MLD 2010 Sir Allan Montagu 1st round: #4 St. Mary's Huskies vs. #5 Belleville Bulls

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Sir Allan Montagu Quarterfinal Round

St. Mary's Huskies

coaches Joel Quenneville & Father David Bauer

Greg Sheppard - Mike Rogers - Bill Goldsworthy (A)
Danny Grant - Scott Gomez - Fred Whitcroft
Lorne Henning - Mike Ricci (A) - Leroy Goldsworthy
Zach Parise - Andy Blair - Dave Schultz
Alexei Zhamnov

Kenny Jonsson - Dave Maloney
Mattias Norstrom (C) - Pekka Rautakallio
Garry Galley - Sylvain Lefebvre
Tex Evans

Olaf Kolzig
Cam Ward

vs.

Belleville Bulls

coaches Marc Crawford & Brian Kilrea

Nikolai Drozdetsky - Josef Malecek - Carson Cooper
Tony McKegney - Nicklas Backstrom - Blaine Stoughton
Murph Chamberlain - George Gee - Pat Flatley
Steve Konowalchuk - Keith Acton - Don Saleski
Bob Kelly

Paul Shmyr - Dmitri Yushkevich
Doug Bodger - Lee Fogolin Sr.
Sergei Babinov - Fred Lake
Rick Smith

Kirk McLean
Marc-Andre Fleury

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Alright, hectic weekend out of the way. Here are the Huskies special teams.

Powerplay 1
Whitcroft - Rogers - B. Goldsworthy
Rautakallio - Galley

Powerplay 2
Parise - Gomez - Grant
Maloney - Jonsson

Penalty Kill 1
Ricci - Henning
Norstrom - Lefebvre

Penalty Kill 2
Sheppard - L. Goldsworthy
Maloney - Jonsson

Mark and I are hoping to get together tonight to discuss in person, hoping to post some arguments for the Huskies later tonight.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
A couple of general notes.

With home ice advantage, the Huskies will be pleased to match up Ricci's line with Malacek's line. With one of the better checking lines in the MLD, we are confident in our ability to limit the production of Belleville's top line. More specifically, we love having arguably the best purely defensive center in the MLD (voted second best bottop six center on the MLD all star team) match up against the biggest weapon of the opposition. We are also more than comfortable with Henning lining up opposite Cooper, and L. Goldsworthy opposite Drozdetsky.

The Huskies fully intend to roll all four forward lines, and hope to get Rogers' line out with the most frequency. The second and fourth line will both be relied on for secondary scoring, while both bringing different styles of attack. Depending on if the situation calls for it, coach Quenneville has indicated his willingness to slot B. Goldsworthy in for Schultz on the third scoring line (fourth line) when the opportunity presents itself, for the additional offensive threat. The fact that all four lines will see a good amount of even stregnth time means that Goldsworthy should be fresh enough to do so. Circumstances such as offensive zone faceoffs, shifts late in the period, or whenever we are down a goal or tied in the third.

All three of the Huskies defense pairings have the ability to move the puck and play sound defense. There are no flashy, or spectacular weapons, but also no real liabilities. We are comfortable enough with our defense to roll any of our pairings against any of Belleville's lines, as long as we get the desired matchups up front. Spreading the minutes relatively evenly over all three pairings at even stregnth should keep everyone pretty fresh. The fact that our top PP pair and top PK pair don't play on the opposite special teams units will help in the same regard.

Preliminary minute allocation (subject to adjustment):

Assuming 6 minutes of both PP and PK time, on average, per game.

Forwards
Name|PP|PK|ES|Total
Greg Sheppard|0|4|13|17
Mike Rogers|3|0|13|16
Bill Goldsworthy|3|0|15|18
Danny Grant|3|0|12|15
Scott Gomez|3|0|12|15
Fred Whitcroft|3|0|12|15
Lorne Henning|0|4.5|12|16.5
Mike Ricci|0|4.5|12|16.5
Leroy Goldsworthy|0|4|12|16
Zach Parise|3|1|11|15
Andy Blair|0|0|11|11
Dave Schultz|0|0|9|9
Total|18|18|144|180

Defense
Name|PP|PK|ES|Total
Kenny Jonsson|2|3|18|23
Dave Maloney|2|3|17|22
Pekka Rautakallio|4|0|15.5|19.5
Mattias Norstrom|0|3|16|19
Garry Galley|4|0|15|19
Sylvain Lefebvre|0|3|14.5|17.5
Total|12|12|96|120

Parise will fill in as required on the PK, and Blair will do the same on the PP.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Apparently I don't feel like working this morning, so I ended up coming accross this post from seventies regarding Malecek from the past MLD that I found to be intriguing.

seventieslord said:
Malecek is a real wild card, even in the MLD. He absolutely dominated the Czech league and european exhibition play. But the best measuring stick we have to be able to see how good he truly was, is his competition against Canadians, who were still the preeminent hockey nation by a long shot. If he proved he was significantly better than these Canadian amateurs, then a case could be made that he was an NHL-caliber player, or even a possible NHL star. But his international resume looks like this:

1924: 6 goals in 3 games. Led the Czechs, but was far behind all Canadians who were able to pile up goals against all teams. In this case the Canadians had a few players who would go on to NHL careers, like Hooley Smith.

1928: 2-1-3 in 2 games. Led the czechs. Dave Trottier, a marginal MLD player, had 15 points for Canada. Hugh Plaxton and Lou Hudson, more or less scrubs, had 14 and 7.

1930: Malecek played one game and was held scoreless. Not really a fair comparison.

1931: Malecek was 4-2-6 in 7 games and led the Czechs. Canadian scrus Blake Watson and Frank Morris had 6 and 7 goals in 6 games.

1933: Malecek was 10-2-12 in 7 games. He led the tournament in goals and points. The best Canadians had 5 and 6 points in 5 games. No Canadian player had any hope at an NHL career but it appears Malecek was better than them.

1934: Malecek was 1-3-4 in 5 games. Someone else on the Czechs actually scored 11 goals. Canada had 3 guys with 5 points in 4 games. None were past or future NHLers.

1935: Malecek was 12-2-14 in 7 games, leading the tournament in goals and points. Two other Czechs had 10 and 7 goals. Canada had players with 14, 12, 7, and 6 points in 7 games. None were past or future NHLers.

1936: Malecek was 5-4-9 in 8 games. Another Czech had 4 goals. There were Canadians with 21, 14, 11, and 11 points in 8 games. None of which are familiar names.

1937: Malecek was 9-3-12 in 8 games. Canada had 6 players with 10-14 points, none of whom are familiar.

1938: Malecek was 1-2-3 in 7 games. A number of other Czechs outscored him. This appears to have been a low-scoring tournament but Canada had three guys with 4+ points, all unfamiliar.

1939: As a last hurrah, Malecek put up 12 goals in 9 games to lead the tournament. Joe Benoit, a wartime NHL star, managed 11 points in 8 games. Bunny Dame, a scrub, had 13 points. The Canadians also featured Johnny McCreedy, who also managed a wartime NHL cup of coffee. He put up 7 points in 7 games.

I just don't know that he distinguished himself enough internationally.

Then, 7 years later, in 1946, the Russians began playing hockey, and only 8 years later, were better than the Czechs, so how good was Czech hockey in 1954? How good was it 20 years before that, in Malecek's prime?

I can't really rate Malecek as a good or bad 1st line center here, because I have serious doubts about his worthiness as an MLD player.
It realy begs the question, will Ricci have much trouble shutting him down at all? A high level defensive player in the best league in the world, versus one who couldn't manage to outperform amateur Canadian scrubs in international tournaments, but dominated a weak Czech league.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
It realy begs the question, will Ricci have much trouble shutting him down at all? A high level defensive player in the best league in the world, versus one who couldn't manage to outperform amateur Canadian scrubs in international tournaments, but dominated a weak Czech league.

As well I am concerend with Carson Cooper's playoff resume with 0 career playoff points in 7 career playoff games. Im not sure how much of an impact he will have as a top line scorer.

I think a very important and under-rated member of our team is Gregg Sheppard. His 72 career playoff points in 82 career playoff games bring in great playoff experience for our team. Almost as valuable is his ability to take draws which enables our centres to cheat when taking important face-offs late in the game or period. He will be playing the wing for us, but he is noted as an excellent draw man.

He was a mainstay in Boston for six seasons in all, scoring thirty or more goals three straight years -- and only a serious injury costing him much of the 1978 season cost him a fourth -- as well as proving himself as one of the league's premier faceoff men and penalty killers. He was named to play in the All-Star Game in 1976, during which he won the Bruins' Seventh Player Award as the team's unsung hero and the Elizabeth C. Dufresne Trophy for the player judged best in home games

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Mark, it's been a long road for us but I knew that eventually you'd be quoting my posts to make a point :D

Haha indeed you are correct. Technically it was Stalberg, but I am more than happy to use that infavour of our team.

It is apparent however while looking through all of the drafts that a player drafted by seventies will and most always receives the highest jump in the next draft. Your write-ups are informative and highly increase the value of those selected.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
As well I am concerend with Carson Cooper's playoff resume with 0 career playoff points in 7 career playoff games. Im not sure how much of an impact he will have as a top line scorer.
Sorry I haven't really had much of a chance to argue lately. I'm working often and I also have the ATD I'm working on.

But, will just respond to this by saying 7 games..is little to go on. 3 of those games were during his earlier times in the NHL..and even then..7 games is 7 games..I'll take his ability in the season over that. I'm not concerned about his playoff resume and I'm certainly not wooried about his top line scoring ability.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Haha indeed you are correct. Technically it was Stalberg, but I am more than happy to use that infavour of our team.

It is apparent however while looking through all of the drafts that a player drafted by seventies will and most always receives the highest jump in the next draft. Your write-ups are informative and highly increase the value of those selected.

Aww, stop it, you're making me blush.

You could say I am like a lawyer or salesman who can prove any point or spin anything, but in reality if the player doesn't have the goods my case would fall apart.

Yeah, I have definitely noticed that my guys get more recognition the next time... by that logic I should win these things, but I never do! My players don't get the respect they deserve until future drafts, I wish they would in the current draft for a change.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Sorry I haven't really had much of a chance to argue lately. I'm working often and I also have the ATD I'm working on.

But, will just respond to this by saying 7 games..is little to go on. 3 of those games were during his earlier times in the NHL..and even then..7 games is 7 games..I'll take his ability in the season over that. I'm not concerned about his playoff resume and I'm certainly not wooried about his top line scoring ability.

Agreed on this.

Less than 3% of Cooper's games played are in the play-offs. While he isn't a good play-off performer, his effectiveness in these drafts should be a reflection of his whole career. If the guy is an absolute stud in the play-offs, or a complete dud, then it's reasonable to let it heavily influence your judgement, but for most guys the difference is negligible.

Having said that, I'm still not a huge fan of Cooper on the first line, but he's decent I guess.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Agreed on this.

Less than 3% of Cooper's games played are in the play-offs. While he isn't a good play-off performer, his effectiveness in these drafts should be a reflection of his whole career. If the guy is an absolute stud in the play-offs, or a complete dud, then it's reasonable to let it heavily influence your judgement, but for most guys the difference is negligible.

Having said that, I'm still not a huge fan of Cooper on the first line, but he's decent I guess.

A 2nd and a 3rd in goals is pretty cool, though. I wish I could prove he was as tough as he looks in his pictures. If he was, you have a Red Hamill on offensive steroids (his offensive numbers are much more impressive in his era)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
A 2nd and a 3rd in goals is pretty cool, though. I wish I could prove he was as tough as he looks in his pictures. If he was, you have a Red Hamill on offensive steroids (his offensive numbers are much more impressive in his era)

Why are his weaker finishes, some of which came when half the best players were in the WHL, better than Hamill's?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Why are his weaker finishes, some of which came when half the best players were in the WHL, better than Hamill's?

if you look at his adjusted point totals year-by-year, the points he was putting up relative to league scoring levels was decidedly higher than those of Hamill.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Some quotes on Danny Grant incase some of you have missed them.

LOH Quote

he was strong on his blades. He was also characterized as a tough winger who was clever, worked hard and packed a swift, accurate wrist shot.

GHL:

Danny Grant never got the credit he deserved for being a good hockey player.

Grant immediately cracked the Minnesota line up, scoring a team-leading 34 goals and earning NHL rookie of the year honours in the 1968-69 season. The 34 goals became the modern day rookie record (since bettered).

Grant would continue to be a top marksman for the North Stars over the following five seasons, only once failing to notch at least 29 goals in a campaign. Though defined by his wrist shot, he was also noted as a clever and durable winger, once playing in 566 consecutive games.

he had to rely of hard work rather than glitzy skill that other teams' stars seemed to have.

Playing along side Marcel Dionne, Grant exploded for 50 goals and 87 points. He also was lauded for his defensive effort, and even became a regular on the penalty kill unit.

but Dionne also had a great respect for Grant, once calling him the "the best left winger I ever played with. He was always working, had a great shot and was always near the net."

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm just curious on who people think has more career value...Backstrom or Parise??

Parise = 5 total NHL seasons, 2 as an elite player, 1 with significant Hart consideration.

Backstrom = 3 total NHL seasons, 2 as an elite player, no significant Hart consideration but he plays on the same line as Ovechkin.

Neither has any real team playoff success, both have underwhelming but not bad personal stats in the playoffs.

Parise was fantastic in the 2010 Olympics. I don't remember Backstrom doing anything special.

Overall, I'd have to give a slight edge to Parise.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Parise = 5 total NHL seasons, 2 as an elite player, 1 with significant Hart consideration.

Backstrom = 3 total NHL seasons, 2 as an elite player, no significant Hart consideration but he plays on the same line as Ovechkin.

Neither has any real team playoff success, both have underwhelming but not bad personal stats in the playoffs.

Parise was fantastic in the 2010 Olympics. I don't remember Backstrom doing anything special.

agree.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario

Even I'll agree with that. I'm a huge fan of Parise, and in three years that answer may be different or it may not be. For now, it's pretty close but Zach does have the edge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad