OT: MLB Thread Part VII: Mots and Yonkos pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Mets only 2.0 games back and now rumored to be in negotiations to acquire a big bat. Exciting times for Mets fans.

rktaker

Not a pretty win by any means, but one we probably don't win two days ago. It's amazing what adding three halfway decent bats to the lineup can do.
yeah the trade is looking pretty okay so far

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The trade definitely helps. Its nice to now have some depth where we aren't bringing Eric Campbell off the bench to pinch hit in big situations, but the lineup still isn't good. Having a lineup that has Ruben Tejada and Kirk Niewenhuis in it is not good.

rktaker

The trade definitely helps. Its nice to now have some depth where we aren't bringing Eric Campbell off the bench to pinch hit in big situations, but the lineup still isn't good. Having a lineup that has Ruben Tejada and Kirk Niewenhuis in it is not good.

kirk has been doing pretty well since he came back from the angels still not good at all but if he can keep this up every little bit helps

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Tejada is good defensively and his .686 OPS honestly isn't bad at all. Yeah, you'd like to have an All Star-caliber player at every position, but Tejada doesn't really hurt you. I'm okay with him. Kirk is a good fourth outfielder. If he's hot, he's not a bad guy to have in the lineup. He shouldn't be out there every day though.

Fortunately for the Mets, their lineup doesn't have to be good. To make the playoffs, they really just have to be not-awful. Below average would be fine, average and they probably win the division (unless the Nats finally turn it on).

rktaker

mets really need to win their series against the nationals this week otherwise they have no shot at the playoffs

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
mets really need to win their series against the nationals this week otherwise they have no shot at the playoffs

They're 2 back of the Nats and 3 back of the Giants for the second WC spot. They can make it two ways. They need to start consistently winning series, but losing 2-of-3 to the Nats wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world.

rktaker

They're 2 back of the Nats and 3 back of the Giants for the second WC spot. They can make it two ways. They need to start consistently winning series, but losing 2-of-3 to the Nats wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world.
it is if the giants, cubs, and nats keep winning and mets keep losing

BarbaraAlphanse

I think they should groom Verrett to be the 7th inning guy. (If Mets make playoffs)

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Holy overstatement batman....This is like those who give up when its 1-0 in the first period of a Rangers game...60 more games to go a 3 game series next week is not do or die

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tejada is good defensively and his .686 OPS honestly isn't bad at all. Yeah, you'd like to have an All Star-caliber player at every position, but Tejada doesn't really hurt you. I'm okay with him. Kirk is a good fourth outfielder. If he's hot, he's not a bad guy to have in the lineup. He shouldn't be out there every day though.

Fortunately for the Mets, their lineup doesn't have to be good. To make the playoffs, they really just have to be not-awful. Below average would be fine, average and they probably win the division (unless the Nats finally turn it on).

I don't have a problem with Kirk as a 4th OF, but with the acquisitions we just made, Kirk should absolutely not be getting a start if Lagares sits. Everyone's always so worried about bad defense with this team, but reality is that we don't hit. Defense is not a big problem with our team. Shift Grandy to CF, Conforto and Johnson take RF and LF. That allows you to get Flores or Uribe's bat in the lineup instead of Kirk's, and thats a big difference. We need to stop worrying about fielding so much. We don't score runs. Get the best bats in the lineup and stop giving so many days off.

With Tejada, I just don't trust that he's going to hit. After how he's hit the last few seasons, I find it hard to believe that he's once again a decent hitter. If this is what he is, there wouldn't have been any SS discussions to begin with, but we saw the last few seasons that his offense wasn't what it had been.

rktaker

Holy overstatement batman....This is like those who give up when its 1-0 in the first period of a Rangers game...60 more games to go a 3 game series next week is not do or die

i don't think they will be able to make the playoffs if they lose two out of three or get swept by the nationals

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
i don't think they will be able to make the playoffs if they lose two out of three or get swept by the nationals

If they lost two of three they'd be three games back with 57 to play. Hardly out of it. Even if they were swept, five back with 57 to go is hardly insurmountable.

rktaker

If they lost two of three they'd be three games back with 57 to play. Hardly out of it. Even if they were swept, five back with 57 to go is hardly insurmountable.
if the offense fails again it would be difficult

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

They really can't get swept. I know it's only 5 out but the Nats have a cupcake schedule themselves too the rest of the way and they're going to be getting healthy too. I agree with you that losing 2 of 3 isn't the end of the world and in the grand scheme of things is pretty insignificant with 57 left but dropping 3 hurts both mentally and in the standings.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
They really can't get swept. I know it's only 5 out but the Nats have a cupcake schedule themselves too the rest of the way and they're going to be getting healthy too. I agree with you that losing 2 of 3 isn't the end of the world and in the grand scheme of things is pretty insignificant with 57 left but dropping 3 hurts both mentally and in the standings.

Plus Nats are getting bunch of their guys back.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So today I was catching up on prospects and the Nationals seem to have another top hitting prospect. 18 year old five tool outfielder who's the talk of minor league baseball. He'll probably dominate us like Harper does.

Why don't we develop hitting prospects like this? Its always pitching for us. We don't develop top hitters. The Nationals are going to bypass us if we don't start developing better hitting. They already have a great rotation, and they'll be able to add Giolito really soon. Our rotation advantage is probably going to be minimal, so it'll be crucial to close the gap on their hitting in the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad