Rautakallio - Lars Bjorn
Walt Buswell - Mike Green
Fredrik Olausson - Alex Levinsky
Ex : Jason Smith, Tom Hooper

Wilf Cude
Pekka Rinne

Power Play

PP1

Thomas Vanek - Claude Giroux - Keith Crowder

Fredrik Olausson - Mike Green

PP2

Venjamin Alexandrov - Victor Shuvalov - Konstantin Loktev

Penalty Kill

PK1
Todd Marchant - Rich Preston

Walt Buswell - Alex Levinsky

PK2
David Backes - Shawn Burr

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Random thought - I think Dunc Munro, Jack Evans, and Walt Buswell are all in the tier of what I would consider elite defensive defensemen in this draft, and I honestly can't tell who is the best between them.

70s - why so much love for Munro compared to the other two?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Random thought - I think Dunc Munro, Jack Evans, and Walt Buswell are all in the tier of what I would consider elite defensive defensemen in this draft, and I honestly can't tell who is the best between them.

70s - why so much love for Munro compared to the other two?

I bet a lot of it has to do with the fact that Munro is on a first pairing and Buswell and Evans are on second pairings. First pairing guys always get preferred by voters.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Some quick thoughts:

- As far as first line tough guys go, Hextall > Crowder. Crowder was able to lead a team in scoring once, but was nowhere near the leaders. Hextall led his team in scoring every time he played a full season in his prime, and was top-20 in points twice, and was no less tough.

- Oliver is definitely far better than Vanek at this point.

- Projecting Shuvalov is difficult, but I think it's fair to say he would not have been anywhere near Allison's level (a top-20 scorer four times) in the NHL.

- In a best-case scenario, Loktev is about as talented and about as skilled in other ways as Boudrias. Similarly, in a best case scenario, Alexandrov is about as talented as Cloutier (top-2 in WHA points three times, excellent NHL PPG)

- None of Regina's third line is as skilled in raw defense as anyone on Alberta's line. however, they're all plus players defensively, much better overall as two-way players and all are tough but clean.

- I think Bjorn is way out of his league being on an MLD 1st pairing. I mean, he's not even as good as Tregubov, is he? and Tregubov is a spare in this draft (not that he should be)

- There's some decent skill in the Alberta defense. The big differences I see are that they have no one in Munro's league defensively on their first pairing and no one in Burke's league defensively (or overall) on their third. While their best three offensemen (Pekka, Green, Olausson) can match our best three (Kaberle, Fraser, Reise) in terms of firepower, they are not close to as good defensively, and they don't have an answer to the Munro/Evans/Burke trifecta aside from Buswell.

- Goaltending is a huge mismatch. Cude is a two-time 2nd team all-star too, but under stranger circumstances. Resch was a legit 2nd team all-star twice, was superior to Billy Smith statistically while they played together, was considered a playoff hero until two bad games led to him losing the job to Smith (who ran with it), and after being traded continued to be regarded as one of the NHL's best goalies for years, and legitimately earned more all-star/norris votes playing for brutal teams, thanks solely to the eye test (providing evidence that his 2nd all-star teams were not just from being insulated by the powerful Isles) - also, he was desired enough that he was able to play until he was the NHL's oldest player by two years. He is, IMO, the draft's best goalie and Cude is perhaps above only Kirk McLean among starters.

- Nothing against Marc Crawford, but he's not a stellar MLD coach. Darryl Sutter is. In fact, Darryl Sutter is an ATD coach from this day forward. When you think of reasons why LA won the cup twice, his name comes up immediately. Crawford's name comes up only after Roy, Sakic, Forsberg, and likely a couple of other names - fair or not.

Your thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad