MLD 2014 play-in round: Birmingham Barracudas vs Peoria Rivermen

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
logosmallbarracudas3.gif

Jacques Lemaire

Slava Kozlov - Alexei Yashin - Tomas Sandstrom
Steve Vickers - Neal Broten - Steve Thomas (A)
Milan Lucic - Thomas Plekanec - Bob MacMillan
Alex Steen - Patrick Sundstrom - Grant Warwick

Barclay Plager (A)- Adrian Aucoin(C)
Joe Watson - Jeff Brown
Ian Turnbull - Dan Hamhius

Paddy Moran
Ron Hextall

SPARES : Adam Deadmarsh, Marty McSorley, Walter Smaill, Cory Stillman

PP1
Kozlov - Yashin - Sandstrom
Turnbull - Brown

PP2
Vickers - Broten - Thomas
Plager - Aucoin

PK1
Plekanec - Steen
Plager - Watson

PK2
Broten - MacMillan
Hamhius - Aucoin

VS:

peoria_rivermen.jpg

coach Dave Tippett

Ab McDonald - Paul Ronty - Anders Hedberg
Paul Henderson - Corb Denneny - Marian Stastny
Murray Murdoch - Barry Pederson - Stan Smyl (C)
Percy Galbraith - Ted Hampson (A) - Bobby Gould
Craig Simpson - Ulf Nilsson - Marcel Bonin

Jack Laviolette (A) - Oldrich Machac
Alexander Gusev - Kjell Samuelsson
Dimitri Yushkevich - Gordie Roberts
Harry Mummery

Chico Resch
Ryan Miller

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Make it a sweep for seventieslord's cousin with these three stars:

1. Alexei Yashin
2. Adrian Aucoin
3. Jeff Brown

Then I will know for sure I've gone to hell. (I guess seventieslord's assassination was taken widely to heart.)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Well make that two guys who are extremely pissed to even be in this series / are giving up.

VanI's comments are on the public record already. BB said to me two days ago after the results were released, "I will never do this again... Considering I was top 3 no question this is a boys club... **** wasting my time again... My team was drastically better than at least 4 of those teams... I'd of been OK with 4th. The fact I'm at the bottom is a joke... This ruined these for me going forward"

While I'm not as high on his team as he is (big surprise), I am surprised at his placement. It's hard not to think there's a "vote the noob last"mentality. Is it an old boys club? It's tough to get fully on board with that statement considering the oldest of the "old boys" is the other participant in this series.

I disagree that he put a lot of time in. No more than anyone else, I don't think. Without a computer (only a phone), it's not easy to do a lot of research. Most of his research was bouncing ideas off of me via Facebook messenger. Though I never once outright told him who to take, I gave him honest opinions whenever asked, and on a couple of occasions he even scooped me. With the advantages of being a very quick learner, having the guy in first place on speed dial and never once making a major misstep, he was a virtual guarantee to not produce a bottom-two team... And he didn't. But here he is. Oh well. Drafting good players is only part of it. For me, the real work starts there. You've gotta do some selling, at least, and he doesn't have the resources, the computer or the time/commitment to do that (which makes his level of disappointment all the more surprising). I thought the vsx tables would help him; his top 6 wingers are so strong all-around, then you add in the best scoring center and (arguably) the best two-way center...

The middle of this draft was so tight (both in my own opinion and in the final voting results) that it was plausible that we'd see one of these teams in this round, but to see both of them here (voted that way by a wide margin), and one of them ultimately bowing out meekly, doesn't seem right. I thought that honor should have belonged to another team.

VI, what exactly about my lineup review do you think caused your low ranking? I just reread it, and It was mostly positive. If it was widely taken to heart, I think your team would have fared better.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
seventieslord said:
At this point I'm tempted to just vote for whoever pays the most words in their series. One will do it. Doesn't even have to be about hockey; I'm not picky.
:laugh: That means you win this series!

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
While I'm not as high on his team as he is (big surprise), I am surprised at his placement. It's hard not to think there's a "vote the noob last"mentality. Is it an old boys club? It's tough to get fully on board with that statement considering the oldest of the "old boys" is the other participant in this series.

I think it's a bit of an old boys club as there are clear elements the voters like and if you don't include them, your team is in tough. That said, I think bb did a great job of picking up on the unwritten code of building an MLD team. The problem was everyone has kind of picked up on this code, which led to a bunch of similar looking teams. I could see this leading to the old boys club mentality coming in and ranking him lower than established veterans (which is the opposite of how it should be, you should give a tie to the newest member as they've had less time to figure out the system).

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
quick notes:

- Birmingham has the decided edge in scoring in the top 6, but with their left wingers, Peoria has intangibles better covered.

- bottom sixes are the same... Although Birmingham made the effort to have intangibles, Peoria made it a priority. There's more offense on Birmingham, but Pederson helps to offset that.

- Lemaire is just a more successful version of Tippett.

- Birmingham's defense is better in the sense that their post expansion players were much more relied on by their teams than Peoria's players were. But that blanket statement doesn't cover Laviolette, Machac and Gusev, so depending on how one values those three, it's plausible one could prefer Peoria.

- goalies are too close to call.

- still waiting for an answer about why my lineup review supposedly colored the voters' opinions on Peoria. If you're going to say something like that, back it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad