OT: MLB Thread XV: Play Ball (Everyone is mediocre)

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
You wont get more for a guy who is walking in the offseason. Fedde would be an excellent return. The guy was looking like a top-10 pick before he had Tommy John. Still went mid 1st. He gets some impressive movement on his pitches.
They could possibly do better. Cubs and Indians can give a better prospect. If Theo offers Torres, they aren't saying no. Will be interesting to see how this ends.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Law says he heard Fedde, Glover who is a a fast moving relief pitcher with a plus fast ball who has gotten to AAA and another player he didn't mention.

Another report says Indians have the best players on the table according to MLBTR.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I'm not worried about position prospects for the Yanks. They have enough. I really like Sanchez, Bird, Mateo and Judge. People underrate Bird so much its criminal. I am looking forward to see how Rutherford eventually develops although I don't see him here for a long time. That said I am worried more about the pitching. I don't think there is an ace in the system. Not even a #2 starter. And pitching is harder to sign than position players. I guarantee you the Yankees will keep throwing money at position players. I know we could probably sign one of the top pitchers every year but the truth is I doubt any of the really good ones make it to free agency. We still need to develop about 3-4 starters. I don't know if Severino is a bust or what. Someone please talk to me about Yankee pitchers in the system who project to 2-4 starters.

And these guys:

James Kaprielian
Domingo Acevedo
Ian Clarkin
Jacob Lindgren
Drew Finley
Cale Coshow

I don't think any of them are aces. But tell me more.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm not worried about position prospects for the Yanks. They have enough. I really like Sanchez, Bird, Mateo and Judge. People underrate Bird so much its criminal. I am looking forward to see how Rutherford eventually develops although I don't see him here for a long time. That said I am worried more about the pitching. I don't think there is an ace in the system. Not even a #2 starter. And pitching is harder to sign than position players. I guarantee you the Yankees will keep throwing money at position players. I know we could probably sign one of the top pitchers every year but the truth is I doubt any of the really good ones make it to free agency. We still need to develop about 3-4 starters. I don't know if Severino is a bust or what. Someone please talk to me about Yankee pitchers in the system who project to 2-4 starters.

And these guys:

James Kaprielian
Domingo Acevedo
Ian Clarkin
Jacob Lindgren
Drew Finley
Cale Coshow

I don't think any of them are aces. But tell me more.

Lindgren is a reliever. Coshow may had that way too and he has the stuff to be a dominant RP. Kapri and Clarkin are #3 types. Clarkin has had trouble staying healthy. Acevedo has the highest upside (#2 type). Finley is a backend starter.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Out of all those guys, Acevedo has the highest chance of being an ace. He's got NBA power forward size and throws hard as hell. He definitely needs to keep working on his off speed stuff, which is the one thing holding him back. I think he has a solid shot to be another bullpen stud if starting doesn't work out.

Kaprielian doesn't have as high as of a ceiling as Acevedo, but has a lower floor. He should end up being a major league starter, a 3 or 4 type, as long as he can stay healthy. That's a big issue right now, though.

Clarkin is coming back from elbow issues and is having a decent, but not overwhelmingly good season. He has a good repertoire and is a lefty, but probably isn't an ace. He'll probably start next year in AA and it'll give us a chance to see what he's made of.

Lindgren and Coshow are both bullpen types. Lindgren got derailed by injuries. Otherwise, he might have been up with the big league club right now.

Finley is still young, but his ceiling is probably more as a mid-rotation starter. Still a lot of work to do in the minors, though. Probably won't make the majors until 2019, if he ever does.

As far as names beyond that, Chance Adams is having a fantastic year. He's a bit undersized but he sits in the mid 90s and has success in both high-A and AA this year. I still believe in Severino, too. He needs to refine his offspeed stuff, but he is much better than he played this season in the majors. They need to give him more time at the major league level to work on stuff. His changeup was supposed to be his second best pitch, but it wasn't being used correctly after he got called up.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Chapman is as sure of a thing as it gets as a closer. No prospect is a sure anything in baseball.
Get the Nats and Cubbies in a bidding war cause they may be on a collision course.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Absolutely ridiculous and as a fan a real kick in the nads. This team is going nowhere if they somehow manage to make it into the playoffs. Celebrating being .500 is a complete joke. Every team in the division is better than us, and this team imo has shown notning to make me believe they can go on the ridiculous run it would take to make the playoffs. The front office outside of Cashman is not watching this team, their just watching the flow of money.

This. This. This. ^^^^^^^^

Neither Hal S. nor Levine know ANYTHING about baseball in terms of building a team properly. Hal is a numbers/accounting guy and Levine is a lawyer who worked for Guilani. Everyone in baseball (including Cashman I hope) knows the NYY need to take a step or two back for a year or two. Get rid of the albatross contracts (likely through attrition); get younger, more athletic, hungrier, etc.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Chapman is as sure of a thing as it gets as a closer. No prospect is a sure anything in baseball.
Get the Nats and Cubbies in a bidding war cause they may be on a collision course.

It's not that there's doubts on how good Chapman is. It's just that a team acquiring him only gets him for 3 months. That's why some teams will hesitate to pay up.

Papelbon imploding today is perfect timing lol.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Out of all those guys, Acevedo has the highest chance of being an ace. He's got NBA power forward size and throws hard as hell. He definitely needs to keep working on his off speed stuff, which is the one thing holding him back. I think he has a solid shot to be another bullpen stud if starting doesn't work out.

Kaprielian doesn't have as high as of a ceiling as Acevedo, but has a lower floor. He should end up being a major league starter, a 3 or 4 type, as long as he can stay healthy. That's a big issue right now, though.

Clarkin is coming back from elbow issues and is having a decent, but not overwhelmingly good season. He has a good repertoire and is a lefty, but probably isn't an ace. He'll probably start next year in AA and it'll give us a chance to see what he's made of.

Lindgren and Coshow are both bullpen types. Lindgren got derailed by injuries. Otherwise, he might have been up with the big league club right now.

Finley is still young, but his ceiling is probably more as a mid-rotation starter. Still a lot of work to do in the minors, though. Probably won't make the majors until 2019, if he ever does.

As far as names beyond that, Chance Adams is having a fantastic year. He's a bit undersized but he sits in the mid 90s and has success in both high-A and AA this year. I still believe in Severino, too. He needs to refine his offspeed stuff, but he is much better than he played this season in the majors. They need to give him more time at the major league level to work on stuff. His changeup was supposed to be his second best pitch, but it wasn't being used correctly after he got called up.

Good analysis.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
It's not that there's doubts on how good Chapman is. It's just that a team acquiring him only gets him for 3 months. That's why some teams will hesitate to pay up.

Papelbon imploding today is perfect timing lol.

Pap is hot garbage. Imploding is what he does best. 3 months of AC is better than anything he can do.
The best part is the Yanks can offer him the most money and it won't cost them a pick.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Apparently the Cubs have pulled Torres from today's game.

Tell me why everyone loves this guy so much? I mean, I realize he's at A+ at 19, but is there really that much more potential in the bat?

EDIT: interesting, as you look at his last 90-, 60-, and 7-day OPS (.831, .888, 1.300, respectively) perhaps there IS more potential in the bat that's just starting to come to the fore...

Last edited:

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey

Tell me why everyone loves this guy so much? I mean, I realize he's at A+ at 19, but is there really that much more potential in the bat?
Better numbers than Mateo, 18 months younger at the same level. He's an impressive prospect, #24 on the top 100. Fedde is #66 FWIW.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

EDIT: interesting, as you look at his last 90-, 60-, and 7-day OPS (.831, .888, 1.300, respectively) perhaps there IS more potential in the bat that's just starting to come to the fore...

If you get a future 60 contact hitter with 50 power, and ability to stick at SS, thats an all star. I've read recent concerns about his conditioning, which could move him off SS, but even at 2B or 3B, he should be an MLB regular. His home park is tough on hitting, as well. I wouldn't worry about his numbers.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Torres + seems like a solid deal for the Yanks. The kid is supposedly a couple years away, but that's fine.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Once the Yankees begin acquiring this propsects they have to start developing them properly, which has been an issue in recent years. Have developed 1 everyday All Star type position player since Derek Jeter, which was Robinson Cano; no All Star type starting pitcher since Andy Pettite; and that's going back 20+ years. They have had guys who have had moments, but not on a consistent level for a sustained/extended period of time.

Picking near the bottom of the Amateur Draft hasn't helped, giving up draft picks to sign vets (I think the pick they gave up to Anaheim for signing Texeira turned into Mike Trout), some kids got hurt and/or never panned out.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada

#24 overall prospect in all of baseball, PLUS for Chapman? Color me pumped.

DON'T **** THIS UP, HAL.

Until or unless a deal is done, I don't have much confidence in him and the upper management of this organization (Hal, Levine, etc.) to not bleep this up. Cashman must be having to reinforce his point to them every 5 minutes.

Plus, Chapman must NOT be the only player they ship out. They still have pieces they can move without necessarily "giving up" on the season. Cashman needs to stand firm w/upper management/convince them the younger, cheaper type is the right way to go. If they have to retain salary to get better returns, do it.

Rock on, Cash.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Mets in on Jonathan Lucroy and two relievers from Brewers the cost is TdA and a blue chip prospect

I don't want their relievers. I read recently they wanted Szapucki and Wotell for them. No thank you.

If we are getting Lucroy, the only players I'm definitely not giving away are Rosario and Wheeler, but I'm also hoping they don't ask for Gimenez, Szapucki or Lindsay, although I'd reluctantly probably agree to give those players away. The rest I'd be okay giving away. I'm not the biggest Dom Smith fan. I know some have him as a top 50 prospect, but he's another 10 or 20 pounds from being too overweight to play 1B. Cecchini and Nimmo don't really have a spot on the team, give them away. I liked the Dunn pick, but if we keep the other starters, its hard to think there's going to be too many rotation spots open in the next few years, unless all the SP's are getting injured.

I think a fair package would be D'Arnaud+Smith or D'Arnaud+Dunn+Nimmo/Cecchini.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
More from Sherman:

See, now if we had RATIONAL upper management, I wouldn't be worried about the fact that they might win TOO much. If we had non-idiots running things, I could happily root for the team to win every game, knowing that our players, while still not good enough to contend, are increasing their value for potential deals. But because we have these tools Hal and Randy running things, a part of me has to worry that they're going to be fooled into doing the wrong thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad