MLD 2012 Montagu Allan QF: Connecticut Whale vs. Montreal Maroons

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
18 Craig Simpson - 4 André Lacroix - 9 Allan "Scotty" Davidson (C)
19 George Richardson - 7 Normie Himes - 23 Brian Bellows
10 Jack McDonald - 13 Lorne Campbell - 17 Cecil Blachford
14 Gaétan Duchesne - 12 Ted Hampson (A) - 16 Rich Preston
15 Cully Dahlstrom - 24 Arthur Farrell

29 Kenny Jönsson (A) - 2 Anders Eldebrink
26 Dave Maloney - 8 Willie Mitchell
6 James Stewart - 27 Fredrik Olausson
3 Eric Brewer - 5 Jack Ruttan

1 Billy Nicholson
37 Tomáš Vokoun

Coach: Pete Muldoon

PP1: Craig Simpson - André Lacroix - Scotty Davidson - Anders Eldebrink - Fredrik Olausson
PP2: George Richardson/Jack McDonald - Normie Himes - Brian Bellows - Dave Maloney - Kenny Jönsson
PK1: Ted Hampson - Rich Preston - Willie Mitchell - James Stewart
PK2: Cecil Blachford - Gaetan Duchesne - Dave Maloney - Kenny Jonsson

VS

Randy Carlyle

Zach Parise - Syl Apps Jr. - Jiri Lala
Alex Tanguay - Dave Gagner - Joe Carveth
Shawn Burr - Mike Ricci - Grant Warwick
Carl Liscombe - Mike Fisher - Mike Grier
Mark Napier - Oren Frood

Pekka Rautakallio - Jay Bouwmeester
Uwe Krupp - Darryl Sydor
Doug Crossman - Baldy Spittal
Marek Zidlicky

Jean-Sébastien Giguère
Dwayne Roloson
Jose Theodore

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think the Maroons might have the best first line in the draft, and I think the key to this series might be how Connecticut deals with them.

Can Giguere and the Maroons first line carry them to the upset? Maybe

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think the Maroons might have the best first line in the draft, and I think the key to this series might be how Connecticut deals with them.

Can Giguere and the Maroons first line carry them to the upset? Maybe

Agree on both accounts. Would be nice to see the plan to contain that line... as well as the plan to make sure they can perform.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I unfortunately wasn't able to vote , so can't be too surprised to be low in the rankings.I think my team is better than the 7th place indicate.

That being said , good luck to Connecticut!

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I would imagine Duchesne-Hampson-Preston will see a lot of the Maroons top line, although if trailing I have enough confidence in the defensive abilities of Lacroix and Davidson that the top line could be ok against them. On defence, Willie Mitchell will be up against them as much as possible.

I'll have more about other aspects of this series tomorrow

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I think that a lot of the perception of the winner of this series will come down to how one values some of my more obscure older players in key roles like Richardson, Davidson, and Nicholson and to some extent Stewart, Campbell, McDonald, and Blachford. I tried in the bios to give as much of the relevant information available on them as possible.

I think Montreal is a better team than the 7th spot they received (BenchBrawl not voting would explain a bit of that). While they do have an impressive top line and top defense pair, I think my team's advantage is in depth. While goaltending and coaching are probably even, I think Connecticut's biggest advantage is it's defensive depth, where there is less of a drop off in quality between the pairings than on Montreal's side.The Whale also have an advantage in offensive depth, with Campbell and McDonald probably being significantly ahead in terms of offense to the Maroons' bottom six. I am also confident that the Whale have the defensive personnel necessary to help contain the Maroon's top offensive players and with home ice, will be able to use the matchups more often and easier than the Maroon. While the Maroon's forwards will be a tough matchup, overall I think Connecticut's defense will able to pull us through to the next round.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Connecticut has won the series in 5 games

Brian Bellows earned series MVP honors, while Billy Nicholson, Scotty Davidson, Jiri Lala, and Andre Lacroix earned all-star honors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad